Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

Wrestlemania Money Matches

Guest DarkMatchJobber

Guest DarkMatchJobber

It seems that every single year the Hulk Hogan vs Stone Cold match is discussed within the WWE and amongst the fans but to date it has not happened. Obviously it would be a huge money match for the company in terms of drawing on pay-per-view and at the live gate but with the ever-increasing unlikeliness of it happening what Wrestlemania money matches do you think there are which are more viable?

For me there are a few which spring to mind

Stone Cold Steve Austin vs Randy Orton - No need for the legend killer character as this match could draw on the basis that Orton has defeated every major name in the company but has never faced the Texas rattlesnake and wants to cement his 'legacy' by facing and defeating him on the grandest stage of them all.

Stone Cold Steve Austin vs Edge - I think fans would flock in their droves to see Austin open a can of whoop-ass on the rated r superstar. Edge for his part would heel it up brilliantly leading up to the event which would heighten the fans' anticipation for Austin kicking his backside at Mania.

The Rock vs Randy Orton - Even though he is a full-time actor The Rock has never indicated that he won't return to the ring and for me this 3rd generation vs 3rd generation clash would be something to behold.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

A match involving Austin/Hogan and pretty much any main eventer would do quite well I suspect

Cena, Taker, Michaels, HHH, Edge take your pick and put them in there with either of the two mentioned above and it would whip up some interest from people to see as a one off main event

Yeah I'll concur with DC here, The Rock isn't coming back for a while and has said many times in countless interviews.

The only money match left is something to do with Austin and a big star for him to have a final match against. Michaels I would prefer, as I personally think the man has a heart black as coal and deserves (kayfabe or not) to have his ass handed to him by this industry's biggest star (..yeah I know..'arguably' and all that wiff-waff)

Guest Dave7g
Yeah I'll concur with DC here, The Rock isn't coming back for a while and has said many times in countless interviews.

The Rock isn't coming back, he is finished with wrestling, so he will make no money at wrestlemania because he'll never be in a wrestlemania match ever again.

The Rock isn't coming back, he is finished with wrestling, so he will make no money at wrestlemania because he'll never be in a wrestlemania match ever again.

Never say never. I wouldn't be shocked if he did come back. It won't be this year though.

Guest Cathal
'Hey Raw fans, DJ here' - That's what Rock said in a commercial during Raw last week, kinda seems weird that he wouldn't even make mention of being the Rock during a commercial intended to air during Raw, so yeah I'd say he's done with wrestling.

Guest John Hancock
Taker vs Sting

It's too late for that. Outside of the indie/smark/udnerground world (yes, I include TNA in that), Sting hasn't meant anything since 2000 when he was feuding with Vampiro.

Considering how much the fan base of wrestling has changed in those nine years (NINE YEARS!) I doubt that all that many WWE fans would have any idea who Sting was. Chris Jericho, Christian Cage, D'Lo Brown and Rob Van Dam are all probably better known by WWE core fan base than Sting is, so it figures that Sting would get a worse reaction than those guys if he just turned up on Raw. To most people, he's just some guy who worked in WCW and nothing more.

I doubt him coming into Wrestlemania to fight anyone, even the Undertaker, with his reputation and nothing more would really get any buys at all from a modern wrestling crowd.

It could work if WWE built up the character with video packages. Cactus Jack was pretty much in the same bracket when he fought HHH (with hardly any of the WWE fanbase having actually seen Cactus Jack wrestle), so they used video packages to show them what this guy was capable of.

Showing footage of Sting single-handedly taking out the nWo (which they will remember as being Hall, Nash and Hogan) and he would be a credible opponent.

Guest Jayfunk
Considering how much the fan base of wrestling has changed in those nine years (NINE YEARS!) I doubt that all that many WWE fans would have any idea who Sting was. Chris Jericho, Christian Cage, D'Lo Brown and Rob Van Dam are all probably better known by WWE core fan base than Sting is, so it figures that Sting would get a worse reaction than those guys if he just turned up on Raw. To most people, he's just some guy who worked in WCW and nothing more.

You are sadly right and that says alot about the WWE core fan base really, after all Sting has done alot more than a Jechico, van dam, D'lo or Cage has done put together (ok maybe not together in the case of Jechico, but he has done far less than Sting). I wouldn't actually like him to come across as i would like to see one legend not have to come to the WWE it actually be one.

Guest John Hancock
It could work if WWE built up the character with video packages. Cactus Jack was pretty much in the same bracket when he fought HHH (with hardly any of the WWE fanbase having actually seen Cactus Jack wrestle), so they used video packages to show them what this guy was capable of.

Showing footage of Sting single-handedly taking out the nWo (which they will remember as being Hall, Nash and Hogan) and he would be a credible opponent.

That would be the only way really.

The only difference, I would say is that 2009 isn't 1998, and that TNA isn't ECW, if you know what I mean.

Most WWE fans in 2009 only know the WWE. They consider it to be the be all and end all of wrestling, and they don't seem to particularly know their "history" too well. Say "there's a guy in TNA who used to be a really big deal in WCW about a decade ago" and the average WWE fan's reaction is probably going to be, "What's TNA? And why do I care about WCW, Vince told me that it sucked and was a failure. Plus, 10 year ago? He must be like 50" Plus, Sting has never been in WWE/F. All the videos could really show was kind of... average action. A few corner splashes, a reverse DDT or two, a Sharpshooter, maybe a Manhattan Drop and some Ric Flair-esque wooing. I don't see how you translate to little clips just how good Sting was. The atmosphere, the Crow stuff, the mystery, appearing in the rafters. I think you just had to... be there for that stuff.

In 1998 people... well... gave a sh*t. People knew the other promotions, and if you said to someone "There's this guy who does Death Matches in Japan with barbed wire and C4 and wrestles in ECW", then people (me included at the time) just sh*t their pants with anticipation. People knew what ECW was, even if they didn't watch it, and especially amongst those who didn't watch it

(me included at the time) it had this reputation of just being way, way over the top. Too far, too violent, just... crazy. Add to that the words "Japan" and "Death" and you don't really need to know too much about wrestling to know it's going to be some hardcore motherf*cker going tit crazy on everyone. Then, in the clips, they showed explosions and hardcore stuff, and barbed wire, and branding, and tables, and glass and blood and just mental stuff. People just hadn't seen that before, it was so... hardcore, you could watch it for five seconds you just saw things you couldn't physically believe that people did to each other. Add to that, the WWF new Mick Foley already, he'd had a go two years as Mankind already and was pretty over as a crazy weirdo, so they pretty much had to say "You know that crazy guy Mankind? Well, he's going to come back even crazier".

I just think WWF had a way easier jobs introducing Cactus Jack than they would have introducing Sting.

Guest John Hancock
Not in the last eight or nine years, he hasn't.

Yeah, this is the crux of it really. It's about recent work rate rather than the past.

Bring back Brock Lesner and Terry Funk, see who gets a bigger reaction. Wrestling has a VERY short memory these days.

Yeah, this is the crux of it really. It's about recent work rate rather than the past.

Bring back Brock Lesner and Terry Funk, see who gets a bigger reaction. Wrestling has a VERY short memory these days.

Terry Funk wrestled for WWE more recently than Brock Lesnar did.

Guest Jayfunk
Yeah, this is the crux of it really. It's about recent work rate rather than the past

The thing is that is recent work (inside the ring) has been still good matches with Angle,Joe, Jarrett. People loved flair well past his prime and i mean well pasted his prime. Why not sting? Sting could be brought in with the build DC mentioned but he is talented enough to get over again with the WWE fan as he has the christima to do it, heck with the Sh*te on there roster it might even improve things

Guest John Hancock
Terry Funk wrestled for WWE more recently than Brock Lesnar did.

That was just a appalling example by me really. But the point remains.

The thing is that is recent work (inside the ring) has been still good matches with Angle,Joe, Jarrett. People loved flair well past his prime and i mean well pasted his prime. Why not sting? Sting could be brought in with the build DC mentioned but he is talented enough to get over again with the WWE fan as he has the christima to do it, heck with the Sh*te on there roster it might even improve things
He may have had good matches with Joe, etc, but that doesn't mean anything when they happened in TNA and the majority of the WWE audience isn't even aware of the matches happening.

People loved Flair past his prime for the same reason they loved Hogan past his prime; they connected with the fans in a way few wrestlers (including Sting) could ever dream of.

You also have to factor in that Flair had been with WWE from pretty much November 2001 until his retirement (and even then, he was still being mentioned or appearing on TV). Flair was in the public conciousness of the WWE fans, something Sting has never had.

It is this reason why Flair lasted so long. Well, that and because he is Ric "WOOOOO! BY GOD" Flair.

Guest John Hancock
I think people forget that before all the retirement angle stuff last year, during his final face run, he wasn't REALLY all that over, other than as an excuse for everyone to shout woo.

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity