Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

If This Is True I LOVE Joey Styles

Paul

This is posted over on the UKFF:

One of the most newsworthy events that transpired on World Wrestling Entertainment's tour of Iraq last week took place nowhere near any of the cameras that were filming the tour. I was stunned at hearing the following story over the weekend and initially chalked it up to being just an urban legend, but as it turns out, it was completely accurate.

Retired WWE announcer (and current WWE.com personality) Joey Styles punched out former WWE champion JBL in Iraq during an altercation between the two, busting JBL open under the eye.

No, that is not a typo.

As the story was initially explained to me (and all versions I've heard since have matched the original report I was conveyed), JBL made Styles something of a target because it was Styles' first tour of Iraq for the company and was hazing the former ECW announcer.

I was told JBL was trying to bully Styles with a lot of condescending comments and actions, including allegedly spilling a drink on Styles on purpose. JBL was more or less pulling a lot of the shenanigans that a lot of of the performers in the company can't stand but deal with since he has the political stroke of being a tenured veteran.

Several days into the tour, JBL (who by all accounts, had been drinking) did something that caused Styles to physically retaliate in defense. A number of wrestlers stepped between them and held the two apart. When JBL broke free, he went towards Styles, who "nailed him perfectly with a pretty good shot" according to one witness, laying JBL out, busting him open and blackening his eye.

There were no further incidents between the two on the tour after that.

There were a number of performers who pointed out to me that the story was something of karma coming back to bite JBL in the rear because his antics had caused Smackdown talent Palmer Cannon to quit the company during a European tour (and Cannon wasn't the only victim of JBL's hazing over the years) as well as the famous 2005 ECW One Night Stand beating of the Blue Meanie during the PPV closing brawl inside the ring.

At last night's Raw in Philadelphia, the story was the talk of the day among wrestlers, who were amazed by the incident. I was also told JBL was acting completely subdued at the taping, something absolutely out of character for him, as he knew the story was making the rounds. Styles, meanwhile, was trying to downplay the incident to those who brought it up to him at Raw.

It was considered doubly embarrassing for JBL among the wrestlers since he was so involved with setting up the Iraq tours.

In a strange way, some theorized the incident would get Styles over with Vince McMahon because it showed his "toughness" and could pave the way for his return to TV. I have no idea whether Styles' cameo last night was part of any direct result of the "Iraq Punchout", as it was termed to me.

credit mike johnson - pwinsider

PLEASE someone find and confirm this story is on PWI. :lol

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Al Stevens
This is posted over on the UKFF:

PLEASE someone find and confirm this story is on PWI. :lol

If that story is actually true, Joey should be returned to Raw and push Cole back to WWE.Com's computer geek part

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
Do you think Joey shouted "Oh My God!" after he had made connection (assuming the story is true?) or shouted "Somebody call 911!" :lol

Guest Al Stevens
Do you think Joey shouted "Oh My God!" after he had made connection (assuming the story is true?) or shouted "Somebody call 911!" :lol

He probably shouted that after he put one on JBL (if the story is true)

Every site is reporting it, and all variations of the story are very similar. Then you add JBL's short appearance with his hat pulled low enough that the shadow hides his eye's completely I'm beleiving it.

Joey should of won the OMG award for 2008!

Guest hendrixsummer69
if this story is true give him the championship hell give him the company please make his next target HHH and shawn michaels and I'll give him Mcmahons soul

Guest the HiTman
If it's true (and until Meltz says it is, it isn't) then I imagine The Blue Meanie, Palmer Cannon and Brian Lawler will probably be ecstatic.

Hehe, true that.

While what happens backstage doesn't interest me; I do hope this leads to a legit match where JBL puts down some old skool shoot moves on poor old Styles.

Regarding the JBL/Joey Styles story that is up at PWInsider.com, there isn't much to add to it that wasn't reported there. Basically, during the Iraq trip JBL was in full hazing mode with Joey Styles and Styles could finally take no more. There was a scuffle, a bunch of people jumped in to break it up, JBL, who had been drinking, broke free, and as he was charging Styles (yes, Joey Styles) punched him right in the face and knocked him down. JBL ended up with a cut and blackened eye which was somewhat visible under heavy make-up yesterday. About the only thing we can add is that apparently there were a number of different things that JBL did to him during the course of the tour, all of which would have set a normal person off, some of them verbal and some of them more physical. JBL spent most of Monday night by himself in the locker room, being very quiet and spending most of the time dinking around on his Blackberry. There will be more on this in tomorrow's edition of the Observer, likely including a look at other JBL-related incidents including the infamous beating of Blue Meanie at One Night Stand and incidents that led to Palmer Cannon quitting. JBL also dumped a bucket of ice on Lilian after she fell asleep on the plane, so he was in quite the mood. Or he just watched Coyote Ugly.

Credit Da Meltz

Seeing as I accidentally made another thread, I'd thought I'd at least ad Meltzer's 2 cents. How funny is this?

Well I imagine the roster is having quite the giggle at this. Tough guy JBL gets knocked on his backside by a commentator. I think any rep as a super tough guy that he had probably went down a massive notch. Glad he finally got his comupance though, was bound to happen eventually. Either he was going to get embarassed in a situation like this or he'd have done a Bob Holly, messed with the wrong person and got told the hard way.

Either way it's hilarious.

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity