Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

TNA: I've tried to give it a chance

Guest Da Showstoppa

Guest Da Showstoppa

I think I've had it with TNA. I tried to give it a chance but the oversaturation of the MEM and the pi$$ poor creative (and lack of decent matches vs dumb vignettes) has all but killed it for me. And to think I used to miss Match Of The Day to record Impact!

Is Jarrett seriously trying to recreate WCW? It sure seems like it, from the prodution to the staff and now the senseless and poorly executed angles (and Domination of the nWo er MEM)

I can't imagine what got me into TNA in the first place ... Oh wait, they USED to have excellent matches and showcase the young and hungry talent. But it's just got so minor league - actually the minor leagues probably have more wrestling.

Win a night with ODB? Seriously people will buy a PPV to see this? I'd happily enter a competition NOT to spend a night with ODB!

Sarah Palin? Who is she supposed to be and why should we care?

And the MEM? Russo, 2000 called and it wants it's storyline back. Angle is a phenomenal wrestler and deserves better than this nWo rehash. Nash and Steiner can barely move and Bookah now has the personality of a breeze block.

Where is the next Samoa Joe or AJ Styles, I couldn't tell you, the MEM has hogged the screentime.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Y2James

TNA is abysmal in so many ways. I say that but I still watch and tend to enjoy it, even though I can see how bad it is.

The acting is embarrasing and there is no fresh young talent being given a chance. I remember when TNA was better than WWE (in my opinion) but those days are long gone. TNA is so bad that you HAVE to watch it and its so horrid its enjoyable, if that makes any sense.

On the plus side, Don Wests heel turn is brilliant :)

Guest John Hancock
TNA is abysmal in so many ways. I say that but I still watch and tend to enjoy it, even though I can see how bad it is.

The acting is embarrasing and there is no fresh young talent being given a chance. I remember when TNA was better than WWE (in my opinion) but those days are long gone. TNA is so bad that you HAVE to watch it and its so horrid its enjoyable, if that makes any sense.

On the plus side, Don Wests heel turn is brilliant :)

I totally agree. It's like a parody of a wrestling show. Sometimes, WWE can do bad stuff, or stuff that doesn't work, but TNA seems like it's going out of it's way to do the stupidest stuff physically possible, defying all logic and common sense to "be different". The only reason they're "being different" is because no one else is stupid enough to try things that horrible, and when they do try and do something that is Russo-rific, they end up doing something that's just a complete repeat of something that was fresh a decade ago hoping lightening will strike twice.

Just... pathetic. I can see absolutely to reason to defend it. It's the emperor's new clothes of wrestling. People don't like the WWE, so they convince themselves, or simply just pretend that they like TNA to look alternative and edgy and different from the mainstream, in the same way that people continued to boo Cena long after he became WWE's best face, just because the INTERNETZ had told them to. I'm absolutely 100% certain of that. I don't see any reason that any mentally capable adult would enjoy watching TNA for any reason other than car crash T.V.

I'm still waiting for Russo to announce that all of TNA has been his most elaborate swerve to date.

Guest Jayfunk
I totally agree. It's like a parody of a wrestling show. Sometimes, WWE can do bad stuff, or stuff that doesn't work, but TNA seems like it's going out of it's way to do the stupidest stuff physically possible, defying all logic and common sense to "be different". The only reason they're "being different" is because no one else is stupid enough to try things that horrible, and when they do try and do something that is Russo-rific, they end up doing something that's just a complete repeat of something that was fresh a decade ago hoping lightening will strike twice.

Just... pathetic. I can see absolutely to reason to defend it. It's the emperor's new clothes of wrestling. People don't like the WWE, so they convince themselves, or simply just pretend that they like TNA to look alternative and edgy and different from the mainstream, in the same way that people continued to boo Cena long after he became WWE's best face, just because the INTERNETZ had told them to. I'm absolutely 100% certain of that. I don't see any reason that any mentally capable adult would enjoy watching TNA for any reason other than car crash T.V.

I'm still waiting for Russo to announce that all of TNA has been his most elaborate swerve to date.

