Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

Lance Storm's thoughts on this week's RAW and Impact shows

Guest DarkMatchJobber

Guest DarkMatchJobber

Thought this would make interesting reading.

RAW

RAW was, perhaps more importantly, far more counter productive. Raw had a ton of momentum going into this weeks show. The heavy angle last week with Vince and Randy Orton was AWESOME. Randy was fantastic in every regard last week (as he has been since his return) and he was really coming off as the true Star in WWE. Kicking Vince in the head last week was an “Oh My God” moment like no other. It looked great, put a ton of heat on Orton, and left everyone thinking, what next. They then followed up with Orton winning the Royal Rumble and making Randy the most important player in the company.

I tuned in Monday to see what possible explanation they could come up with to justify Randy’s continued employment in WWE after almost killing the Owner. They opened the show with another AWESOME performance by Randy Orton, and even managed to deliver an out, I could accept and buy into. The promo was great and Randy came out with even more heat than he had the week before, which I didn’t think was possible. Through out the show they replayed the kick of death countless times and it just kept getting better and better.

At the end of the show when Randy threatened to file an injunction and shut down WrestleMania and actually begged Stephanie McMahon to fire him, Randy was the greatest and hottest heel I’ve seen in ages. This was so unbelievably tremendous!

Then… then… then the show fell off a cliff, crashed and burned, and died a painful miserable death. Shane McMahon came to the ring and beat the living shit out of all three members of Legacy. Yes Shane McMahon, the non-wrestling character, office working son of the boss, single handedly destroyed the newly created hottest heel in the company in a one on three situation.

You could have dropped this angle in liquid nitrogen and it wouldn’t have lost heat this fast. I genuinely like Shane, he’s a great guy and a lot of fun to be around, but there is no way in hell this man should be even a physical blip on Randy Orton’s radar screen, let a lone beating the hell out of him. The only way this could have worked is after the first time Priceless pulled Shane off Randy; Orton punted him in the head too.

And that’s not even the worst of it. Even if it had been the Undertaker (The longest standing WWE bad ass) who came out to beat up Orton, it still would have been WRONG. This angle started LAST WEEK. WrestleMania is 2 months away and Orton has only had heat for 1 week. NOBODY should be getting one up on him this early under any circumstances. My interest in this angle went from 20 out of 10 to 2 out of 10 in less than 10 minutes. That may be a new record in counter productivity, I hope they can salvage it next week but to be honest I’ve got so little interest in it now, I’m not even sure I’ll be watching next week. THUMBS DOWN.

Impact

Okay now onto to TNA Impact, which I think may have been the worst wrestling show I’ve ever seen, despite actually having a fair bit of wrestling on it. The only reason I thought RAW was more counter productive than this show was that RAW was actually great and had heat starting out. TNA is TNA and if stupidity made you tune out you’d have stopped watching a long time ago.

The only entertainment Impact provided me this week was hysterical laughter during Scott Steiner’s ring introductions. When he introduced the Kong-tourage as Kong-Fucious (I think that’s what he said) I almost fell off my couch. We learned 2 things from this introduction: 1) Scott Steiner does not watch the product and doesn’t know who any of these people are, and 2) The guy who wrote out the ring introductions for him has such poor penmanship that Scott Steiner couldn’t read his handwriting. Some might think he did it on purpose but he struggled so long trying to figure out what it said that there is just no way. Not to mention the fact that Nash corrected him right away.

Booker T and Kevin Nash on commentary was horrible. Booker who did almost all of the talking sounded like he was trying to do his best imitation of Don West imitating a fast talking auctioneer. He talked so fast with suck a gravelly voice I had no idea what he was saying. Both guys came off like they couldn’t give two shits about this show, so why should anybody else? The only reason I didn’t turn this show off was because I wanted to be able to write a rant about it once I’d seen it all.

The whole first hour on the show was a direct rip off of the angle WCW did when the NWO took over Nitro, which ironically enough holds the prestigious place in history as (I believe) the most unsuccessful wrestling show there ever was. That episode of Nitro made more people turn off the show than any other episode in history. If as many people tuned out during this week’s Impact as tuned out the first time this angle was done, TNA will actually end up with a negative number of viewers.

To make matters worse, once Foley showed up and took back the show things got dumber, although in a more subtle way. This show, for the um-teenth time in a row, COMPLETELY buried the Baby Faces. When the MEM was in charge of the show and booked matches in their favour, they completely dominated and squashed their opponents. ODB got Killed, Petey got killed, and the Refs got killed. Then when the tables were turned and all the matches gave the baby faces the HUGE advantage, the matches were competitive even contests. Even with the deck stacked in their favour these Baby Faces cant’ win.

