Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

WWE vs UFC

Guest Jayfunk

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea. Don't really pay attention to that but it's generally more popular among adults.

To be honest wrestling should be better viewing as it's a show of performance but currently apart from the Smackdown brand it's arguably the worst the industry has ever been in.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
isn't UFC buyrates out doing WWE's?
Depends who's fighing in the main event on the UFC show but, generally, yeah in the US UFC do plenty more buys then WWE PPV's do

Lesnar vs Mir II for example will destroy Night of Champions in buyrate terms I would expect

Mini breakdown of Jan - July 2008

Jan:

WWE: 533,000 buys

UFC: 225,000 buys

Feb:

WWE: 329,000

UFC: 650,000

Mar:

WWE: 1,058,000

UFC: 325,000

Apr:

WWE: 200,000

UFC: 525,000

May:

WWE: 252,000

UFC: 475,000

June:

WWE: 194,000

UFC: 225,000

July:

WWE: 273,000

UFC: 529,000

Average:

WWE: 405,571

UFC: 420,714

Edited by Nemesis Enforcer

Guest The GS
isn't UFC buyrates out doing WWE's?

Not in the UK

That's because we don't/didn't have to pay for the PPV's when we got/had Setanta.

Guest Dave7g
Lesnar vs Mir II for example will destroy Night of Champions in buyrate terms I would expect

You reckon? Lesnar/Mir is expected to be around 1.7 million buys, Night of Champions will be doing well to get a tenth of that.

You reckon? Lesnar/Mir is expected to be around 1.7 million buys, Night of Champions will be doing well to get a tenth of that.
It's hardly a fair comparison though, is it? UFC's biggest show ever, celebrating reaching the 100 milestone, with a massive grudge rematch, isn't on the same par as a WWE B-level PPV. WrestleMania would be a better comparison (and I would expect the UFC card to do better numbers than this year's 'Mania anyway).

Guest Cathal
Most UFC B shows will beat WWE PPV's with the exception of WrestleMania. They are just way better with their promotion of shows.

Guest Dave7g
I think it has a lot to do with wrestling being out of touch nowadays, it's still looking for that golden age to rise again but where UFC has the greatest heel ever with Brock, drawing incredible buyrates, and causing media to notice every move he makes, wrestling is still going with bikini models and leprechauns winning matches. It's in the dark ages and should realise that before it's too late.

I think the production and excitment of a UFC PPV out does WWE PPV's hands down. Nothing on a WWE show shocks me anymore, the last time i can say i was excited and shocked i would possiby be going back to New Years Revolution 06 with Edge cashing in MITB

Guest Fiona

I think it's because the WWE is now catering to the younger kids, while UFC is going after the teens and 20 somethings. Not to mention the marketing and promotion is much better than the WWE or TNA could ever dream of doing right now.

Plus UFC is the thing to watch right now.

Guest Cathal
Nah, it's not the audience or anything like that. UFC has better build to shows, UFC has more stars and books better than WWE despite WWE being able to decide their match outcomes. Lesnar brought over loads of WWE fans and I'm sure plenty of them haven't looked back.

It's really freaking simple...UFC is a blood sport, like boxing. Which also routinely outdoes WWE buyrates. People like the blood and they like seeing others getting legitimately hurt. Half those people would cum in their pants if a fighter was actually killed in the ring. People are sick, perverted and twisted.

Its like the thing with WWE is, and although i watch religiously, i wouldnt dream of buying a PPV to see eg.

Triple H vs. Randy Orton in their 27th PPV match, especialy when WWE gives it away free on TV in some form nearly every week.

UFC's big advantage is, although you can sometimes get weaker looking cards, it remains fresh every month. You will see most guys fight only around 3-4 times each year, and they have an incredible talent pool at the minute, even if there perhaps aren't as many "headline" superstars, ie Shamrock, Ortiz, Liddell and Couture, the depth of quality and quality fighters is much better than ever, IMO.

Plus there should be some super fights in the pipeline, ie Griffin vs Silva, a possible St. Pierre vs. Silva, Penn vs. Florian

It's really freaking simple...UFC is a blood sport, like boxing. Which also routinely outdoes WWE buyrates. People like the blood and they like seeing others getting legitimately hurt. Half those people would cum in their pants if a fighter was actually killed in the ring. People are sick, perverted and twisted.

Well.. This is a load of rubbish..

Yeah... you're not winning many friends with that kind of attitude. There are a LOT of MMA fans here, and a lot of people would be pretty pissed off at being unfairly labelled like that.

Like me for example.

Guest Jayfunk
WWE's main problem is over exposure.

I think you are right. I can see a time when the WWE will be on TV everyday and that will just kill it, as they not be able to turn over wrestlers and storylines quick enough

I think the production and excitment of a UFC PPV out does WWE PPV's hands down. Nothing on a WWE show shocks me anymore, the last time i can say i was excited and shocked i would possiby be going back to New Years Revolution 06 with Edge cashing in MITB
Punk's two cash-ins?

Cena returning unannounced at the Rumble?

Neither of these were shocking/exciting moments?

As has been alluded to, UFC has an advantage with the fact their guys aren't on TV fighting every week. WWE used to have that where the top guys wouldn't have matches on the weekly television shows (SNME and PPVs were about it for the most part), they would simply run angles or do interviews to hype the next PPV bout (which normally had a good few months to build as well).

It's too late for WWE to go back to that in one fell swoop, they'd need to gradually bring it back in line by slowly reducing the appearances of the top-liners (which would probably hurt ratings, leaving them with a Catch-22). Imagine the reaction if Triple H and John Cena rarely had televised matches outside of PPV (they'd work the house show circuit like Hogan did in the old days) but were booked against each other one night on RAW.

That would make it a huge deal simply because you don't get to see these guys face off, leading, if all went to plan, huge ratings. To compare, look at Lesnar in UFC. He debuts at UFC 81 in February 2008, doesn't fight again until August 2008 at UFC 87. Lesnar then wins the UFC Title at UFC 91 in November.

This means that in the whole of 2008, Lesnar fought a grand total of three times. His next fight, which we all know was at this month's UFC 100. For the whole of 2009, Brock Lesnar has fought once... and at the biggest event in UFC (and MMA?) history.

If UFC talent were booked to fight every week, the draw wouldn't be anywhere near as impressive due to the "can't miss this" factor not being an issue; miss this week, watch Brock next week. If WWE could find a way to reduce the exposure of their topliners (even limiting them to appearances in tags or six/eight-men matches), then they would feel the benefits too.