Fan Clubs (beta)

Wrestling games - how do they evolve?

Guest MojoPogo

Guest MojoPogo

Taken from some of the opinion regarding TNA. Its great to see some competion on the wrestling game scene again, but i think its a flawed (but fun) entry into the genre. Given the fact the 2009 SvR is using basically the same engine again, but adding a create a finisher mode, what do we think genre needs in order for it progress to the next level? It could be argued that beyond graphics, we've yet to see the first truly next gen game that fully takes advantage of the undoubted capabilities of both XB360 and PS3?

Me? I would love a next gen Fire Pro. Fire Pro Returns i simply adore, though, like TNA its actually surprisingly light on modes. If i could have that moveset (comprehensive? its not whats in, its whats NOT in!), combined with next gen graphics, all the little graphical touches, such as the wrestlers acknowledging the crowd, and heels actually being heelish, and a solid, player interactive career mode, together with an online mode that doesnt suffer from terminal glitching or crashing, i think i could safely say i wouldnt need to buy another game.

What do you guys (and girls, and Zero) think?:xyx

Well, the oldest wrestling game in my collection is the aptly titled "Pro Wrestling" on the Sega Master System. Wrestling games have evolved heaps since then. :lol That game has Tag Team matches only, and for some insane reason, they are 10 falls.:eek

I would like to see realistic body damage in wrestling games, for example, if you hit your opponent with a barbed wire bat, the place you hit them is where they bleed.

The other thing I'd like to see in the future, is the ability to botch moves. This would mean it would involve lots more skill to pull off harder moves, and would add an interesting element to the matches.:)

EDIT - Just thought of this. Maybe there should be a mode in future wrestling games in which the player has to get over with the crowd?

Edited by ShaolinHandLock

Guest MojoPogo
As much as the Legends of Wrestling games were flawed, i loved the territories system, maybe also bring that back as a way of building up your CAW. Why should a career be all about TV?

Guest Jimmy Redman
As much as the Legends of Wrestling games were flawed, i loved the territories system, maybe also bring that back as a way of building up your CAW. Why should a career be all about TV?

Because its 2008?

Not trying to mock, but a territorial style of game would seem anachronous considering wrestling isnt like that anymore. Unless it was within a throwback 'Legends' type of game.

Guest MojoPogo
Because its 2008?

Not trying to mock, but a territorial style of game would seem kind of redundant considering wrestling isnt like that anymore. Unless it was within a throwback 'Legends' type of game.

Well, in the current WWE, they still have Florida Pro, how about a little period where the storyline evolves around that? Instead of the poor excuse for a storyline in SvR 2008....

Guest Al Stevens

Dont ask me why I have always thought that there should be a wrestling game which uses the best parts of the Raw vs Smackdown games with the graphics of say TNA and maybe the game play of Fire plus pro. However combine that within a style of play like a forza/Grand Tursimo style game.

For example you choose where you come from lets say, you start in the UK at a midlands based promotion then you start working at one place and then as you start to improve then you do more shows which leads to moving around the UK. Then once you have done enough then you get the chance to do tours else where around the world which would lead you to get noticed by the "big leagues".

Of course not using the names of TNA or WWE cause I dont think they would let there licence and logo appear. However that would be something I would A be very very interested in playing and I think it would give a really long game play

Well, in the current WWE, they still have Florida Pro, how about a little period where the storyline evolves around that? Instead of the poor excuse for a storyline in SvR 2008....
Mainly because when a guy gets to WWE, he rarely, if ever, is acknowledged as wrestling anywhere else (even their own developmental feds), so having your character start out on WWE TV is consistent with the product as it is today.
Dont ask me why I have always thought that there should be a wrestling game which uses the best parts of the Raw vs Smackdown games with the graphics of say TNA and maybe the game play of Fire plus pro. However combine that within a style of play like a forza/Grand Tursimo style game.

For example you choose where you come from lets say, you start in the UK at a midlands based promotion then you start working at one place and then as you start to improve then you do more shows which leads to moving around the UK. Then once you have done enough then you get the chance to do tours else where around the world which would lead you to get noticed by the "big leagues".

Of course not using the names of TNA or WWE cause I dont think they would let there licence and logo appear. However that would be something I would A be very very interested in playing and I think it would give a really long game play

I can understand why you would like that, but I doubt it would sell, regardless of quality. There have been countless games that are brilliant, yet sell virtually nothing (Beyond Good & Evil, Ico/Shadow of Colossus, Fahrenheit, etc), so while this wrestling game sounds good, I doubt there would be a mass-market for it with the TNA and WWE games being fully licensed and filled with wrestlers the casual fan would recognise.

Guest Al Stevens
I can understand why you would like that, but I doubt it would sell, regardless of quality. There have been countless games that are brilliant, yet sell virtually nothing (Beyond Good & Evil, Ico/Shadow of Colossus, Fahrenheit, etc), so while this wrestling game sounds good, I doubt there would be a mass-market for it with the TNA and WWE games being fully licensed and filled with wrestlers the casual fan would recognise.

Oh I highly doubt if it was released it would bomb and bomb hard, however people are interested in playing WWE games which are a low end simulation feel. However that would brilliant to give causal gamers a chance to see what it really is like to live the world of pro wrestling alot better than getting a chance to appear on Raw, Smackdown or ECW

Oh I highly doubt if it was released it would bomb and bomb hard, however people are interested in playing WWE games which are a low end simulation feel. However that would brilliant to give causal gamers a chance to see what it really is like to live the world of pro wrestling alot better than getting a chance to appear on Raw, Smackdown or ECW
I disagree. I think it would bomb.

As for what it's "really like", the average fan, IMO, wouldn't be interested in a simulation whereby you were a British indy wrestler taking a £10 payday wrestling in front of 50 people in a sports centre gym hall.

Guest MojoPogo
It doesnt need to be what its "really like", but a bit more variety and substance would be nice. Weapons that actually finish matches, less "hands through throat" moments, proper damage showing (as has been suggested before), with WWE, i just want to have a little more influence on the storyline itself. Personally, i thought Smackdown HTCP just about had it nailed. Give me next gen graphics, with a roster of similar quality and some storyline choice and i'll be a happy camper. Unlikely to happen given current market conditions, but still. Its nice to dream.

In regards to weapons, I would like them to go back to the No Mercy style of weapons and be able to lay them on the mat/floor before performing any move in the moveset onto them. Dropping someone with a piledriver/powerbomb/DDT/etc onto a chair was always a highlight of the Nintendo classic.

I mean, if they can work out how to do it with a game that is from two generations ago, then surely they can do it now.

Also, a return of the HCTP-style chairshots would be a bonus too.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Da Showstoppa

Ultimate wrestling game:

Gameplay and control system of No Mercy,

Graphic polish of Smackdown 2009

Roster and customisation of Fire Pro - with the CAW system of No Mercy allied with the flexibility of Smackdown's

Steve if you're after a more building up style of game, have you tried Adam Ryland's Total Extreme Wrestling 2008? Sure, a wrestling management sim, but still highly fun and addictive and can enable you to play some more 'dreams' if you will of starting small and working big.

It retails at about £20 from Grey Dog Software online, and it's worth the money, I made the purchase last week :)

Guest Al Stevens
Steve if you're after a more building up style of game, have you tried Adam Ryland's Total Extreme Wrestling 2008? Sure, a wrestling management sim, but still highly fun and addictive and can enable you to play some more 'dreams' if you will of starting small and working big.

It retails at about £20 from Grey Dog Software online, and it's worth the money, I made the purchase last week :)

Ahh coolies mate, I will have to look at it when i get a chance

Guest spennyboy

Not herd of this before, gonna grab it now and take a look.

Demo: http://www.greydogsoftware.com/downloads.php?id=78

Some images;

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/images/tew2008/TEW2008_1.bmp

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/images/tew2008/TEW2008_2.bmp

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/images/tew2008/TEW2008_3.bmp

I downloaded the demo yesterday and played the month's worth your allowed on the demo.It was great,really fun.I have never played any of these types of game before and now I'm highly tempted to buy the full version.