Well, i disagree with pretty much everything in statement.

parody of a wrestling show

I don't see how you can claim TNA is but WWE isn't when WWE doesn't even like the word Wrestling and has lengthy promos and has little wrestling either.

People don't like the WWE, so they convince themselves, or simply just pretend that they like TNA

That is a tad insulting perhaps people just prefer the Roster and prefers there style of wrestling and yes there is a differece, TNA fans aren't just made up of those who think wwe sucks heck even i don't think that.

I'm absolutely 100% certain of that. I don't see any reason that any mentally capable adult would enjoy watching TNA for any reason other than car crash T.V.

Again insulting for the same reason as above.

I enjoy TNA for the following reasons

- I prefer the roster.

- The have a better Tag, Cruiser and Female divisions IMHO

- I like the six sided ring (its different)

- I like the fact they actually try different things sure they may fail but people seem to forget the ones that work.

- They are different to the WWE for example there is no way WWE will bring in talent from a cross the world as TNA does or co promote events such as global Impact.

- TNA talent can work on the Indies still (good if you like shimmer)

- The have the right number of belts and not more than one for the same thing

- More importantly they do have great matches Jarrett vs Angle at Genesis is a prefect example that was one of the MOTY already also Sabin vs Shelley

The irony of the thread to me is this time of the year is when i try to give the WWE a chance i always buy Mania as i am a mark for it and i watch the shows running up to it and normally backlash as, sadly last year blacklash sucked so i gave up but there is always hope

Edited by Jayfunk

I don't see how you can claim TNA is but WWE isn't when WWE doesn't even like the word Wrestling and has lengthy promos and has little wrestling either.
TNA has lengthy promos as well. They also have far, far too many "to the back" segments and the amount of times they run the same promo video (PPV or "Cross the Line") in a single show is ridiculous.

You seem to be under the impression that TNA Impact is all wrestling matches with, maybe, five minutes set aside for the talent to do interviews.

I like the six sided ring (its different)
So is sh*tting in the living room. Different doesn't automatically mean good. Putting Spike Dudley in the main-event of Wrestlemania 25 would be "different", but that doesn't mean it has to be done.
I like the fact they actually try different things sure they may fail but people seem to forget the ones that work.
And, Jay, surely that is the biggest failure of all.
The have the right number of belts and not more than one for the same thing
Yes, that TNA Legends Title isn't superflous at all. ;)
More importantly they do have great matches Jarrett vs Angle at Genesis is a prefect example that was one of the MOTY already also Sabin vs Shelley
TNA do have great matches now and again, but they are so few and far between, it's a running joke.

I want TNA to give me great matches every single week, but they can't do it because the booking has to be over-complicated at every turn.

WWE usually has one good-to-great match on its weekly TV shows and rarely has a PPV where none of the matches are memorable, but TNA, unfortunately, struggle to carry any momentum from the things they do right. That is the main problem and, until they get someone in who can see that, it will continue to be the main problem until they implode.

Guest John Hancock

Parody Of A Wrestling Show - I still stand by that. How can a company so openly defy all the logic of the wrestling business for any reasons other than parody? Defying the heel face dynamic for absolutely no reason, intentionally confusing the audience as much as possible, putting hired guns over home made talent at every opportunity, finishing angles and storylines half way through with no conclusion...

You can moan about the WWE all you like, but nothing, NOTHING they do wrong is done any better by TNA. TNA, for about two months, had a better women's division, and last year, they had a better cruiserweight division, but now, nothing, at all. TNA does all of WWE's mistakes worse, and WWE does all of TNA's positives better.

It's meant to be insulting.

If you like WWE, then why bring up it's negatives constantly, in every single thread whenever someone insults TNA. I'll stop believing that all TNA fans are only there because the dislike WWE the second you, or any of the other TNA marks on here can listen to one of Mitch or Jimmy's criticisms against TNA and argue back without saying "Yeah... but WWE did (totally unrelated example of something WWE has done)". When TNA can be defended without being seen, at most, as the lesser of two evils, I'll apologise for being insulting. Until then, I stand by it.

