Fan Clubs

The Rock makes 2 Wrestling Appearances

Guest The GS

For all of those who keep saying that The Rock wants to distance himself from wrestling http://www.talkwrestlingonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47758

well 2 bits of information have been announced in the last few days,

On September 26th

According to F4WOnline.com, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is confirmed for the upcoming SmackDown! 10th Anniversary show.

A WWE film crew filmed the segment with Rock at his house earlier this week.

On Sep 28th

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson made a surprise appearance last night in Mineola, Florida for a WXW independant wrestling show promoted by Afa the Wild Samoan.

Rock came to support the debut of Sarona Snuka, Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka's daughter, who has been training to become a wrestler for a while at Afa's school.

The following is a user-posted YouTube video of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's appearance at the WXW independant wrestling show this past weekend:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzAM6v5E7nU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzAM6v5E7nU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

source: wrestlezone.com

Edited by The GS

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DarkMatchJobber
I bet Vince loves the fact that an Indie promotion managed to get The Rock to appear but he won't even do anything other then a pre-taped promo for WWE these days.

Afa's his uncle though, isn't he? It seems The Rock only really turns up when it's a family matter.

It's still wrestling though isn't it....And don't forget that he's on Smackdown this week too (even if it is just a taping, he's embracing his wrestling past which many people said he wants to forget about)

Have you changed your opinion since these quotes John Hancock?

If The Rock embraced his wrestling past, the studios would LOSE money because 95% of the population, who think wrestlings the dumbest sh*t on T.V. would pretty much instantly stop taking Johnson even slightly seriously as a Hollywood actor.

Not one of those would be seen dead near the WWE.

And neither would The Rock, so they fit together pretty well.

Guest John Hancock
Beautiful missquoting there. Really top class. That was a conversation about movie producers pressuring the Rock into guest hosting RAW as a way of advertising a new film. How is that in any way comparable to the Rock helping out his uncle in an untelevised appearance, on his own terms, very, very much out of the media spotlight.

Your acting like he's all of a sudden become the new Raw general manager. He isn't.

The Rock has never said anything bad about the WWE in any interviews when he's been asked about it. I'm sure if the McMahons asked him to do a promo, what's the harm in that, but it doesn't mean he's ready to get back into the ring anytime soon.

As for the appearance he made recently, as someone said he did it for his uncle. The last time he appeared for the WWE he was inducting his father into the Hall of Fame. They look like a very close knit family and I'm sure that him showing up there was just that, a favour for his uncle.

Oh and I don't think anyone ever said he wants to forget about his wrestling past, that would be stupid, that's how people got to know him. He just doesn't want to actually wrestle anymore. He's moved on, about time some of his fans did too.

Edited by Fiona

Guest HH-Evolution

If this thread was created to help 'disprove' Johns point, you're misguided...

He won't come back to the WWE for anything more than a cheap quick plug. THAT is all.

As was stated, he'll be doing the nostalgia bit, but as for Rocky 2009 re-emergances, not going to happen...the same, I believe, as the majority of the arguments declared would happen.

I just created this thread to let people who thought that The Rock was ashamed of the wrestling business know that he has 2 appearances for this week...

Also I never thought or said that he'd wrestle again.. I personally don't think that The Rock will wrestle again unless it's for huge money at Wrestlemania...

Also, I didn't mean to single out John Hancock, I was talking about all the people who said the Rock was done with the wrestling business. I only singles out John a small bit because he was the only one on the thread at the time.

Oh and I don't think anyone ever said he wants to forget about his wrestling past, that would be stupid, that's how people got to know him. He just doesn't want to actually wrestle anymore. He's moved on, about time some of his fans did too.

Someone did............

I would rule it out. He wants to keep clear of wrestling and for good reason, even just GMing Raw for a night would make people start talking about his wrestling past which he wants to avoid at all costs.

I dont think I'm misunderstanding this quote.

I think what NE is trying to say, is that he doesn't want people to think that he will one day come back as a wrestler or even guest host. He can't avoid his past, even now he gets asked about it in interviews, to not acknowledge it would be ridiculous.

I think that by the fact that he did his uncle a favour and he cut a promo for the WWE it's already starting. He doesn't want to wrestle anymore that the end of it.

I think what NE is trying to say, is that he doesn't want people to think that he will one day come back as a wrestler or even guest host. He can't avoid his past, even now he gets asked about it in interviews, to not acknowledge it would be ridiculous.

I think that by the fact that he did his uncle a favour and he cut a promo for the WWE it's already starting. He doesn't want to wrestle anymore that the end of it.

Loads of people said he'd never appear on wrestling again..... Never say never as they say.

Guest Jimmy Redman

HEY GUYS, YOU WERE ALL WRONG, WRONG WRONG~!

Or something.

Did you really read the old thread GS? Because just to repeat Hancock's point, the argument in that thread was about you suggesting that Rocky would be forced to Guest Host Raw by his movie promoters. Which is still ridiculous so I'm not sure why you're gloating about it.

Then Franchise came into the thread and we all died a little inside.

Anyway, like I said in the Smackdown thread, its just a pre-tape and watching the debut of a family member. He's not coming back to wrestling, he's still not appearing on wrestling, and this isnt even a particularly big reunion 'appearance' either. I doubted that he'd do the Raw GM thing, still do, but I wouldnt be overly surprised if he does. Its just a one-off shot in the celebrity host spot, its not even like he'd be in an actual wrestling role on TV, if that makes sense. And he's going to keep doing movies and still distance himself from wrestling professionally and refuse to be called The Rock or talk about wrestling in the media and maybe in another 18 months he'll do another pre-tape for something, and people will again clamour for him to return and it wont happen. And the world will keep on spinning.

So yeah, I mean as much as you can single out quotes of people's hyperbole like "never coming back" and "never happen" and what not, I really dont think the essence of what I or anyone else was saying in that thread has been proven wrong here.

Guest Dante Spears

I think what we're doing is exactly why the Rock doesn't do anything remotely related to wrestling. We're freaking out about a few minutes of pre-taped segment saying "look look, He's back".

Anyway to be fair to GS, people WERE saying that there's no way he'd ever appear again - not just on Raw but ever on WWE programming (Induction to the HoF notwithstanding). So simply changing their tone and saying "It's just a pre-taped segment" won't work because he did in fact appear on WWE. But appearing on a pre-taped segment sure as hell doesn't mean hes embracing it.

Guest Jimmy Redman
Anyway to be fair to GS, people WERE saying that there's no way he'd ever appear again - not just on Raw but ever on WWE programming (Induction to the HoF notwithstanding). So simply changing their tone and saying "It's just a pre-taped segment" won't work because he did in fact appear on WWE. But appearing on a pre-taped segment sure as hell doesn't mean hes embracing it.

Doing a pre-tape isnt exactly appearing on TV, for mine. Like, to me, its not nearly the same as walking out on TV and doing the show. I've said this before, but he did one in 2007, I wouldnt class that as appearing on Raw, especially for the purposes of this argument. Same with Bret Hart in 2007. Same with Obama, Hillary and McCain, for that matter. Its nowhere near being involved in a show like appearing live would be. But thats just me.

Smackdown spoilers:

Apparently during Rock's evil pre-tape he said he would be hosting Raw, I dont know when though. So I was wrong on that count, I guess, because I didnt think he'd do it. But like I've been saying all along, I dont think this really changes anything in the big picture.

Guest HH-Evolution
I think the ratings for that episode would be huge - nothing may change in the show, but the ratings would probably be quite something spectacular. :D

I'm amazed at people thinking The Rock is going to make huge ratings for just being a GM. He may break 4.0 if he's lucky, but it's not going to be massively higher than usual. I haven't a clue why it would be?

I mean a huge rating is like a 6.0 in today's climate and it won't be anything near that, I don't think. It's a V-Bookie that one.

Guest The Beltster

I dont think he would pull huge ratings. 3.6 - 4.0 max I reckon, because people arent going to flock back to wrestling to see the Rock in some lame backstage altercations with Dirk Diggler.

If he was going to wrestle on a PPV (outside of WM which will garner a good PPV regardless of who is on it or what matches occur it seems), then he would draw a number but he isnt going to draw some spectacular neilsen by being GM for one night IMO.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
Someone did............

I dont think I'm misunderstanding this quote.

The thread that quote from me came from was about Rock GMing Raw, and I said it wouldn't happen due to him not wanting to be in wrestling anymore, which his actions showed (his people asking interviewers to not talk about his wrestling past and what not).

Rock doing a taped promo for Smackdown isn't anything new, he has done a taped promo for Raw in the past after he left wrestling for the movie, but thats was as far as his involvment with WWE and wrestling went, this is going to be the same type of deal, and it will get little mainstream press I will bet you and thus not effect his career much.

What will be interesting is what he calls himself in this taped promo, does he call himself 'The Rock' or simply Dwayne Johnson?

• Join the early access

Members are able to join clubs and participate in the forums.

• Latest Club Activity