Fan Clubs (beta)

Help and Advice Needed

Guest Fiona

Okay Christmas is coming and as usual my kid is debating over what he wants. I have told him he can either have an Xbox 360 or a PS/3. My question to the members of TWO is the following.

What is a better system the Xbox 360 or the PS/3?

I'm needing input on the following: the quality of games available, problems with the units, cost of peripherals, quality of online play and anything else that may swing the decision one way or the other.

Thanks in advance.

Guest Al Stevens
Okay Christmas is coming and as usual my kid is debating over what he wants. I have told him he can either have an Xbox 360 or a PS/3. My question to the members of TWO is the following.

What is a better system the Xbox 360 or the PS/3?

I'm needing input on the following: the quality of games available, problems with the units, cost of peripherals, quality of online play and anything else that may swing the decision one way or the other.

Thanks in advance.

Depends on the situation, I think both are equally as good. The PS3 is region free with the games and also they have an online service which is free. The system is pretty bullet proof as well, I had mine for just over a year and I have had no known problems with it, and if your son wants to all he will need to do is buy a laptop harddrive and he can upgrade his own harddrive (I have seen people on Game spot putting in something stupid like 500 GB harddrives and all that. Also the PS3 has WiFi so basically if you have a wireless connection at home all you need to do is slap the information from your router and away you go. Also the PS3 will come with a charging kit as well which is handy to use as well.

For the 360 the good thing for that is the vast amount of games which you can get. Baring Mircosoft commisioned games (Say Halo, Gears of War, Forza ect) then most of the games are 3rd party so basically if say PS3 has lets say fallout 3 then it would also be out for the 360. The Xbox does need a few extra things to go online though. For example I have a wireless connector on mine to make it wifi and also there is a yearly subscription for the gold version of Xbox live. However it's possible to get it online for around $100.

Also other essenace Xbox gear to get is a plug and play. If you dont have one of those then you will be flying through batterys like no ones busness.

Also you may have heard about the infamous Red Ring of Doom/Death if you was to get that, call mircosoft and make sure that you have a serial number and they will cover it for about 3 years give or take. However they changed one of the chips which has slightly removed the risk of getting it, however it will eventally do it.

Right thats my speach about what i like and dislike about each machine however I will give you a rough idea of what sort of prices you would be looking for (also i am looking on game stops site for this):

Xbox 360:

Machine (Pro with a 60 gig harddrive): $ 299.99

Wireless connector: $69.99*

Xbox live for a year: $49.99*

Plug and Play: $19.99

The * means thats if he wants to go online, however it took me nearly a year to decide to go online

Then games are around $60 for the classic series is about half so $30

For the PS3:

Machine (with a 80 gig harddrive) $399.99

Other than that i cannot think of anything else you would need for a PS3

Al has pretty much covered it all. When I'm asked this I always ask the person if they want it for games or entertainment. If it's games you want, I'd say go ahead and get the Xbox 360, but if it's an all-around entertainment system you want, get the PS3.

I have both, but I neglect my PS3 far too much, I just prefer my 360. That is purely down to personal preffrence though.

As far as online goes, I've found Xbox Live to be more fun, it costs to play online but it's a whole lot more enjoyable than playing the PS3 online, in my opinion (I may be a little biased, as I've been on Live since the original Xbox). I've played my PS3 online quite alot, and I've found it slightly boring, maybe it's because whenever I play no one communicates. The advantage to this is that you don't have annoying kids and it's free.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but both are good pieces of technology. It all depends what your son really wants to do with it. If he wants Blu-Ray among the other features such as internet, music player, DVD player, get PS3. If he wants just a games console that can play DVDs and music, get the 360.

Cheers guys thanks for the help. We want it for both games and movies. I want the PS/3 but the little one is the problem. I look at all your advice and share it with the one who can't decide.:lol

Guest Al Stevens
Also i have read somewhere (I cant remember where though) but I believe that the 360 is going to be getting a Blu Ray player add on like the HD DVD drive but I dont know if Microsoft is going ahead with making it. Edited by Al Stevens

Guest Jayfunk
PS3 for the pad alone Playstation pretty much prefected the control pad with the PS1 Xbox pads have always sucked. As with Blue ray winning the HD war its a decent blue ray player on the cheap. oh the games are awesome too.

PS3 for the pad alone Playstation pretty much prefected the control pad with the PS1 Xbox pads have always sucked. As with Blue ray winning the HD war its a decent blue ray player on the cheap. oh the games are awesome too.

I disagree about the pads, the 360 pads feel alot meatier and better to hold. The PS3 Sixaxis controllers feel like you're holding nothing at all, and that's slightly off-putting to me. Also, most of the games on PS3 you can pretty much get on 360 anyway, there's barely any exclusives on there, and with Tekken 6 coming to the 360 too, the amount of exclusives on the PS3 seem to be getting lower and lower.

Though, Rachet and Clank: Tools of Destruction is worth the price of the PS3 alone. :lol

Guest Al Stevens
I disagree about the pads, the 360 pads feel alot meatier and better to hold. The PS3 Sixaxis controllers feel like you're holding nothing at all, and that's slightly off-putting to me.

I do agree with this, i actually like the 360's joypad a whole lot more, I dont know why but it feels more snug in your hands, where with the Duel shock/Six axis while it's the same joy pad since the first Duel shock on PS1 it like putting on a old pair of shoes comfy as hell, but at times can be seen at bit like.

I do agree with this, i actually like the 360's joypad a whole lot more, I dont know why but it feels more snug in your hands, where with the Duel shock/Six axis while it's the same joy pad since the first Duel shock on PS1 it like putting on a old pair of shoes comfy as hell, but at times can be seen at bit like.

The only part that ruins the 360 controller is the stupid d-pad, it's probably the worst feature on there.

Guest Al Stevens
The only part that ruins the 360 controller is the stupid d-pad, it's probably the worst feature on there.

Oh yeah, it reminds me of a one of the cheap Game cube controllers D pad..... That fell off as well :lol

Guest Jayfunk
to me the xbox pad was too meaty, too large and doesn't have the same feel as the PS pad which does feel like nothing but that is the point why should you have to wrestle with the pad. But i guess i basically have always owned playstation consoles and when i have played x box systems the pad just feels wrong its abit like playing FIFA as a PES fan the shoot and cross buttons are opposite so it just feels wrong.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

I would get the PS3 everytime, but thats because I have always loved the Sony consoles ever since I got the PS1 years back

Like said with the PS3 being region free its much easier to get games for it same with Blu Ray disks should you start buying those rarther then DVD's (I don't yet) besides PS3 has God of War 3 as an exclusive game on the way and that makes it much more desirable then the Xbox 360 :lol

Guest Jaycey Baby
I can see the PS3 having a bigger library of kiddie-oriented games before long. The 360's a great little games machine but does tend to appeal to the 'hardcore' crowd a little more.

Guest Chriscare

After the success of the Wii, and 360's latest advert campaign, it looks like both consoles will heavily cater to families a lot more as well as the normal hardcore gamers.

Having owned both consoles, I'd say the PS3 is the more superior of the two at present, the fact that it has s a blue ray player, the link up with PSP and its SKY+ like gadget PlayTV make it such a versatile machine. But the 360 is a much cheaper console.

Also Playstation doesn't charge for its online service.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
I didn't know that it hooked up to the PSP. That may be the one we're going to go with then. Thanks all for your input.
Yeah its really handy for games that are on both such as the Smackdown vs Raw games, you can download things from the PS3 version onto the PSP one and vice versa

PS3 Pros:

Integrated Blu-Ray Player

Plays CDs. DVD, DVDR, Blu-Ray and Memory Sticks/Cards dependant on model

Free Online Play

PSP Compatability

PlayTV Gadget to watch, record Digital TV

PS2/PS1 Backwards Compatible dependant on model/software updates, if you take this into consideration, the PS3 then has the biggest back catalogue of games for any system

1080p HD Ready

Dual Shock 3/SIXAXIS Motion Sensor Pads

Buzz and Singstar original games and peripherals

Full Media Centre

BlueTooth compatible

No Known Hardware issues

Built in Wi-Fi

PS3 Cons:

Higher retail price, but no additional costs for online play

Newer models lack card readers and 2 USB slots

Newer models lack PS2 compatability until Firmware allows it

360 Pros:

Plays CD, DVD, DVDR

Backwards Compatable with XBOX titles

HD Ready

Media Centre

WiFi (Not integrated though)

Original Titles such as Gears of War and Halo.

Cheaper Retail Price

360 Cons:

Online Play Is Extra Cost

WiFi Adapter is extra cost

Arcade Model comes with no Hard Drive

No Blu Ray-Player Will Be At Extra Cost

Red Rings Of Death Issue

Thanks to all for the input. We have decided to go with a PS/3 for the media capabilities of the blue ray player. We both like Resistance Fall of Man and Metal Gear Solid so that's what he wants right now.

The Xbox can wait until he graduates high school in June. A bit of incentive I think to get his grades up.:)

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
Thanks to all for the input. We have decided to go with a PS/3 for the media capabilities of the blue ray player. We both like Resistance Fall of Man and Metal Gear Solid so that's what he wants right now.

The Xbox can wait until he graduates high school in June. A bit of incentive I think to get his grades up.:)

You made the right choice Fiona :D

Guest Al Stevens

Ahhh a good choice and also a smart way of getting him to work harder on his grades.

Also a couple of good games I would hunt down for any PS3 collection:

Heavenly Sword (it's a bit short but a good game)

Uncharted (Brilliant game also looks the bee's knees in SD and phenomenal in HD)

Rachette and Clank: Tools of Destruction (might look like a kiddies game however one of the best platform games to play period)

GT5: Prologue (Gives you an example of what the GT game is going to be like, also features online play as well)

Then the rest of the 3rd party games are up to the both of you, however if he has never played Bioshock that should be up there on his list, as well as Dead Space, Fall out 3, Silent Hill:Homecoming, the orange box (Five games for the price of one), Call of Duty 4 or World at War (which ever one takes his fancy) and Pure!