Sting fought both Dudley’s and held his own and I think wend to a no contest. Abyss fought Scott Steiner in a match where he could use weapons and Scotty couldn’t yet it was an even battle and Abyss could not pin Steiner despite hitting him with several weapons. Then the real kicker, Kurt Angle faced both members of LAX (one of whom had just been awarded a World Title Shot) and BEAT THEM CLEAN. The baby faces in this company are the most useless tools in wrestling history.

A couple other nit picky points; showing footage from the UK trip was brilliant, the crowds looked awesome, but why did they have to show Jeff Jarrett and Samoa Joe? Both guys are “out” in story line, yet they were shown wrestling this past week. If they are healthy WHY AREN’T THEY ON THIS SHOW? The whole premise of this show was that the Mafia could take over because Foley wasn’t there and Jeff was still home healing from his beat down. If Jarrett is working live events why isn’t he doing his job running Impact?

Last but not least. When Cornette made the SURPRISE announcement that Booker T would face Shane Sewell at the PPV, Don West immediately piped in that Shane Sewell was fine with this and felt that he owed it to the rest of the referees to stand up for them. WHERE THE F--- DID HE GET THIS INFORMATION? He had no prior knowledge of this announcement, yet he already has knowledge about how one of the guys in the match feels about. Did referrer Shane Sewell telepathically alert Don West of his feelings?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jayfunk

i for one am sick of lance storms b*tching, Who the hell does he think he is? a mid carder who allow great in the ring couldn't talk for sh*te. If he hates wrestling so much, A) don't watch or B) get his ass out of retirement and do somethong about it.

he has turned into an Internet Mark b*tching all the time

Edited by Jayfunk

Guest DarkMatchJobber
i for one am sick of lance storms b*tching, Who the hell does he think he is? a mid carder who allow great in the ring couldn't talk for sh*te. If he hates wrestling so much, A) don't watch or B) get his ass out of retirement and do somethong about it.

To me he is nothing at all like an 'internet mark bitching all the time' as he is clearly an intelligent and well-spoken individual plus his many years in the business competing for several respected promotions does give his opinions quite a bit of weight in my view.

About both shows Lance is saying what many are probably thinking but let me highlight some very accurate points he made.

Then… then… then the show fell off a cliff, crashed and burned, and died a painful miserable death. Shane McMahon came to the ring and beat the living shit out of all three members of Legacy. Yes Shane McMahon, the non-wrestling character, office working son of the boss, single handedly destroyed the newly created hottest heel in the company in a one on three situation.

Exactly what I and many others thought,how does it make sense having a non-worker beat up the hottest heel in the company at this moment and make his understudies look ineffective?

The whole first hour on the show was a direct rip off of the angle WCW did when the NWO took over Nitro,

There is no denying that,surely nobody can...can they?

COMPLETELY buried the Baby Faces. When the MEM was in charge of the show and booked matches in their favour, they completely dominated and squashed their opponents. ODB got Killed, Petey got killed, and the Refs got killed. Then when the tables were turned and all the matches gave the baby faces the HUGE advantage, the matches were competitive even contests. Even with the deck stacked in their favour these Baby Faces cant’ win.

As has been the problem since the MEM vs Frontline angle first started with the veterans looking dominant and competite but the babyface frontline looking weak and vulnerable.

Then the real kicker, Kurt Angle faced both members of LAX (one of whom had just been awarded a World Title Shot) and BEAT THEM CLEAN. The Booking Team in this company are the most useless tools in wrestling history.
(don't agree the faces are tools but corrected it)

What exactly is gained from burying the LAX like this? Do they benefit in any possible way....No

Last but not least. When Cornette made the SURPRISE announcement that Booker T would face Shane Sewell at the PPV, Don West immediately piped in that Shane Sewell was fine with this and felt that he owed it to the rest of the referees to stand up for them. WHERE THE F--- DID HE GET THIS INFORMATION? He had no prior knowledge of this announcement, yet he already has knowledge about how one of the guys in the match feels about. Did referrer Shane Sewell telepathically alert Don West of his feelings?

Exactly,this just makes TNA look stupid

You couldn't be more butt-hurt if you tried.

Who do you think YOU are?

YOU write your opinions online about shows. Now, the fact that no one cares about them probably has a lot to do with who YOU are. We all know Lance Storm, and I always pay attention to what people who've been in the business, ESPECIALLY someone who's won championships in each of the three major American companies during his time.

