Fan Clubs (beta)

Best scored movie

Guest The Beltster

Guest The Beltster

Which movie do you think was scored the best? I dont mean your favourite, moreso which do you think had the perfect music to compliment the film?

I'm a pretty big fan of full orchestal scores to be honest, I think Hans Zimmer did a great job on the Pirates Trilogy, and I think Basil Poledouris' work was/is great.

I think I'd have to go with Conan the Barbarian. For me, the greatest example of a movie score totally complimenting the film. I think I read somewhere once that there is music playing through like 90% of the film.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
I thought The Lord Of The Rings trilogy had a great score throught all 3 movies but esspecially Return of the King. Not sure ifs the best score in any film ever but its what is comming to my mind when I think of a great score to compliment a movie

Guest The Beltster
Are we classing soundtracks (songs from/inspired by the movie) as different from scores (instrumental pieces of music)?
No, either or is fine.

For the best music I would have to say Chicago. I don't know if I answered the question right or not. But I enjoyed the songs in that one.
Do you just like the songs, or do you think Chicago is the best example of a song and score being perfectly matched, thats pretty much my question :)

A score to me is an instrumental piece from a film, either composed previously by someone else or specifically for the film.

But in the end, it's all down to Ennio Morricone. A Fistfull of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, and especially The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

For me Morricone is the Daddy as far as film scores go. My own personal favourite score is for 'Once Upon a Time in the West' in which each central character has their own personal 'theme tune' if you will. This being the best of em' all:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

(On a wrestling note for a second, that was also the entrance music for The Funker during his '89 run which went with Funk like bacon and eggs go together)

More from the master:

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

I did also always love the main score from 'The Last of the Mohicans', used particularly tremendously in the BADASS cliff scene at the end of the film:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLIWDdmd-uY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLIWDdmd-uY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

And of course, the classical piece from 'Raging Bull' deserves a mention for not only being a brilliant piece on its own but for accompanying one of the greatest opening sequences ever on film:

Thems be some scores right there.

Do you just like the songs, or do you think Chicago is the best example of a song and score being perfectly matched, thats pretty much my question :)

I would have to say that the songs and score matched perfectly. I really enjoyed the movie and I was singing "All that Jazz" for weeks afterwards.:P Best part of the movie was the "Cell Block Tango". I will look for the video on Youtube.

EDIT: here is the video off Youtube

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> Edited by Fiona

My favorite is Ecstasy of Gold:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdNh9f2Wwm0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdNh9f2Wwm0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Man, if we're talking 'The Good, the Bad and the Ugly' then you gots to have the central theme mentioned.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVnoaPPpWog&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVnoaPPpWog&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

If you've ever seen Morricone in concert (not that I have but I've seen a few videos on youtube) conducting an orchestra, it's amazing how much work and man power goes into one of those single scores.

We could do this for ages couldn't we?

Why yes. Yes we could.

'Once Upon a Time in America'

Him and Leone go together like a horse and carriage.