Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

Not WWE Superstars...WWE Entertainers?

Guest DarkMatchJobber

Guest DarkMatchJobber
WWE informed all of their announcers this week to refer to talent as "entertainers" instead of wrestlers or even Superstars effective immediately.

According to reports, the decision is part of an organized effort towards getting WWE re-classified as an entertainment touring event as opposed to a legitimate sporting event. The hope internally within WWE is that by doing this it will take the power away from the Athletic Commissions in certain states and keep the company from having to pay taxes on their events.

Source: PWInsider.com

It's bad enough that WWE don't call their in-ring workers 'wrestlers' but calling them 'entertainers' is just going to be a public way of saying " yes we're fake " and feeding all the criticism they already get.

Also I worry about the health and wellbeing of wrestlers (I refuse to call them 'entertainers' but acknowledge that what they do is a form of entertainment but to not call them wrestlers after the training that goes into becoming one is insulting) if the athletic commissions cannot act in their best interests (which is what athletic commissions are designed to do).

Maybe I am over-reacting to this but it reminds me of the worked shoot that Joey Styles did a while back when he said it was damn insulting being told not to call wrestler's moves and to refer to wrestling as 'sports entertainment' and the wrestlers as 'superstars'.

Congratulations WWE....a marvellous job of dis-illusioning one fan at least.(or should I say dis-illusioning me further)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

Its all a tax scam anyway to save Vince some money, anyway an update on that story

I've seen various reports including on this site of WWE deciding to call their wrestlers, entertainers in the hope of avoiding state regulation and taxing.

At least one report noted that States like Georgia who are about to vote greater wrestling regulations likely on November 19, 2007, as we've reported earlier are the reason for this change. Currently, however WWE is exempt from Georgia Wrestling Regulation under the law so Georgia is not a great example, and in Georgia the commission that Regulates is the Georgia Entertainment & Athletic Commission, so being defined as Entertainment in Georgia would not help much.

Whether it will help in other states will depend on how current law is written. Much od the current law lumps wrestling in with Boxing and now MMA regulation, real sports. Many of the "commissions" are still "boxing commissions".

Likely WWE hopes that this change will encourage States to pass new law that would exempt wrestling, but that will be an uphill fight as in doing so many states will give up taxes on gates (usually 5%), and it is unlikely states will do this without a fight.

WWE will argue that by bringing PPVs, RAW, ECW & Smackdown tapings into States it ends up spending millions each year in numerous states, making WWE an attactive business to have visit your state. Those states with less or no regulation and no gate taxes logically will benefit more that regulated states as WWE will be more inclined to frequently visit "friendlier" states, and those states will benefit more financially as a result.

We will see if new laws are proposed to change current State laws as a result of this change. Only time will tell.

Credit: Wrestlezone.com

Guest Jayfunk
thye haven't been wrestlers for years. they are proformers as they barely work a match, Agents create the match half the time if you put two of them in the ring for 30mins on there own they would be lost

The question should be. Will the WWE change it's own name if they don't technically do wrestling anymore?

As for the wrestlers themselves, it doesn't matter. Fans will call them either Superstars or wrestlers.

The only new people that will pick up on it is fans who start watching after they change the name.

Edited by Fiona

Guest The Cork
World Entertainment has come to terms for the release of Wrestling as of October 23rd 2008. WE wishes Wrestling the best of luck in its future endeavours.

thye haven't been wrestlers for years. they are proformers as they barely work a match, Agents create the match half the time if you put two of them in the ring for 30mins on there own they would be lost
That is quite insulting to the "performers" who do, in fact, work hard at their craft.

Guest Jayfunk
That is quite insulting to the "performers" who do, in fact, work hard at their craft.

well to all two of them on there 50+ roster i am sorry

Guest Jimmy Redman
well to all two of them on there 50+ roster i am sorry

Yeah, right.

There's disliking WWE product, and then there's being stupid.

Guest Jimmy Redman
it was a joke

My mistake then, it didnt sound like it judging by you saying something similar (seriously) in the other thread.

Guest Jayfunk
My mistake then, it didnt sound like it judging by you saying something similar (seriously) in the other thread.

they can work but they don't either because of lack of ability, laziness or the office planning everything out either way its the same result. lackluster matches

Guest Jimmy Redman
they can work but they don't either because of lack of ability, laziness or the office planning everything out either way its the same result. lackluster matches

I disagree about 'lackluster'. If you ignore October, Smackdown has a few good TV matches every week, ECW usually has at least a couple really good matches in a month, and PPVs have been solid as a rock this year. Raw is the sh*ts for wrestling, but thats nothing new.

I dont want to get into a huge debate comparing the two, but from my POV, I dont see how (generally) WWE matches are any worse than (generally) TNA matches. I think week-by-week you'll find better matches on WWE than TNA, because Impact matches are, for the most part, poor.

Guest Jayfunk
I disagree about 'lackluster'. If you ignore October, Smackdown has a few good TV matches every week, ECW usually has at least a couple really good matches in a month, and PPVs have been solid as a rock this year. Raw is the sh*ts for wrestling, but thats nothing new.

I dont want to get into a huge debate comparing the two, but from my POV, I dont see how (generally) WWE matches are any worse than (generally) TNA matches. I think week-by-week you'll find better matches on WWE than TNA, because Impact matches are, for the most part, poor.

i'll agree to disagree on this subject i just find the WWE style of matches dull, the pace is too slow for my tastes. I like to see thinks i haven't seen before

Guest DarkMatchJobber

I think that there are plenty of talented workers on the WWE roster who are given the opportunity to show what they can do on worldwide television on a weekly basis regardless of whether they get to show their full potential.

CM Punk for example is nowhere near as good as he was outside of WWE but he is still one of the most impressive talents on the whole roster.

John Morrison and The Miz always have a good match when they team together and nearly always get to use their biggest moves.

I could use lots of examples of talent who get a decent shot at showing what they can do but in wrestling it's inevitable that some talent will either not get the chance or won't get to show their full potential.

Bottom line though is these men and women are wrestlers and no amount of tax-evading,mainstream media sucking-up to and shallow decree is going to change that.

World Entertainment has come to terms for the release of Wrestling as of October 23rd 2008. WE wishes Wrestling the best of luck in its future endeavours.

Tsk, wrestling sucked anyway, bet it goes to TNA now, just like all the other has-been term, WE rejects.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
I would have said Vince would change the name to WSE (World Sports Entertainment) but now with the SE words banned too I guess its going to have to be WEE (World Entertainment Entertainment)

I've been thinking about this, and if the WWE becomes an "entertainment" company, what would the championships be for? If they aren't focusing on wrestling anymore, then the championships would have to be for "entertainment", but that doesn't work now does it?

It's a stupid idea altogether anyway, I have always thought that WWE calling their wrestlers 'Superstars' was bad enough in the first place, if they insist on calling them "WWE Entertainers" I don't think I could handle it.

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity