Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

Should WWE Bring The Hardcore Title Back or Should TNA Have One?

Guest DarkMatchJobber

Guest DarkMatchJobber
Some wrestlers are better suited to gimmick matches and throwing weapons/hitting each other with weapons then they are at having regular matches and a lot of the time a hardcore wrestler doesn't even need to be that good on the mic to get over as a personality...so why not resurrect the hardcore title in WWE for wrestlers who perhaps don't fit with the rest of the roster or even better why don't TNA create a hardcore belt seeing as most of their matches take place under hardcore-like rules?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lilmisselectric

I don't think we will see the Hardcore belt back in WWE anytime soon, which is a shame as it would be a belt that could move from show to show allowing some cross promotion. It would be a title that individuals such as Finaly, Regal, Kane, Knox could fight for and in the process have quality matches.

Doesn't Foley have the original Belt? If so then vince would either need to patch things up with Mick or create another belt if he was to bring it back. But, as I was disappointed with what happened to ECW I won't hold my breath that Vince would consider bringing it back and if he did I don't expect it would be the same as it was, match wise i mean.

No.

With a hardcore division you end up with mid card nobodies (Hardcore Holly and Al Snow FFS) having a match where multiple weapon shots (chairs and belts mainly) dont get a pin. This means in a top level fued you end up with wrestlers being forced to outdo those shots for a screwjob ending, and thats crap for both suspense and for the wrestlers health. I mean come on, if HHH clocks Orton with a chair shot to give the advantage to Edge (names out of a hat time there :lol) and so the win then it makes Orton look like a bigger wimp than the mid card nobodies.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

I'd have to say no too. Hardcore matches are fine until overdone and having a belt would mean there would be alot more of them then there currently are which does take the effect of object shots away somewhat.

Like said also with WWE becomming PG then there really isn't much room for weapon filled brawls with blood everywhere like back in the attitude era

Guest Y2James
I would love to see the hardcore belt back in the WWE for purely selfish reasons, but for numerous reasons stated above its not going to happen and maybe thats for the best.

Guest Flamboyant Fozz
I enjoyed the matches but it probably went a bit far. You went from being hit by the Genius' scroll resulting in a pin, to being hit multiple times with a baseball bat with little effect. Marty Jannetty was kicked through a window and was out for months, Raven was hurled through a window and was down for about 30 seconds. By all means have the no DQ matches but I don't think they should return to having a title that everyone gets a turn with.

Guest Chriscare

No they shouldn't. It was bad enough last time, bringing it back at a time when the titles they already have arent being used properly and when wresters can't bleed or really use weapon is absolutely insane.

As for TNA, yes they defintely should. They should be making every attempt to capture the audience that WWE has left behind.

Edited by Chriscare

I will make this comment and it will more than likely catch some flack, but I will say it anyways- anything the WWE does, TNA will attempt to copy it. Therefore, if WWE brought back the Hardcore Title, then TNA would feel like they had to get a Hardcore Title of their own.

When I first read the title of this thread, I thought the same thing I always do on the subject- it would be nice for the matches. After reading some of the comments above, I have realized that bringing the Hardcore Title back to WWE would no doubt undermine the higher up talent on the roster. As stated, we would see a rise in screwjob endings. Just picture a pay-per-view main event ending like it did with Rock and Austin at WrestleMania X-Seven with about as many chair shots as there had been WrestleManias up until that point. I am not knocking how the ending was done, as it was a great heel turn for Austin, but the number of chair shots seemed to be overkill. I think one chair shot from Vince followed by a roll-up by Austin would have probably done the trick.

Anyways, I digress. If the Hardcore Title were to come back to WWE (which I would just about bet money against it ever coming back), I still believe that, instead of bringing back the Hardcore Title, per say, they should just make the ECW Title be fought under "extreme rules" whenever it is defended. However, as stated, Vince seems to be very anti-hardcore at this stage. That is evident by watching ECW devolve gradually from what it was in 2006 (every match at One Night Stand being "extreme rules" and having several "ECW Originals" like Rob Van Dam, Balls Mahoney, Sandman, Sabu, etc. Then there was where they only did Extreme Rules Matches as an outright gimmick match with a title and now we are lucky to see two Extreme Rules Matches in one year outside of One Night Stand/Extreme Rules and the only "ECW Original" left in ECW is Tommy Dreamer). When I think about this topic and what Vince's mode of thinking is, I always remember a quote (though not exact) that was fed to Lawler during the Vengeance pay-per-view in 2006, where he said something along the lines of "ECW is not wrestling" or "ECW Originals can't wrestle" or something to that effect. Not to mention when he referred to ECW as "Extremely Crappy Wrestling"; which seems/seemed to be Vince's mode of thinking at the time.

Man, I keep drifting off of the topic. Anyways, back to where I was before my rant. TNA having a Hardcore Title would not really make a difference to the product from my viewpoint as they run enough gimmick matches (both hardcore and confusing :lol Who will ever forget or understand the reverse battle royal?) to where it would not make sense to have a separate title to represent a match style to which they already do and alter on a regular basis. Even if the 24/7 rule was brought to TNA with the Hardcore Title, it still would not be all that different from what they have been doing. Having only one brand under the TNA name, having four titles is exactly the right number to have (for WWE, I could see an extra title or two added to the original four, but nine is overkill).

Guest Edgedogg
I can honestly say I do not miss the Hardcore title, although some of the matches were fun and the 24/7 thing was a brill idea. With the way wrestling is going (family viewing) I don't think it has a place right now. Matches that are contested under hardcore/extreme/no dq or what ever rules....are done now to settle a feud and to let the wrestlers tell a story now more than anything else...

Guest DarkMatchJobber

I think guys like Al Snow,Crash Holly and Hardcore Holly became more popular and were more entertaining competing in hardcore title matches then when they were in regular bouts because it gave them a bit more creative freedom in terms of what they could do in and out of the ring.

I look at talent like The Boogeyman,Mike Knox,Jamie Noble (who could be a Crash 24/7 for this generation) and Santino (another contender for the Crash 24/7 champion) and think they would benefit a lot from having the hardcore title to compete over.

TNA would also benefit from a hardcore title as wrestlers such as Abyss fall perfectly into that category as well as guys like Hernandez who would probably do better by himself in that kind of division.

Guest ScottyB

I honestly don't think there's a place for it in the current programme.

It'd take away the whole feel for any hardcore matches that happen now, which is few and far between.

However, I'm sure another belt could adopt the 24/7 rule, you know, just for Santino to win/lose it in some comedic fashion.

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity