Fan Clubs

Random News Update Thread 2009

Guest Fiona

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DarkMatchJobber
It appears Barry Windham was released by WWE as a producer recently reports PWInsider. While details aren't known at this time about his departure, it appears it may have been another cost cutting move done by WWE. Windham was not around at events in the last few weeks and the word at TV this week was that he had left the company.

MVP has been told that the end result of his storyline losing streak is a babyface turn reports The Wrestling Observer Newsletter. He has reportedly gotten to the point where he is accepting of the angle with the rationale being he can protect his body because the gimmick he is working means he shouldn't be having good matches, meaning less physical risks.

from wrestleview.com

I find it hard to accept that any wrestler would be happy with being turned into a glorified jobber as a result of upsetting a wellness tester.

Guest DarkMatchJobber
"We're happy to see professional wrestling in the mainstream spotlight through the movie 'The Wrestler.' Mickey Rourke's performance is nothing short of sensational; Mickey Rourke is the movie. His portrayal of an over-the-hill wrestler struggling to find his own meaning in life has already been talked about as Oscar-worthy, and rightfully so."

source wrestleview.com

This is one of those memorable occasions when TNA put WWE to shame by actually being objective about the film instead of trying to bury it because it isn't a WWE films project. (incidentally if a WWE wrestler had a role in the film you bet your bottom dollar the film would get a better review from the company)

The "Industry Snapshot" Paulie award: TNA is an asterisk

I enjoyed reading The Sun Awards this year, because there was a category which, by its very existence, demonstrates the enormous opportunity that TNA Wrestling continues to squander. It was a simple list of nominees called "Best Non-WWE Wrestler."

I just can't pass this one up. Isn't it funny how there's a need for a category that actually specifies an award to given to someone outside of WWE? What does that tell TNA? It should tell them the simple fact the direction they're going in is not paying off, because TNA is not only seen as a distant second tier promotion, but the lack of branding continues to hamper the chances that present themselves to the independently-funded organisation.

A tremendous talent roster that anyone would salivate to develop, a network that actually wants to help, and a vast audience of former WWE fans who are simply looking for an alternative.

And the best TNA can continuously come up with is..."WWE Lite."

It's a shame when a promotion spends big money for Kurt Angle and Sting and Mick Foley and Booker T and stops itself from recouping that investment.

The most marketable idea for Petey Williams is to be Little Poppa Pump? How many knockoffs can one promotion do (Jay Lethal as Randy Savage, SoCalVal as Elizabeth, Shark Boy as Stone Cold)?

Team 3D lose every night, which they understand how to do and stay on top, and yet no wrestling fan walks around saying "Wow, The Motor City Machine Guns muist be the best tag team in the world."

Here's a really easy question for you: Why not? Why don't wrestling fans walk around saying it? Because TNA doesn't take the time to capitalise on their own storytelling to persuade the audience that's the case!

TNA is so hell bent on trying to present a WWE-style product that it loses its own audience, which just aches to be given a reason to brag "we're better," or "we're cooler," or simply "we're different."

Until Dixie Carter and TNA management wake up and play to the potential audience that's out there, their big claim to fame will be "we're number two."

Sounds good, in a crowded field.

But lousy in a two-promotion-runoff.

source The Sun newspaper

Edited by DarkMatchJobber

(incidentally if a WWE wrestler had a role in the film you bet your bottom dollar the film would get a better review from the company)

doesn't R-Truth have a small cameo? Ok, so maybe he wasn't a WWE wrestler when he filmed it, but he is now, so that kinda blows away this little theory.

Guest DarkMatchJobber
doesn't R-Truth have a small cameo? Ok, so maybe he wasn't a WWE wrestler when he filmed it, but he is now, so that kinda blows away this little theory.

But that was before he signed with WWE,they wouldn't be able to say it was a result of having been spotted on WWE television. :lol

Guest Jayfunk
Until Dixie Carter and TNA management wake up and play to the potential audience that's out there, their big claim to fame will be "we're number two."

Funny from a guy that didn't change his product and play to his potential audience when ECW were starting to get big and got national TV. but hell i guess his claim to fame is "always number three"

Guest Jayfunk
Nah, ECW was alternative. TNA is WWE Lite, watered-down and rinsed for good measure.

Some people prefer diet coke!

ECW was alternative that was also why it couldn't have ever been massive not a big enough market for it (by defination alternative is not main stream) if he wanted ECW to be big he need to change his product.

But that was before he signed with WWE,they wouldn't be able to say it was a result of having been spotted on WWE television. :lol

he's still a current WWE wrestler though, and he's in a film that Vince McMahon supposedly doesn't like because it portrays a different version of wrestling than he wants everyone to see.

Irrelevant of whether he was part of WWE when it was filmed, he is now, so your original point is void.

Some people prefer diet coke!

ECW was alternative that was also why it couldn't have ever been massive not a big enough market for it (by defination alternative is not main stream) if he wanted ECW to be big he need to change his product.

Not a big enough market for it?

Care to tell me where else you could find cruiserweights, controversial angles, swearing, nudity, hardcore wrestling and controversial gimmicks in the mid to late 90's?

Oh yeah WWE and WCW.

He didn't need to change his product. He was in a no win situation. He was basically a feeder promotion, because he was dwarfed by the big 2 in terms of budgets. Any guys who became stars in ECW were snapped by either WCW or WWF as they could offer a bigger stage and much more money. Thus how could he possibly win against that? Especially when the other 2 took half of his selling points and showcased them to their audience?

he's still a current WWE wrestler though, and he's in a film that Vince McMahon supposedly doesn't like because it portrays a different version of wrestling than he wants everyone to see.

Irrelevant of whether he was part of WWE when it was filmed, he is now, so your original point is void.

No it isn't. He's saying [i think] that if they had put a WWE star in the movie while he was in the WWE, WWE would have had to approve, and so would have helped to promote the movie and their employee in it.

No it isn't. He's saying [i think] that if they had put a WWE star in the movie while he was in the WWE, WWE would have had to approve, and so would have helped to promote the movie and their employee in it.

you mean like Behind enemy lines? I agree, if it had been a WWE studios film. But it isn't and MVP said:

(incidentally if a WWE wrestler had a role in the film you bet your bottom dollar the film would get a better review from the company)

nothing about better promotion or even mentioning R-Truth, he says if a WWE wrestler was in it then Vince would have liked it. Well a WWE wrestler is in it, and Vince doesn't like it.

Guest Coco The Monkey

Significant or not, I've heard grumblings that management isn't too high on R-Truth as he doesn't know "the basics." So says the company that gave us the Green Khali. *seeks approval*....

Not surprise as I'd been saying that about Killings for years.

This is one of those memorable occasions when TNA put WWE to shame by actually being objective about the film instead of trying to bury
I've said it before, and I'm saying it again now, but where, in the release from WWE, is the film being buried?

All that comment says is that the depiction of wrestling shown in the film is indicative of the indy scene and not WWE. That isn't burying the film, that's stating a stone-cold fact.

Guest Dave7g
It's rubbish either way. WWE are saying that none of their wrestlers become washed up, use drugs, use blades, have a hard life after the big time etc. Whatever way you look at it, it's just the usual WWE corporate bullshit.

Guest Jayfunk
Because it tastes different.

excalty! if TNA was excalty the same as WWE then i wouldn't like it. TNA and WWE may have things that are the same. but so did WCW and WWF. But TNA is different enough for me to actually enjoy their product, rather than not enjoying WWE's product.