He doesn't hate wrestling. Did you miss all the good he had to say about a GREAT angle the WWE had going until they pissed it all away. Was he supposed to say something GOOD about that awful show TNA put forth? I'm one of the many people who tuned out. Maybe because Lance is from rural Canada, but I understood Booker perfectly and laughed heartily at his commentary and his ruthless burying of everyone he talked about. Then he did 3rd person play-by-play as he whooped ass in the ring. Hilarious.

Awfully unproductive.

But hilarious.

Because the man thinks TNA repeatedly shoots themselves in the foot with terrible ideas (which they do. You're the only person in the world who seems to think otherwise.), he now "hates" wrestling. You go ahead and sacrifice 1/120th of what that man has for the business he loves then go about spewing your steady stream of bullsh*t.

And don't bring your stock "YOU JUST HATE TNA FOR NO REASON" argument. I was the biggest TNA mark on this site. My screen name, for years, was "Spiral Tap" because I watched those first PPV's live and was repeatedly captivated and entertained by a fantastic product. I'm one of the few people who thoroughly enjoyed Jeff Jarret's title runs. I ran from my bustop to my house on Fridays just so I could atleast catch the last match on iMPACT.

Fact is, the company is less than a shadow of itself. The X Division has been raped (...I wonder....), the "main event" is abysmal, and every single time they look like they're taking a step in the right direction, they make sure to sprint backwards and cartwheel back past square one and dig themselves into a whole based purely on idiocy.

It's bad.

• Heart 1

Now if only you could argue against his points.

Oops, is that slander? I'ma'bout to get sued.

Guest Jayfunk
You couldn't be more butt-hurt if you tried.

Who do you think YOU are?

YOU write your opinions online about shows. Now, the fact that no one cares about them probably has a lot to do with who YOU are. We all know Lance Storm, and I always pay attention to what people who've been in the business, ESPECIALLY someone who's won championships in each of the three major American companies during his time.

He doesn't hate wrestling. Did you miss all the good he had to say about a GREAT angle the WWE had going until they pissed it all away. Was he supposed to say something GOOD about that awful show TNA put forth? I'm one of the many people who tuned out. Maybe because Lance is from rural Canada, but I understood Booker perfectly and laughed heartily at his commentary and his ruthless burying of everyone he talked about. Then he did 3rd person play-by-play as he whooped ass in the ring. Hilarious.

Awfully unproductive.

But hilarious.

Because the man thinks TNA repeatedly shoots themselves in the foot with terrible ideas (which they do. You're the only person in the world who seems to think otherwise.), he now "hates" wrestling. You go ahead and sacrifice 1/120th of what that man has for the business he loves then go about spewing your steady stream of bullsh*t.

And don't bring your stock "YOU JUST HATE TNA FOR NO REASON" argument. I was the biggest TNA mark on this site. My screen name, for years, was "Spiral Tap" because I watched those first PPV's live and was repeatedly captivated and entertained by a fantastic product. I'm one of the few people who thoroughly enjoyed Jeff Jarret's title runs. I ran from my bustop to my house on Fridays just so I could atleast catch the last match on iMPACT.

Fact is, the company is less than a shadow of itself. The X Division has been raped (...I wonder....), the "main event" is abysmal, and every single time they look like they're taking a step in the right direction, they make sure to sprint backwards and cartwheel back past square one and dig themselves into a whole based purely on idiocy.

It's bad.

he offers but cristism, nothing constutive and to say that everything in a show sucks is bullsh*t and I don't care who they guy is really if he can do nothing about but b*tch just to get over with the marks

I am also not the only person in the world who actually enjoys the product millions do! understand TNA is very easy watch it!

Guest Jimmy Redman
he offers but cristism, nothing constutive and to say that everything in a show sucks is bullsh*t and I don't care who they guy is really if he can do nothing about but b*tch just to get over with the marks

I am also not the only person in the world who actually enjoys the product millions do! understand TNA is very easy watch it!

He said he enjoyed Steiner's ring introductions. Yeesh. You're complaining about Storm hating THIS WEEK'S IMPACT?

Storm gets a bit nit picky at times, but usually he's quite spot on with a lot of things. I dont think Storm said anything in that post that basically everyone on this forum hasnt also said in the Raw and Impact threads this week.

Guest HH-Evolution

I don't see anything that nobody else hasn't said already, Jay - Legitimate complaint is legitimate, and no amount of your 'ZOMG, UNFAIR...JUST SO HE CAN BE A MARK LOVE MACHINE' has any actual bearings on TRUE criticsims on flaws in the product that are being noted there by Storm, here and on other sites, and in many of the viewers eyes...it seems like you accuse us of being blind to the WWE's flaws and then TOTALLY contradict yourself after by accusing one of the hardest working Legit workers of the business of being a biased fool, despite him taking a shot at BOTH COMPANIES?