As for the other points;

Who's on the roster thats honestly at the top of their game? You've go the got the main event which is made up of WCW, WWE and ECW pensioners, or you've got the mid card made of ex RoH guys and Shimmer girls doing a much worse job than they did in the indies. If I want to watch the Murder City Machine Guns, or Samoa Joe at their best, I'll watch RoH, if I want to watch women's wrestling at it's best, I'll watch Shimmer, or some of the Japanese federations, and if I want to watch 1994, I'll get out my old VHS collection. I can't think of a single member of the TNA roster who is, right now, the best they've ever been.

The six sided ring is no better or worse than a four sided one. It's a novelty, like having different coloured ring ropes, or having the referees dressed as firemen or whatever, it doesn't make the product any better or any worse.

The ones that work are very, VERY and tend to be quite minor and almost always ignored by the creative. The negatives are constant, pretty much every show, comprise the main talents and titles, get most of the screen time and are repeated over and over and over and over and over and over again.

What talent have TNA bought in from across the world? WWE rarely uses non-American talent, but so does TNA. Global Impact is just a publicity stunt to raise TNAs profile.

The indie deal only works with Shimmer. TNA's male talent aren't allowed to appear on other PPVs and haven't been able to for at least a year or two, so no, TNA's roster doesn't still work the indies, and even if they did, so? How's that a good point about TNA? It would a good point about RoH to say that "Sometimes, Alex Shelley is on RoH", but how is "Sometimes, Alex Shelley isn't on TNA!" a positive point? Now, if TNA were able to get their entire main event to vanish into the Indies, then year, you'd have a point, and TNA would be endlessly improved, but as it is, nah.

The number of belts is irrelevant, it's the prestige they carry. Having too many belts is very damaging to prestige, but it's more damaging to give the title over to any 45 year old who asks nicely enough.

Honestly, who many times have you mentioned Jarret Angle? It's starting to get silly. Every single thread where TNA is insulting, someone turns up with "BUT WHAT ABOUT JARRET VS ANGLE LOLZ?!?!?!". In that vain of logic, I'm here by going to defend everything that WWE does wrong by saying that Hart VS Austin was really good, because, apparently, if you have one good match, that makes you exempt from criticism.

Guest Jayfunk
Defying the heel face dynamic for absolutely no reason, intentionally confusing the audience as much as possible, putting hired guns over home made talent at every opportunity, finishing angles and storylines half way through with no conclusion...

Sting. you see you missed the point of the arch. Sting is a face even in the MEM is motives have been logical from the start its about respect. he joined the MEM because these are wrestler who are legends (for the most part) and should get respect, but he has distanced himself from the heel stuff they do from the start. it isn't a massivly different thing he did in WCW when people didn't know what did know what side he was. Heck the NWO were heels also which people cheers TNA wasn't the first to invent shades of grey.

Also it is not remotely confusing if people watched it.

You can moan about the WWE all you like, but nothing, NOTHING they do wrong is done any better by TNA. TNA, for about two months, had a better women's division, and last year, they had a better cruiserweight division, but now, nothing, at all. TNA does all of WWE's mistakes worse, and WWE does all of TNA's positives better.

WWE doesn't have a cruiser division and before people mention Bourne he is a poor mans Styles. And they have TWO tag teams of any note both wear belts which is a joke.

The ones that work are very, VERY and tend to be quite minor and almost always ignored by the creative. The negatives are constant, pretty much every show, comprise the main talents and titles, get most of the screen time and are repeated over and over and over and over and over and over again.

or people do look for the positive in things

Honestly, who many times have you mentioned Jarret Angle? It's starting to get silly. Every single thread where TNA is insulting, someone turns up with "BUT WHAT ABOUT JARRET VS ANGLE LOLZ?!?!?!". In that vain of logic, I'm here by going to defend everything that WWE does wrong by saying that Hart VS Austin was really good, because, apparently, if you have one good match, that makes you exempt from criticism.

because people say they don't have great matches and it happened recently and WWE hasn't matched it yet for story, for wrestling or for working this year.

Yes, that TNA Legends Title isn't superflous at all

maybe but i still think it could be there IC belt if they built it correctly which they have done a good job.

Also with Aj winning

it mean he is the only grand slam winner who says they never put over home grown talent! also its not lik having 2 world title belts, 3 mid card blts, 2 tag team belt and 2 female belts

You seem to be under the impression that TNA Impact is all wrestling matches with, maybe, five minutes set aside for the talent to do interviews.

i didn't say that but say TNA isn't a wrestling show when WWE is about the same in terms of promos is un fair

It's meant to be insulting

but that is like me saying you must be dumb if you have long untidy hairand listen to rock music (which i don't believe) but is much a generalistaion as

I don't see any reason that any mentally capable adult would enjoy watching TNA for any reason other than car crash T.V.

If you like WWE, then why bring up it's negatives constantly, in every single thread whenever someone insults TNA. I'll stop believing that all TNA fans are only there because the dislike WWE the second you, or any of the other TNA marks on here can listen to one of Mitch or Jimmy's criticisms against TNA and argue back without saying "Yeah... but WWE did (totally unrelated example of something WWE has done)". When TNA can be defended without being seen, at most, as the lesser of two evils, I'll apologise for being insulting. Until then, I stand by it.

its defensive sometimes it not easy to be a minority ;) its not easy to hear something you love being constantly bitched about without any mention of the positives (which i believe they are many)

Powerslams review of TNA PPVs are negative but they mention both sides

EDIT: I don't think TNA is perfect either they have many faults but to me the positives out way the negatives

Edited by Jayfunk

Guest Fiona

I don't think TNA is perfect either they have many faults but to me the positives out way the negatives

And that's fine Jay, but other people's opinion of TNA is different. If you really think about it TNA is really missing a great opportunity right now. The WWE sucks big time, and TNA should be taking this chance to ramp up their roster and try to peel away some of those fans to their side. That's where they are failing miserably.

I am one of the biggest complainers about the WWE right now, it's boring as hell, and not looking to get any better any time soon. But after watching a couple of TNA Impact shows I find they are just as bad if not worse. It's way to gimmicky for me.

I think most of us would like to see TNA give Vince and Co. a run for their money, but it just never seems to happen. TNA reminds me of the WWE's poorer cousin, it's sad but true.

Allow me to defend TNA by saying this: I really enjoy what little of it I get to see. I don't try too hard to figure out storylines, I couldn't care less about who is supposed to be heel or face, and by doing this I find their actual in ring wrestling product to be very enjoyable. I will say that they have too many swerves though, but apart from that, I've really enjoyed the matches that I've seen from TNA.

EDIT - Oh, and I don't compare it to the WWE either, I view it as an entirely different wrestling product, as I do with most different wrestling companies.

its defensive sometimes it not easy to be a minority ;) its not easy to hear something you love being constantly bitched about without any mention of the positives (which i believe they are many)

Then... mention the positives instead of comparing it to WWE and making a muppet out of yourself for not being able to argue properly ?!

I've fallen out of TNA on the whole - although I do get the thrill of watching it and laughing at the terribleness. It's good fun and what's great is, unlike WWE which you felt you needed to watch, TNA doesn't have that same necessity (FOR ME PERSONALLY, IN MY OPINION, DON'T ATTACK ME PLLLZ). Like, if I miss a week... no biggie, I'll just watch the next episode and I'll laugh at that one and it won't matter that I missed anything.

One tiny thing that I hate about TNA - the naming of Impact episodes... it's so cheesy, really REALLY cheesy and isn't something that gets mocked enough !

Guest Jayfunk
One tiny thing that I hate about TNA - the naming of Impact episodes... it's so cheesy, really REALLY cheesy and isn't something that gets mocked enough !

I love the titles it gives the show a general story and feel. Also its something different

Guest Fiona
I love the titles it gives the show a general story and feel. Also its something different

Yes but it's different for all the wrong reasons. Instead of the creative team coming up with show names, they should be writing better feuds, doing away with some of the awful gimmicks and trying to turn out a better product.

No I don't expect TNA to put out the same matches as the WWE does but I expect them to try a little harder. These are the problems I have with TNA right now.

1. Too many ex-WWE wrestlers, it's like they weren't good enough for the A-Company so the B-Company grabs them.

2. The matches and ring are way too gimmicky for my taste.

3. They have to get out of where they are and take the show on the road. Believe it or not there is a big difference to watching a show that has 16,000 screaming fans in attendance, and a show that has what appears to be 1,000 fans there.

Sting. you see you missed the point of the arch. Sting is a face even in the MEM is motives have been logical from the start its about respect. he joined the MEM because these are wrestler who are legends (for the most part) and should get respect, but he has distanced himself from the heel stuff they do from the start. it isn't a massivly different thing he did in WCW when people didn't know what did know what side he was. Heck the NWO were heels also which people cheers TNA wasn't the first to invent shades of grey.

Also it is not remotely confusing if people watched it.

Confusing watching it? Jeez, Jay, it's more confusing reading you trying to explain it.

TNA have one single solitary thing that has been a success from day one; Ultimate X. Everything else has either been over-booked, over-blown, over-done or all three at once.

When TNA do something right (the build to the first and last Angle/Joe matches), they balls it up by over-exposing it and making it worthless.

Guest Jayfunk
Yes but it's different for all the wrong reasons. Instead of the creative team coming up with show names,

I am sure that has nothing to do with anything the 30 seconds it takes to come up with a name is not enough time to fix TNA's creative issues

Guest Jayfunk
Yes but it's different for all the wrong reasons. Instead of the creative team coming up with show names,

I am sure that has nothing to do with anything the 30 seconds it takes to come up with a name is not enough time to fix TNA's creative issues

3. They have to get out of where they are and take the show on the road. Believe it or not there is a big difference to watching a show that has 16,000 screaming fans in attendance, and a show that has what appears to be 1,000 fans there.

Costs would go up, the number of fans looks better but has little to do with the quality some of the best wrestling ever has happened in front a 1000 odd fans

Guest Fiona

Costs would go up, the number of fans looks better but has little to do with the quality some of the best wrestling ever has happened in front a 1000 odd fans

I think we've had this discussion before. Yes I know costs would go up, they would have too, but it would outweigh the money they bring in from ticket and merchandise sales.

I don't know if you've been to Florida before I have, believe me there is so much to do and see there, that going to see a taped segment of Impact would be last on the agenda. If you want to see Disney World that is 3-4 days alone, then you have Busch Gardens, the Kennedy Space Centre and I could go on.

With the economy the way it is, you would think that TNA wouldn't expect their fans to come see them, they would go to them. It is a lot cheaper for fans to pay for a ticket to get into an arena to see a show, than pay a couple of thousand dollars to visit Florida to watch a taping. TNA really needs to get exposure not stay in one place and hope that they can grow. Sometimes you have to spend a little to get a lot.

Guest DarkMatchJobber
defying all logic and common sense to "be different".

Whilst I agree with defying logic and common sense I think it is a case of TNA trying to be like WWE and recycling ideas that didn't work beforehand that is the problem,if they were different the product might be a more viable alternative to WWE's.

At the moment I am not sure who is supposed to be the authority figure in TNA...is it the majority shareholder/most slobbishly dressed man in wrestling Mick Foley? is it the 'old school is cool' Jim Cornette or is it 'king of the molehill because TNA isn't a mountain' Jeff Jarrett?

Personally I just want to see Jarrett turn heel as soon as possible and start cracking guitars over annoying babyfaces' heads.

Guest aceytrixx

At the moment I am not sure who is supposed to be the authority figure in TNA...is it the majority shareholder/most slobbishly dressed man in wrestling Mick Foley? is it the 'old school is cool' Jim Cornette or is it 'king of the molehill because TNA isn't a mountain' Jeff Jarrett?

I would like to see this situation sorted out. As it seems to be mainly Jarrett and Foley then every so often Cornette pops up but given that he didnt have the power to restart a match back at Genesis (I believe it was then?..) but Mick Foley did then it would seem he cant have much power at all

Guest DarkMatchJobber
They should just get rid of all three if they can't decide who is the boss and bring Ernest 'The Cat' Miller in as commissioner :lol

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity