Fan Clubs (beta)

Your Top 10 Movie Characters of All-Time

Guest DarkMatchJobber

Guest DarkMatchJobber

Harder than naming your top 10 films of all time?

My Top 10

1) Tony Montana aka Scarface - from the film Scarface

Watching the rise and fall of Tony from being just another immigrant to power player and then his untimely demise was cinematic greatness.

2) Vito Corleone aka The Godfather - from the film The Godfather

Marlon Brando was a legendary actor and he made this role so believable and played it so respectfully and with such ability that the real-life Mafia families actually started using the term 'Godfather' again.

3) Auric Goldfinger - from the film Goldfinger

He had a seemingly fool-proof plot to destroy all the gold in Fort Knox thus making himself richer and more powerful in the world but of course 007 foiled it...still I never forget the interaction between Goldfinger and Bond during the torture scene. Bond " Do you expect me to talk Goldfinger? "

Goldfinger " No Mr Bond...I expect you to die! "

4) Frodo - From Lord of the Rings trilogy

Brilliantly acted out by Elijah Wood you couldn't help but feel sorry for the young hobbit who is going from day to day enjoying life when suddenly unknown forces decide he should be bestowed with the one ring and before you know it he's on a quest he didn't want to be on which challenges him mentally,physically and emotionally.

5) Neo - From The Matrix trilogy

Keanu Reeves did a great job as the chosen one called Neo and the way the films teased whether or not he actually was the one meant to defeat the machines was expertly done.

6) Tommy DeVito - From Goodfellas

Joe Pesci was so unpredictable as Tommy because one moment he'd be laughing and joking around but the next he'd turn into a complete psychopath! (and sometimes he was funny when he was being a psycho)

7) Michael Myers - From the Halloween movies

He never speaks,he never shows any emotion or compassion yet behind his mask you can tell he is still an angry young man.

One of the few villains who does not need to say anything to create an atmosphere of fear and dred,all he needs is a trusty kitchen knife.

8) Mr. Blonde - From Reservoir Dogs

Michael Madsen was great as the sarcastic,wise-cracking but sadistic Mr. Blonde who was part of a bank heist that was somehow anticipated by the police which led to the revelation that someone in the gang who robbed the bank was 'a rat'.

Mr. Blonde had great fun 'interrogating' a cop that he had taken hostage but informed the unlucky enforcer of the law " I don't care what you do or don't know...I'm going to torture you anyway "

9) King Leonidas - The 300

The recent remake of the 300 Spartans was a very enjoyable film and in my opinion the main reason for that was the passionate performance of the Leonidas character who dared to oppose the Persian empire despite the significant numbers advantage they had.

10) Ripley - from the Alien quadrilogy

Sole survivor of the first film and it seems bad luck follows her everywhere as she encounters the alien species in a further three films and each time they have evolved even further and become even more dangerous.

1. Ashley J Williams - Evil Dead Trilogy

"Groovy."

The baddest mother-hubbard ever to walk this or any other Earth. 'Nuff said.

2= Joliet Jake E. Blues and Elwood J. Blues - The Blues Brothers

"No ma'am... we're musicians"

Can't split 'em. Just brilliant characters, brilliantly written and brilliantly played.

4. Lucas - Empire Records

"Who knows where thoughts come from? They just... appear?"

The wisest of wise men from the gang at Empire Records, prone to a bit of gambling and shoplifter chasing, all while Damning The Man.

5. John McClane - Die Hard Quadrilogy/Every Bruce Willis Action Movie Ever

"Yippie-Kiy-Yay, mother hubbard!"

It's John McClane! He doesn't need an explanation! He's just... John Freakin' McClane!!!

6= Randall - Clerks/Clerks II

"Hey, I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

And he does. I based my entire time at Blockbuster video upon the wise teachings of this Clerking God.

8= The Dude & Walter - The Big Lebowski

"You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me."

John Goodman and Jeff Bridges just act their ass off, I don't think the pair have ever been better. Such a quotable movie, but sadly not on a family friendly site heh heh.

10. Martin Blank - Grosse Pointe Blank

"What am I gonna say? 'I killed the president of Paraguay with a fork. How've you been?' "

Vastly under rated movie, and a great character in Martin Blank. John Cusack really is the coolest man alive, and this is him at his best.

It is harder than naming my top ten films.

Jules Winnifield (Samuel L Jackson)- Pulp Fiction.

Frank Slade (Al Pacino) - Scent Of A Woman.

The Joker (Heath Ledger) - The Dark Knight

John Coffey (Michael Clarke Duncan) - The Green Mile

Forrest Gump (Tom Hanks) - Forrest Gump

Maximus Decimus Meridius (Russel Crowe) - Gladiator

Vito Corleone (Marlon Brando) - The Godfather

Tony Montana (Al Pacino) - Scarface

John H Miller (Tom Hanks) - Saving Private Ryan

Neil McCauley (Robert De Niro) - Heat

In no paticular order

Stiffler-American Pie

Lester-American Beauty

Tony Montana-Scarface

Snake Pliskken-Escape from New York/Escape from L.A

Freddy Kruger-A Nightmare on Elm street

Patrick Bateman-American Psycho

Annie-Misery

De Niro-Taxi Driver

The original Psycho bloke cant think of his name-Psycho

Brendon Lee-The Crow

Guest The Beltster

1. Dutch - Predator

2. Rocky Balboa - Rocky

3. Capt Picard - Star Trek (Specifically First Contact)

4. Marty McFly - Back to the Future

5. Peter Venkman - Ghostbusters

6. Shaun/Ed - Shaun of the Dead

7. Skeletor - Masters of the Universe

8. Daniel Larusso/Mr Myagi - Karate Kid

9. Conan - Conan the Barbarian/Destroyer

10. Chunk - The Goonies

1. Dutch - Predator

2. Rocky Balboa - Rocky

3. Capt Picard - Star Trek (Specifically First Contact)

4. Marty McFly - Back to the Future

5. Peter Venkman - Ghostbusters

6. Shaun/Ed - Shaun of the Dead

7. Skeletor - Masters of the Universe

8. Daniel Larusso/Mr Myagi - Karate Kid

9. Conan - Conan the Barbarian/Destroyer

10. Chunk - The Goonies

I raise you're Dutch from Predator and put in my list (which is in no particular order)

• Sgt. Blain Cooper - Predator: "Bunch of slack-jawed faggots around here. This stuff will make you a god damned sexual Tyrannosaurus, just like me."
  • The Crow - The Crow: "Victims; aren't we all?"
  • Vincenzo Coccotti - True Romance: "The Sicilian Scene" is a work of art that should be seen by everyone.
  • Lucas - Empire Records: "Jane, did you compare the percentage of teenage male Rex Manning fans to the incidence of homosexuality amongst teenage males?"
  • Blade - Blade II: You obviously do not know who you are F*CKING WITH!
  • Jared Nomak - Blade II: "Vampires. I hate vampires"
  • The Dude - The Big Lebowski: "I've had a rough night and I hate the f*cking Eagles, man."
  • Creasy - Man on Fire: "Okay, my friend. It's off to the next life for you. I guarantee, you won't be lonely."
  • Kyle Reese - The Terminator: "Listen and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with, it can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear, and it absolutely will not stop. Ever. Until you are dead."
  • Virgil - True Romance: "Now the first time you kill somebody, that's the hardest. I don't give a sh*t if you're f*ckin' Wyatt Earp or Jack the Ripper. Remember that guy in Texas? The guy up in that f*ckin' tower that killed all them people? I'll bet you green money that first little black dot he took a bead on, that was the bitch of the bunch. First one is tough, no f*ckin' foolin'. The second one... the second one ain't no f*ckin' Mardis Gras either, but it's better than the first one 'cause you still feel the same thing, y'know... except it's more diluted, y'know it's... it's better. I threw up on the first one, you believe that? Then the third one... the third one is easy, you level right off. It's no problem. Now... sh*t... now I do it just to watch their f*ckin' expression change."

My top ten movie characters are:

1. Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) - Pirates of the Caribbean

2. Ichabod Crane (Johnny Depp) - Sleepy Hollow

3. Sugar Kane (Marilyn Monroe) - Some Like It Hot

4. Austin Powers (Mike Myers) - Any of the Austin Powers Movies

5. Dr. Evil (Mike Myers) - Austin Powers

6. Ace Ventura (Jim Carrey) - Ace Ventura Pet Detective

7. Insp. Clouseau (Peter Sellers) - A Shot in the Dark

8. Terminator (Arnold Schwarzenegger) - The Terminator

9. Edward Scissorshards (Johnny Depp) - Edward Scissorhands

10. James Bond (Sean Connery) - Dr. No

EDIT: Honourable mention to the guy in the rubber suit in all the Godzilla movies.

Edited by Fiona

1. Darth Vader - Star Wars

2. Dark Helmet - Spaceballs

3. Ellen Ripley - Alien(s)

4. Boba Fett - Empire

5. Donkey - Shrek

6. Louis Tulley - Ghostbusters

7. Doc Emmett Brown - Back to the future.

8. Jules Winnfield - Samuel L. Jackson

9. Lt Mike Harrigan - Predator 2

10. Martin Riggs - Lethal weapon

Ok, this will be fun. :)

Honourable mention to the guy in the rubber suit in all the Godzilla movies.