How much more of a hypocritical tool do you WANT to sound right now? Seriously.

Dude, take a step back at how ridiculous you've made yourself look with this clear case of Denial - Either acknowledge that TNA is slowly becoming more and more the wrestling punchline that the WWE has, in YOUR eyes, become, because of the Bookers and the angle mistakes...or continue to close your eyes, suck your thumb, and throw the toys from your pram EVERYTIME somebody mentions that TNA is OH-SO-SLIGHTLY off kilter.

TNA isn't faring any better than the WWE at the moment, generally - it's just the truth.

Deal with it.

Edited by H}{H-Evolution

Guest Jayfunk
Millions?!

Yes anything over a million is millions even if its 1.2

I don't see anything that nobody else hasn't said already, Jay - Legitimate complaint is legitimate, and no amount of your 'ZOMG, UNFAIR...JUST SO HE CAN BE A MARK LOVE MACHINE' has any actual bearings on TRUE criticsims on flaws in the product that are being noted there by Storm, here and on other sites, and in many of the viewers eyes...it seems like you accuse us of being blind to the WWE's flaws and then TOTALLY contradict yourself after by accusing one of the hardest working Legit workers of the business of being a biased fool, despite him taking a shot at BOTH COMPANIES?

How much more of a hypocritical tool do you WANT to sound right now? Seriously.

Dude, take a step back at how ridiculous you've made yourself look with this clear case of Denial - Either acknowledge that TNA is slowly becoming more and more the wrestling punchline that the WWE has, in YOUR eyes, become, because of the Bookers and the angle mistakes...or continue to close your eyes, suck your thumb, and throw the toys from your pram EVERYTIME somebody mentions that TNA is OH-SO-SLIGHTLY off kilter.

TNA isn't faring any better than the WWE at the moment, generally - it's just the truth.

Deal with it.

I don't think i have ever said that TNA is without faults or for that matter disputing what he said, To me it doesn't effect my enjoyment of the product. I just feel sometimes even when TNA does something well (and they do) people are very quick put them down and very picky in regards to the product, just because they aren't WWE. As a TNA i don't expect they to have the same quality (production wise) than the WWE given the fact they have years more experience, and for TNA it is a learn curve. i like TNA for what it is and try not to compare it to nything else

Edited by Jayfunk

Guest MastersGonads
Yes anything over a million is millions

Really?!

If you were to say millions to me...I would think multiples, like 2-3 million plus...

I watched my first ever episode of TNA last night to see what the fuss was...and Lance Storm was right...it was bloody terrible!

Guest Jayfunk
Really?!

If you were to say millions to me...I would think multiples, like 2-3 million plus...

I watched my first ever episode of TNA last night to see what the fuss was...and Lance Storm was right...it was bloody terrible!

1.2 is a multiple

Guest MastersGonads
1.2 is a multiple

Not to get pedantic, but its not a multiple of millions though is it...For me when you say millions, I would think multiples in terms of 1 million, 2 million etc...

But this is silly beyond even TWO's standards....

Guest Jayfunk
Even so to say to only a few people like is also questionable, especially as last monh they had a very successful tour of the UK

I wouldnt argue that. But I'd also point out that the UK run was so big because of how much big wrestling we get compared to the States.

Plus with them being house shows there would be less crap produced (as most smarks know, and most people at the shows would have been smarks I would imagin).

Guest Jimmy Redman
Not to mention that if you added all of the UK attendance from the tour together, you would get a whole lot less than a million, so its entirely irrelevant.

Yes anything over a million is millions even if its 1.2
No, it's really not. "Millions" is a plural, meaning there are more than one.

My beef with Impact is that they sometimes run the same angle over and over again and expect the people to buy it. A prime example of this is the current Booker T v Shane Sewell feud, which is pretty much the same as the Bashir/Sewell feud.

And I still haven't seen an explanation as to why Shane is refereeing again after being fired then re-hired as a wrestler.

My biggest complaint with TNA, though, is that they ignore things that should mean something and react huge to things that are, mostly irrelevant.

In a recent example, Hernandez fought Sting for the title, Sting countered Hernandez's stalling suplex (a signature move) into a Scorpion Deathdrop (a finisher) and covered for the pin. Hernandez kicked out of said finish and continued the match.

The commentators barely batted an eyelid.

Guest Da Showstoppa
Gotta say I agree completely with Lance Storm. Impact was godawful and Raw managed to blow the hottest angle they'd had in years.

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity