Fan Clubs (beta)

Could you help me out please (for a future Newsletter article)

Guest Al Stevens

Guest Al Stevens

Hi everyone

Right for once I want your input for a feature for one of the future news letter sections.

I am asking for the following:

Your Top five great games of 2008:

You Top five turkeys of 2008:

Thank you for in advance

Al :)

Top Five

Super Smash Brothers Brawl (think it came out this year)

Mario Party 8

Gears of War 2

Metal Gear Solid 4

SD vs Raw 09

I'll ask Joel about the bottom 5 has he has played more games than I have.

Guest Evil Monkey

I dont think I have played enough games from this year to judge!

I do think however that Gears of War 2 should be up in the top 5, and possible Tomb Raider Underworld. The more I think, the more I am aware that there has been a severe lack of top titles released this year.

Hmmm, turkeys eh?

Dissappointments I can only offer, since I don't go for turkeys I'm a careful gamer.

Mario Kart Wii - Gave me about an hour of fun before realising it wasn't even as good as the DS version.

Beautiful Katamari 360 - didn't make any improvements for next gen, in fact it just made itself bad.

Wii Music - Stupidest looking pile of crap I've ever seen.

Guitar Hero - Aerosmith - Would have been fine if it cost €30, but it cost €70. Too easy,nothing to go back for.

Guest big pau hoolinator

Best

1. Resitance 2

2. Fallout 3

3. Gears of War 2

4. Dead Space

5. Little Big Planet

Turkeys

1. TNA

2. Mirrors Edge

3. NFS: Under Cover

4. Legendary

5. GTA IV

I haven't purchased enough games to give the full ten, but of the ones I have bought this year...

Good

GTA IV

Metal Gear Solid IV

Smackdown v Raw 2009

Bad

TNA

There are a fair few games that I would like to buy, but I'll play SvR09 until I exhaust it and then purchase them as pre-owned in a few months time.

Guest Chriscare

Your Top five great games of 2008:

1. GTA 4 - Brilliant game, one of the best ever, so much to do, last for months.

2. Mirror's Edge - Fantastic experience, annoyingly hard at times, but an original idea and one of the greatest gaming experiences ever.

3. Star Wars: Force Unleashed - Definatley one of the better Star Wars games, doesn't have the depth that KOTR had, but a brilliantly fun game.

4. PES 2008 - Wii - Easily one of the greatest football games ever made. The fact that it's on the Wii and that it has quite a high learning curve means that most people will never even give it a chance, but this game is truly a brilliant pioneer for football games, maybe finally, after two decades of 1 dimensional football games we can finally change the genre to actual football.

5. Super Smach Brothers Brawl - Brilliant fun, not different enough from the last one to warrant a top price, and making big additions like Sonic and Solid Snake unavailable from the offset is stupid as most people will never get to even see them, but still a brilliant game if you don't own the excellent gamecube version.

You Top five turkeys of 2008:

1. Spore - Not bad, but all those years it took to make, the amount of setbacks, not worth the wait.

2. TNA Impact - Oh dear god.

3. Ironman - Awesome film, terrible game

4. Spiderman Web of Shadows - Had so much potential, but was awful and forgetable

5. Mario Kart Wii - So dissapointed by this game. It doesn't deserve its high reviews, it's simply a huge step backwards for the Mario kart series, Double Dash is leaps and bounds better.

Top 5 in no particular order

Pic pic (DS) best puzzle game of all time.

Professor Layton (DS) I had this last year but officially released this year here.

Fable 2 (XBOX360) I am aware of its shortcomings but its full of personality. rare nowadays.

Wii Fit ( Wii) Any game that helped me loose 1.5 stones gets my vote (true)

Geometry Wars 2 ( XBOX arcade) just one more go....

Close runners

Zack and Wiki ( Wii) fun fun fun.

WoW :Wrath of the Lich king (PC) to early to say.

AudioSurf (PC) your music collection comes alive.

5 disappointments I cant find five but here are a couple

GTA4 , its not that it is bad its just isn't much fun.

Infinite Undiscovery , so disappointed with this buggy game.

Guest Smudger

1. GTA IV - Good storyline

2. FIFA 09 - Good graphics. Enough modes to keep it going, the be a pro seasons is a good addition.

3. Smackdown vs Raw 2009 - Much improved from last year (which admitedly wasn't hard). Decent storylines.

Now i wouldn't go as far as to call this game a turkey but i was slightly disappointed with Pro Evolution Soccer 2009. The passing system was just horrible.

BEST:

1. Metal Gear Solid IV - Best Game of 2008 by a country mile

2. FIFA 09 - Best football game I've enjoyed in a long long time..and I usually hate FIFA!

3. LittleBigPlanet - Simply funX1000

4. Star Wars The Force Unleashed - Love the Ol' Star Wars

5. Dead Space - Jumpy..

Worst:

1. GTA 4 - Bored within days..really drags on and Niko is one of the worst characters I've ever seen or heard

2. TNA Impact - empty!

..Meh I can't think of any more disappointments..I'm not as big of nerd as I used to be.

To be fair though MGS4 had mega replay-value and used up at least a month.

Guest Chriscare

I bewilders me how anyone can put arguably one of the greatest games EVER made, let alone this year, GTA 4 into their "Turkeys" list.

Fair enough, if previous GTA games aren't your thing then obviously GTA 4 is not your thing, but if you didn't like previous ones your hardly gonna put this in your turkeys list, it's like me putting in "NBA 2009" because I don't like any basketball games, or Metal Gear Solid 4 (which i hated) because I don't like Metal Gear Soldi games. But as a fan of GTA games, to say GTA 4 was one of the worst games you've played this year is baffling.

You hate MGS games because you're rubbish at them at the normal difficulty! Admit it! :P You wanna go all guns blazin and MGS just ain't like that brosev!

..Well that's the case for most who say they hate them!

Anyway GTA4 got off on hype alone. The game is full of stuff to do but hardly any incentive to do it. It's main story is generally very bland and Niko (as I've already said the worst main character I've ever seen.) It's not the worst game of all time (nor is it anywhere near the best) but considering the hype (including from the release) it generally was a poor effort. In the end the story is big part of game and if it sucks..it sucks; end of story.

Edited by JC

Guest Chriscare
You hate MGS games because you're rubbish at them at the normal difficulty! Admit it! :P You wanna go all guns blazin and MGS just ain't like that brosev!

I generally don't play games *** i wanna get engrosed in a story, there's films for that. And MSG4 is just full of long cut scenes with gameplay that got boring 10 years ago.

Anyway GTA4 got off on hype alone. The game is full of stuff to do but hardly any incentive to do it. It's main story is generally very bland and Niko (as I've already said the worst main character I've ever seen.) It's not the worst game of all time (nor is it anywhere near the best) but considering the hype (including from the release) it generally was a poor effort. In the end the story is big part of game and if it sucks..it sucks; end of story.

I agree, the story is not very original or exciting, and Niko is a terrible main character. But GTA4 doesn't need a good story, the story may as well be an after thought. They've made a massively detailed city based on new york, which spans over 3 islands, it looks amazing, and you can pretty much just go around and make your own fun.