NOTE: Honorable mention to the guy in the Godzilla suit from me too! Godzilla was played by Haruo Nakajima from 1954 to 1973. Legend has it that they drained cups full of sweat from the suit every time they stopped filming!

1. Sam Seed (Yuen Siu Tien, various films) - Played by the father of Yuen Wo Ping (who choreographed the Matrix films among other things), the character of Sam Seed was in many classic Kung Fu films including Drunken Master, Blind Fist of Bruce Lee, Master With Cracked Fingers and many many more. He is the typical old Kung Fu master, who is usually a comedy character, making him instantly steal the show in any film he's in. Unfortunately, Yuen Siu Tien passed away before all of Sam Seed's appearances could be fulfilled.

2. Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory) - Even though Willy Wonka was a book character first, Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka was perfect. Then Johnny Depp stepped in and made a travesty of it.

3. James Bond (various actors, James Bond Series) - In my opinion, the best spy franchise ever, and the best spy character ever.

4. Gord Brody (Tom Green, Freddy Got Fingered) - I can't remember the last time a film character made me laugh so hard.

That's all I can think of right now! :xyx

Edited by ShaolinHandLock

2. Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory) - Even though Willy Wonka was a book character first, Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka was perfect. Then Johnny Depp stepped in and made a travesty of it.

Hahaha! Love it!

Hahaha! Love it!

Well it's true. I can just imagine the makers of the Johnny Depp version at work:

Movie Producer Guy: "Let's discard the classic Willy Wonka that everyone knows and loves, and replace him with a freakish mixture of Marilyn Manson and Michael Jackson!"

That's a great way to ruin my favorite film from my childhood. :lol

EDIT - I forgot to mention that this is the reason I refuse to see the Johnny Depp version. I haven't seen it, and I refuse to see it.

Edited by ShaolinHandLock

Even though its closer to the book verson?

I read the book when I was a kid, and I don't remember it too well. I grew up with the Gene Wilder version, and regardless of whether the Johnny Depp version is closer to the book, the Gene Wilder version is the one I prefer.

I still say that Johnny Depp's version is freaky though, from what I have seen of it (which isn't much).

Ok, here it goes for the rest of my list:

5. Dark Helmet (Spaceballs) - Another of the favorite films of my childhood, I prefer Spaceballs to Star Wars (hope this doesn't cause an argument :)). Dark Helmet is the perfect Star Wars spoof character (next to Yoghurt of course). "May the shwartz be with you!" :lol

6. Tetsuo (Akira) - This is a classic Anime film, and Tetsuo is a very multidimensional character. Such is the character of Tetsuo, he is hard to describe.

7. Kenshiro/Ken (Fist of the North Star) - From another classic Anime film, Kenshiro is the embodiment of toughness. All he has to do is touch your head, then your head will explode!

8. Terminator (Arnold Shwartzenegger, Terminator Series) - Only three words are needed for this one: "I'll Be Back".

9. Billy Madison (Adam Sandler, Billy Madison) - I just had to include this character on my list somewhere. Billy Madison is incredibly dumb, and incredibly hilarious. "O'Doyle Rules!" :lol

10. The Evil Guy With a Mustache (Just about every Kung Fu film ever made) - This character has been portrayed so many times, you get used to it after a while! Typically, they will murder the father or uncle of the hero, and laugh maniaclly whenever talking about their evil plans. I have seen this character in at least 50 Kung Fu films, most likely more, and even though the character has a different name in each film, they all act identically.

NOTE: Honorable mention to the guy in the Godzilla suit from me too! Godzilla was played by Haruo Nakajima from 1954 to 1973. Legend has it that they drained cups full of sweat from the suit every time they stopped filming!

I have see them both and i think Johnny Depp's verison was bad compared to the first

Absolute blasphemy. :info7:

The Johnny Depp version was fantastic. I may be a little biased as I love Johnny Depp. He could play a wheelbarrow and I would think it's great. :P

Didn't know that about the guy in the rubber Godzilla suit. He's one of my hero's.:worship

Hahaha! Love it!

I thought you might. You and I will have a hard talk later about this.:)

1. Ashley J. Williams.

From wimpy college student to chainsaw swingin', boostick blastin' badass. He also has some great one-liners. He is the ultimate movie character, he has it all. Plus I'm pretty sure that he could kick Michael Myers, Jason Vorhees, Freddy Krugers and Leatherfaces asses all at the same time.

I'll post the rest later.

I read the book when I was a kid, and I don't remember it too well. I grew up with the Gene Wilder version, and regardless of whether the Johnny Depp version is closer to the book, the Gene Wilder version is the one I prefer.
How can you prefer it over something you haven't seen? You may be surprised and actually like the Depp incarnation, but without seeing it for yourself, you can't give a fair comparison.

Guest Dusty Finish

Central database crash at work means I've had a while to think about this one....

Alas, I've had to bump a few personal favourites (honourable mentions to Carlito Brigante & Garth Algar), plus regrettably no room for Walter from The Big Lebowski, as if you include him you can't leave out The Dude or Jesus. A few have already appeared, but.....

10. Kilgore (played by Robert Duvall) in Apocalypse Now.

Three simple words.... "Charlie don't surf!"

9. Bridget Gregory (Linda Fiorentino) in The Last Seduction.

The archetype movie bitch. Yet so inticingly hot because of it.

8. Lester Burnham (Kevin Spacey) in American Beauty.

You know how women say Bridget Jones sums up how they "feel"? Surely all men over the age of 25 who've ever had a long term relationship go stagnant whilst simultaniously lumbered with a "career" that's going nowhere fast can feel great empathy with Lester.

7. Sherrif Marge Gundersen (Frances McDormand) in Fargo.

Bumbling, expectant-mother bumpkin is in waaaay over her head investigating a kidnapping conspiracy, the only catch being, she hasn't actually got a clue about this fact. A truly original creation, yah? "YAAAH!!"

6. Max Cherry (Robert Forster) in Jackie Brown.

Tarantino is king of the cool-cats and snappy dialogue, but never before or since had a character as subtle or idonsyncratic as stoic, disillusioned middle-aged bail bondsman Max Cherry integrated one of his films. In amongst star turns like DeNiro, Samuel L, Michael Keaton and Pam Grier's offbeat anti-heroine- plus Bridget Fonda being smoking hot in a trailer-trashy kinda way- lifelong D-Lister Forster manages to steal the whole show.

5. Tommy DeVito (Joe Pesci) in Goodfellas.

"Funny like a clown?" Although I actually prefer the whole "Shinebox" scene with Billy Batts. No explanation needed- Tommy is a scream.

4. Randall Graves (Jeff Anderson) in Clerks/Clerks II.

THE most quotable character of all time. Many a time I have "Randalled" out of the pub at 11:15pm. That the "Sex Nuts and Retard Strong" scene was cut from the final version of the sequel is the biggest travesty of the 21st century to date. The Lord Of The Rings bashing scene from Clerks II sums up exactly my personal thoughts on that particular trilogy. SO many quotes.....

3. Travis Bickle (Robert DeNiro) in Taxi Driver.

Another character easy at times to completely relate to. Mick Foley's diatribe about how any character "must always believe he is right" leads me to think of Bickle every time. Driven by a touch of Walter Mitty-syndrome and inspired in equal parts by his disdain for his surroundings and his own personal social ineptness (witness his oft-clumsy and woefully inappropriate attempts to woo Cybil Sheppard), Travis Bickle is the blueprint anti-hero.

2. Clarice Starling (Jodie Foster) in Silence Of The Lambs.

Although all the plaudits go to Hopkins' delightfully noir Lecter- and the "fava beans and a nice chianti" line is waaaay overquoted now- Starling is the heartbeat and lifeforce behind the greatest thriller of modern times. She is woman, yet in herself she is sexless- while all around chortle or ogle, she's far too (pre)occupied to concern herself with such trivialities. Yet the fact that she's so vulnerable- a female trainee agent thrust headlong into a man's world- is what gives Silence... it's cutting edge. I like the Mikey Whipwreck/1-2-3 Kid analogy: both underdogs, but while The Kid was cool and everything, he was fearless, hence he lacked that connection. With Mikey... you knew he was bricking it, therefore you were terrified for him. Julianne Moore hadn't a chance of following such a tour de force.

1. Michael Corleone (Al Pacino) in The Godfather Trilogy.

I made the mistake of believing that The Godfather was the story of Vito/Brando. Okay, in a way it kind of is, but ultimately it's the slow-burning yarn of Michael's simultanious ascent (up the ranks of the Family) and descent (into the slavery of ultimate corruption). The journey of the war hero who tells Diane Keaton in the opening scenes of Part I "That's my family, Kay; it's not me", to the icy besuited Don who closes the kitchen door on his wife and stands alone and motionless as his brother Fredo is executed on his say-so, is truly an epic one.

"I know it was you, Fredo. You broke my heart."