Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

Wrestlers You Loved/Hated As A Youngster?

Guest DarkMatchJobber

Guest DarkMatchJobber

Remember when you didn't know wrestling was scripted?

Remember when you genuinely couldn't stand the bad guys and went mad for the good guys?

Basically this isn't a 'smart' thread just felt nostalgic so which wrestlers did you love/hate as a youngster? (anyone who mentions work rate isn't playing to the theme :))

I Loved

Tatanka - He was all kinds of awesome from his entrance music to the mad dash he did round the ring when his opponents tried to smash his head on a turnbuckle.

Bret Hart - Liked him because he had good catchphrases and seemed like an all-out good guy.

British Bulldog - Great entrance music and loved his pet bulldog plus the running oklahoma slam (didn't know it was called that back then)

I Hated

Doink the Clown - He picked on Crush god damnit

Shawn Michaels - Beat Bulldog for I.C belt which angered me as a kid

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you remember all this stuff? I barely remember the matches on Raw last week.

The one person that I do remember is Jimmy Hart. Couldn't stand the b*stard. If I remember right he used to carry a megaphone. God his voice went right through me. With the mullet and sunglasses he was horrible. The man wouldn't know style if it slapped him in the face. I hated him. He wasn't a wrestler but he stands out alright.

Guest Rebekah

Well ive only been watching since 2001 seriously (i played the old games now and again but only really a passing interest) so i didnt grow up with it as such. To answer the question, i was a Triple H fan from the start, i just loved that he was a bad guy. Also people like The Rock and Stone Cold.

In the beginning i hated Kurt Angle and X Pac, cant remember why.

Remember when you genuinely couldn't stand the bad guys

No.

and went mad for the good guys?

No.

Okay, that isn't strictly true because I thought Sting was the proverbial dog's testicles and Vader scared the piss out of me when he'd treat Sting like SID would treat Jobber McStareatthelights in squash matches so I guess I did dislike Vader for that. I also liked Steamboat and Savage (apart from when that cheating basta*d cheated to win the belt from the noble and virtuous, Ric Flair who had the equally noble and virtuous, Mr. Perfect cheering him on and they were both adhering to the rules from bell-to-bell while Bobby Heenan called it right down the middle on commentary) but I hated Hogan and especially hated that goofball, Woyah and still, to this day, cannot fathom anyone possibly liking him (Hogan I get at least but Warrior? Horses for courses I guess) and my favourite wrestler immediately after watching the wrasslin' was the Naitcha Boy who put his feet on the ropes and mule kicked babyfaces and had Mr. Perfect cheating on his behalf and whatnot. Also liked (and still do to this day) heel Doink as well as SID, Undertaker, Razor Ramon, Yokozuna, Arn Anderson, Cactus Jack and The Hollywood Blondes because, shit, who would you prefer to play, the good guy or the bad guy? A bad guy enjoying the crap out of being a bad guy is a hell of a sight to see.

I don't think there has ever been a point where I've ever not hated Shawn Michaels though but particularly in his 95/96 babyface run where he was one of the most odious little shits in all of wrestling history. Disliked Luger, The Bushwackers, The Beverlys, The Nasty Boys and Nailz because Nailz smelled like poop.

Guest joe boy

I Loved

HBK 1993/1995, arrogant and cocky loved him then before he turned face

Lex Luger, i know i know

Ulitimate Warrior,Just loved him i was always a little warrior rather than a Hulkamaniac

Razor Ramon, he was so cool

I Hated

Owen Hart, i just did'nt like him why did he hate his brother so much

123 Kid, what a little pr**k

Their are others that i liked but didnt love and i disliked but didnt hate

I always like The Rockers mainly cause I thought they were exciting guys yet half the time would get battered. Always liked Bret Hart too.

As for guys I didn't like? The Mountie after he electrocuted The Big Bossman with the fake tazer sound and Bossman acted like he was having a fit.

Vader, same reason as Naitch, he beat the living poop out of Sting some time in 92, was my first ever time I watched Worldwide. I didn't like Hercules either, he just had this aura of I'm crap and out of my depth.

Guest The Beltster

I hated guys like Warlord, Barbarian, Haku, Hercules....you know, the huge musclehead guys or generic nobodies who used to walk to the ring without any music?

If you didnt have music, you sucked! I'm looking at you, I.R.S!

Later, I hated Big Bully Busick with a passion, he was just so unbelievably lame, and Bastion Booger sucked. Never liked the Beverly Brothers or the Bushwhackers, never liked Greg Valenine, Don Muracco, Tatanka, Mable, Luger, Outback Jack, Uncle Elmer, 1-2-3 Kid, Barry Horrowitz....there have been so many worthless losers over the years.

Guest Flamboyant Fozz

Hated Dino Bravo!

He was like a school bully, he used just hang around with a much bigger guy (Earthquake) and they used to do two on one attacks on people like Tugboat and Hacksaw who would have destroyed him one on one. Although I did quite like his finisher.

Guest the HiTman

Thinking about it, I had/have different reasons for disliking certain wrestlers. When I watched as what might be considered a 'casual' fan, aged 8-10ish, I generally didn't like cocky guys such as Mr. Perfect, Rick Rude and Lex Lugar. I also thought Lugar was crap in ring. Another was The British Bulldog I hated his platted locks and couldn't see past them, and it really put me off the guy.

I loved the idea of Bret Hart, and being a kid, you eat up the look, especially the glasses. I also liked Savage (made me laugh)and Jake Roberts(looked like my dad and the DDT owned all finishers), though for some reason I didn't like Damien.

Later on, when I got into wrestling properly as a mark, I naturally loved The Rock, and eventually worshipped Steve Austin. You see, I didn't see anything at all between '92 and '99, so missed EVERYTHING Stone Cold. I started watching when he was out injured and HHH was taking prominence. When he came back, I wasn't sure about him as he came back and pretty much ruled the show. However, it only took a few weeks to realise that he RAN the show and that's the bottom line (sorry, a bit of cheese there). There's nothing to dislike about Austin, not one single thing in my opinion, he was the perfect pro-wrestler.

As a champ Trips felt legit, and he could do no wrong in my eyes between 2000-01. I loved the guy, good or bad. Entrance music is important to me and Trips and Austin had great rasslin' music. Same goes for the Acolytes - great music and my kind of tag team.

The guys I hated at the time were X-Pac, A-Train and Billy Gunn. I couldn't stand them, I hated them and thought they were absolutely shit as characters and wrestlers.

These days, I have learned to respect in ring abilty on another level and have watched some of Davey Boy's old stuff and I think the guy is magic, same goes for Owen Hart. And in a u-turn, I now think Bret is boring. 'Taker has become one of my favourite wrestlers too.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

I hated with a passion The Mountie because of what he did to The Big Boss Man (who I loved incidently) and just everything about Mountie set me off in fits of wanting to see him get his arse beaten by someone

As I said above I loved Big Boss Man becuase he was a big guy who had a nightstick which he twirled around and had great theme music and that was my whole reasoning behind it really :lol

Guest Jimmy Redman

My "mark" period, if you will, was from late 2003 through 2004, when I joined here. I remember liking Lita when I was a mark. A lot. I LOVED John Cena instantly, and the Hardyz even though at the time (late 2003) one was a heel jobber and one wasnt employed, and that hasnt changed.

I remember being so incensed at that skankasaurus Trish betraying Jericho at WMXX, as well as that dastardly Kane knocking up Lita and marrying her. Man I loved Lita. I remember hating HHH (no change) and rooting for Benoit through his world title push, ditto Eddie Guerrero. I remember loving, of all things, Jacqueline winning the Cruiserweight Title. I hated Heyman as Smackdown GM for screwing with Cena and Benoit. Kane scared me. Molly Holly scared me. I liked face Shelton. I liked Shawn Michaels. For the most part I was a normal mark, liking faces, disliking heels.

On the flipside, I did like some heels. I loved Matt Hardy when he was a heel. I always loved Randy Orton, and I liked Batista way before they even thought about turning him face. I dont know if I liked Brock Lesnar, per se, but I liked watching him, especially v Eddie. Something which seems strange to me now is that I never really liked Victoria that much back then, even though she was the top female face. For me it was always about Lita and Trish. Oh and I hated Christy Hemme to the point of insanity when she came in. That was how I inadvertantly started marking for Trish.

On a random note, I really enjoyed the style of the 2004 Draft, how they were all sitting in the back with their t-shirts on and we got the "live" reaction.

Guest Stiffed

It was Hardcore Holly alright.

**** sake.

He was also my only ever figure of a wrestler I had. I remember bringing it to school once.:sad5:

You should all be glad to know that the figure is totally out of my life now. It was destined for the rubbish bin; just like his career.

I never watched wrestling as a kid (what a shock eh?) except for Halloween Havoc featuring Ultimate Warrior vs Hogan II, which I saw around the year 2000. After seeing this (on VHS), I didn't watch any wrestling until late 2006, when I suddenly had an urge to watch wrestling again, and I haven't looked back. I have always known wrestling was scripted, and I have absorbed years upon years of wrestling information over an almost 2 year period. :)

I did collect wrestling action figures as a kid though (WCW ones), and I still have them. :) It's just that for some strange reason, actually watching wrestling didn't happen. :)

Edited by ShaolinHandLock

Guest Jimmy Redman
Halloween Havoc featuring Ultimate Warrior vs Hogan II, which I saw around the year 2000. After seeing this (on VHS), I didn't watch any wrestling until late 2006

:lol

Thats brilliant.

Never liked the Beverly Brothers.
I used to mark big-style for their Shaker Heights Spike finisher (think of 3D with an X-Factor instead of a Cutter) and thought it owned everything back then. I also really enjoyed the 1-2-3 Kid once he started to get some offence in (especially his absolutely fantastic WWF Title match with Bret Hart in, I believe, 1994).

When I first started watching properly (around WMVII), it was Undertaker who instantly captured my imagination; I loved everything he did at the time, even though, looking back, it wasn't that impressive.

As for others, I hated (for the right reasons) Papa Shango, The Mountie, Jimmy Hart, Shawn Michaels (post-heel turn) and Ric Flair.

Wrestlers I liked were Big Bossman, Legion of Doom, Beverley Brothers (for their finish), Jake Roberts, Tatanka and Crush.

Guest The Beltster
I hated Crush, he was so bad. Repo Man was terrible too, as was Tatanka. The Tatanka/Bigelow feud was never ending as I disliked both. There was alot of crap in the WWF from 93 - 97 specifically, but I'd take those years over 2008's crap. Edited by The Beltster

I hated Crush, he ws so bad. Repo Man was terrible too, as was Tatanka. The Tatanka/Bigelow feud was never ending a I disliked both. There was alot of crap in the WWF from 93 - 97 specifically, but I'd take those years over 2008's crap.
I still like Crush (he's my "one wrestler who sucks but you like him for some reason). I disliked his Demolition stint once I watched what I'd missed pre-Wrestlemania VII, but I loved Kona Crush and Jap-sympathiser Crush too. I even liked his jailbird/biker incarnation as well.

Guest OLD SKOOL CHAMP

I Was a rare young wrestling fan!!! when it came to those i would love i would always cheer and want to be the heel wrestlers!!!!!

I always wanted to be built like sid justice, i wanted to be as cool as heel Shawn micheals!!! those where the glory days!!! alsways love mr. perfect matches to!!!

When I first got into wrestling around 90/91, I absolutely hated Hulk Hogan. Detested. Still lingers to this day, but for different reasons. But you have to understand, I got into wrestling for the darker characters. I loved The Undertaker big time when he first debuted, and I also had an affection for guys like Ultimate Warrior (lasted until the start of his 96 return, and then it disappeared), Papa Shango, Legion Of Doom, Sting, etc. Even the Dungeon Of Doom entertained me somewhat. So as a child mark, Hogan represented everything I hated about pro wrestling because he was the brightly coloured goody-two-shoes and Undertaker was the bad-ass dead guy who just kicked ass. Even when Hogan turned dark and went heel, he was up against the even darker and cooler Sting, so he had no chance really.

I also must admit, as I have done before, that my favourite tag team of all time are The Headbangers. I marked so hard for them in 97, during my peak of wrestling fandom (and my favourite period of wrestling ever - May 97-Mar 98).

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity