Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

Best Announcer?

Guest cuellar

Guest cuellar

ok my last thread didnt go to well im sorry

but i thought this one might work better. who is the best announcer right now? jr is really good and is a legend, and cole is pretty cool. lawler's ok.

who do you guys think is best annonucer

(also thepowerisback can this be a poll)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anime Otaku
IMO when it comes to colour guys it comes down to Joey Styles and Bobby 'The Brain' Hennan. For P by P I really don't know I liked Michael Cole with Taz on colour, Gorrilla Monsoon was great too. I don't rate The King and JR, their acts have got stale and JRs mistakes were annoying as hell.

JR's my favourite ever. His mistakes are funny, even if they're not meant to be, and he's just so damn likeable.

Other than that, Paul Heyman was great as a colour commentator. And of course Bobby Heenan & 1993-2001 Jerry Lawler, but for my personal favouritism has to go with JR.

Guest Cross The Line

At least he's actually enthusiastic. The WWE commentators and Tenay to a certain extent sound completely bored most of the time. In mitigation, the WWE announcers are watching a far less entertaining product than West is.

Drake, I prefer that to:

"Rey Mysterio's swashbuckling style has endeared him to all the WWE universe!"

or

"Look at those puppies! If only those girls were a bit younger ..."

or

"Bah gawd business is about to pick up in this slugfest! Stomping him like a government mule ladies and gentlemen! I'm going to recite all my worn-out catchphrases which got old ten years ago! STONE COLD STONE COLD STONE COLD"

or

"Jack Swagger and Braden Walker remind me of the Smith Brothers back in the 1930s!"

Jim Ross is the best announcer in wrestling, bar none. Has been since 1997 and still is to this day. The guy can make any match seem like the most important and emotional battle you'll ever see.

In contrast, Michael Cole only works with a good colour guy, Lawler is long past his peak, JBL is no longer an announcer or he'd be in the running, Striker hasn't been at it long enough, Grisham is pretty bad, Tazz is good but nothing more, Tenay is too shouty and won't STFU when he needs to, and West has gone from an overexcited mark announcer to just a crappy announcer who still doesn't know wrestling particularly well.

So JR, hands down.

IMO when it comes to colour guys it comes down to Joey Styles and Bobby 'The Brain' Hennan.
Joey Styles is not, nor has he ever been, a colour commentator. He has always been the play-by-play announcer.
Jim Ross is the best announcer in wrestling, bar none. Has been since 1997 and still is to this day. The guy can make any match seem like the most important and emotional battle you'll ever see.

In contrast, Michael Cole only works with a good colour guy, Lawler is long past his peak, JBL is no longer an announcer or he'd be in the running, Striker hasn't been at it long enough, Grisham is pretty bad, Tazz is good but nothing more, Tenay is too shouty and won't STFU when he needs to, and West has gone from an overexcited mark announcer to just a crappy announcer who still doesn't know wrestling particularly well.

So JR, hands down.

This is pretty much how I see it as well. JBL has been the best commentator since the glory days of JR & Lawler back in the late 90s.

JR and Heyman were the dog's proverbials when they were antagonistical towards each other...

I did have a HUGE soft spot for Joey Styles and Joel Gertner / Don Callis tho...

Edited by Inno

Heenan was incredible ! Absolutely fantastic. I've only seen bits of him and Monsoon together that I specifically know but they had a wonderful chemistry, really really good fun.

Ultra Mantis Black is also brilliant - a great call from dsrchris.

I loved JBL a lot. He should just hang up his boots forever and get that headset back.

Heenan was incredible !
One of my favourite pieces of Bobby Heenan commentary was when he and Schiavone were commenting on a Jim Duggan match and Tony made mention of Duggan's intellect.

Heenan, unable to control himself, simply laughed througout the entire match.

One of my favourite pieces of Bobby Heenan commentary was when he and Schiavone were commenting on a Jim Duggan match and Tony made mention of Duggan's intellect.

Heenan, unable to control himself, simply laughed througout the entire match.

I'm sure you will have seen it but there's a match (I saw it through a clip on Youtube) of... Survivor Series 1993 when it was the entire Hart clan against the Knights and someone else... Shawn Michaels might of been in there.

It was the one that ended with Owen getting p*ssed off at Bret.

The commentary throughout that is FANTASTIC from Heenan, just some absolutely hilarious comments that had me in stitches.

I tried to find the youtube clip before I posted originally but couldn't for the life of me.

Edited by JobberJoe

UltraMantis Black and "Sweet 'n' Sour" Larry Sweeney are the best duo I've EVER heard. They're both so different but yet work so well together.

UltraMantis Black makes pretty much anything entertaining though, same with Larry Sweeney. I just can't choose one of them, so I've had to pick both.

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity