Fan Clubs (beta)

Building Muscle

Guest Diablo

Guest Diablo

I've been working out alot more recently, and I was wondering, do genetics have anything to do with muscle building? Is there an inherent limit as to how big you can ultimately get?

Sorry if this comes across stupid.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Beltster

Genetics will dictate how big you can or cannot get. If you are naturally small framed and slim with narrow shoulders, you wont be able to jakk yourself up to a huge size without the use of steroids or other enhancement drugs. You will be able to get ripped up and lean though.

If, on the other hand, you are broad, you will be able to get bigger.

Everybody has their own maximum limit they can get to naturally, and once you hit it, you wont get any bigger regardless of how many weights you lift.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

Yeah like Belty said it depends how big you are to start with depends how much you will be able to add and how easy you find it to build them. Some people have no trouble building muscle quickly while others take ages to bulk up. It depends how quickly your body can repair the muscle fibers and that is determined by your genetics

Diet has alot to do with how big you will get too, eat the right stuff (lots of protein) and it will be much easier to build muscle mass

Edited by Nemesis Enforcer

Guest joe boy
Well with the genetics thing that can be funny,My dad spent years weightlifting taking supplements all sorts of crap and yeah he was riped but was'nt very big,me on the other hand i'm naturally big built i dont really work-out much but i keep a musculer frame but if my Dad stops pumping weights his muscle mass decreases rapidly,so like i say genetics can be weird but im not disagreing genetics obviously doe's play a big part. Edited by joe boy

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
I know the feeling Reno, I know you mean your whole body but I wish I could get my triceps bigger, my biceps I can really pump up easily and get a great peak on them but my triceps are always tiny in proportion no matter how much work I would put in on them :(

Guest joe boy
I know the feeling Reno, I know you mean your whole body but I wish I could get my triceps bigger, my biceps I can really pump up easily and get a great peak on them but my triceps are always tiny in proportion no matter how much work I would put in on them :(

Tip on the triceps thing,imagine your sitting on the sofa stay in the stance you would be if you were sitting slide off and push yourself up and down you will feel the burn if you do enough of them, i've found it very effective i hope i've explained it right :good222:

Guest dpddave
I've been working out alot more recently, and I was wondering, do genetics have anything to do with muscle building?

Genetics play a very small part. Train hard, lift heavy and eat more and you'll get bigger.

Is there an inherent limit as to how big you can ultimately get?

Nope. The more you eat the bigger you'll get. As your weight increase you'll have to up your food intake though. Diet is 90% of bodybuilding.

I wish I could get bigger. :(

Eat more.

Tip on the triceps thing,imagine your sitting on the sofa stay in the stance you would be if you were sitting slide off and push yourself up and down you will feel the burn if you do enough of them, i've found it very effective i hope i've explained it right :good222:

There called dips. Getting a pump or feeling "the burn" doesnt mean your actually building muscle. You could do biecep curls with a tin of beans and get a good pump but you wont be actually be making your biceps any bigger. It's just blood thats rushed to the muscle from working it.

Low reps with heavy weight is what you want. Trying doing dips with a weight in your lap to make it tougher.

Edited by dpddave

Genetics play a massive part if you are serious about it. If you're casual, then you won't see much difference between someone naturally gifted athlete or not. One person will find it easier and recuperate quicker, but there won't be a huge difference. If you are serious about it, then there is a really big difference between how the two people will react. People who are naturally very small cannot get big without a lot of hard work. People who are naturally big can. But it's not one sided, as the naturally small person is more likely to have greater endurance, to give just one example.

Getting into the scientific side of it, you will never see a top class bodybuilder with slow twitch muscle fibres. For the same reason you will never see the winner of a marathon with fast twitch muscle fibres. It is genetics.

And there is a limit to how big you can be. It's like what I said before about a small framed prson struggling to get big. There is a limit to what size his body will allow. You can't keep working at it and constantly get bigger when you are the size of Ronnie Coleman. It's not physically possible.

I wish I could get bigger. :(
Eat lots of protein and work out often enough, and you will be. You could be what all your friends consider a pretty big guy and definetly bigger than the average guy in the street. I guess it depends on how much you really want it because it is hard. But possible.

There are plenty of current WWE wrestlers who aren't naturally big, yet if you saw them in the street, you'd think they were built like a tank.

There are plenty of current WWE wrestlers who aren't naturally big, yet if you saw them in the street, you'd think they were built like a tank.

Yup. Take a look at Morrison for example. Compared to the other WWE guys he looks really skinny, but I assure you that a "normal" person stands up against him and looks tiny.

Guest Jimmy Redman

On the flipside to this, and mods can determine if this is relevant enough or not, but I keep thinking about getting fitter. Not so much to lose weight, but I'm not in great cardiovascular shape for an athlete, and I want my thighs and my stomach to...not be so big.

I'm not sure how dumb a question this is, but what should I do? Obviously to get cardio fit you do...cardio (urgh..), but should I bother with strength training for my abs and legs, considering those are the areas I want to trim down, or will that not make too much of a difference?

Guest Al Stevens
I'm not sure how dumb a question this is, but what should I do? Obviously to get cardio fit you do...cardio (urgh..), but should I bother with strength training for my abs and legs, considering those are the areas I want to trim down, or will that not make too much of a difference?

Actually that's something I could never figure out as well so it's not a dumb question, only dumb enough not to ask :good222:

On the flipside to this, and mods can determine if this is relevant enough or not, but I keep thinking about getting fitter. Not so much to lose weight, but I'm not in great cardiovascular shape for an athlete, and I want my thighs and my stomach to...not be so big.

To simplify it to a basic response, if you don't want to increase mass in those areas, you should avoid adding weight to the exercises and concentrate on toning the areas using stretching and repetition.

The basic tenets I've always used are:

1) To add mass, use heavier weights for fewer reps

2) To tone, use smaller weights with more reps

or

3) Use no actual weights and use (as said above) stretches and repetition

I've never went for the streamlined look (as anyone who has met me would be able to tell, lol), but it all boils down to what you actually want to achieve. With yourself, Jimmy, I would avoid anything that adds bulk to your frame and concentrate on cardio and toning exercises instead.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
Jimmy things like sit ups and squats (with no weights) is what you should be looking to do along with walking/jogging/running etc to slim down as they will tone your muscles but not add lots of mass to the area you are trying to slim down

Guest Jimmy Redman

Thats my main problem I think, I've a terrible diet. Well not terrible terrible, but I drink Coke and dont eat enough fruit & veg.

Thanks guys. Like I say, its not so much losing weight, and everything above my belly button is quite thin enough, its just the lower half I want to...disappear. I cant stand running or vegetables but I think I'm going to have to get used to the both of them.