Fan Clubs

What a waste...

DC

Who do you think was the biggest wasted opportunity in the last 10-15yrs in pro-wrestling? Be it a character, a dropped push or storyline, there has been a lot cast to the wayside in recent times, cast aside when, if done right, they could have been something special.

I was torn between post-ECW-career Mike Awesome (RIP) and Mordecai, but went with the latter because at least Mike Awesome was used right somewhere.

The Mordecai gimmick was brilliant, the guy playing him (Kevin Fertig - a.k.a. Kevin Thorn) was ultra-believable as "The Right Hand of the Father" and the total package just worked.

The look was awesome, the music fitted perfectly and the message of self-righteousness was put across in stunning fashion. Original offence (check out the head-vice against the ringpost in his match against S2H), a killer finisher (The Razor's Edge, not seen in WWE since Scott Hall left) and a mean attitude in the ring (again, in the match against Scotty, watch how he acts after the bulldog), not to mention the size and physique Vince loves, meant that Mordecai should have rose through the ranks and became a top-level talent (with a ready-made feud against Undertaker a given), but it all disappeared as soon as it arrived. A handful of matches and a killer promos was all we got before the man behind the character was sent back to the minor leagues.

"Hear me, fear me" should have been the new "Rest in peace", but it simply wasn't to be.

Mordecai v Scotty 2 Hotty (Judgment Day 2004)

[YOUTUBE]YxHqLMMk8e8[/YOUTUBE]

Killing Aiko and Billy Kidman

[YOUTUBE]6l5j5mZxpGQ[/YOUTUBE]

Michael Cole: That, ladies and gentlemen, is a man who walks our streets.

Vignette

[YOUTUBE]O-y7bjrlX98[/YOUTUBE]

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest John Hancock
Rob Van Dam. I mean, yeah, he was big, yeah, he was champ and all, but, man, he could have been HUGE. He could have been Rock/Austin HUGE. But he wasn't. And he never will be.

Guest HH-Evolution

The ECW/WCW Invasion, I hear...I liked it, but I understand more could have been done with it than was at the time.

Still had me though, I loved that damn feud so much! <3

Guest Jimmy Redman

Mr Kennedy. I still have no idea how he got screwed up.

On a similar note, MVP, but he at least still has hope.

John Cena's character & promos from, I dunno, late 2005 to the present.

A lot of the injury angles they've done recently and completely wasted or just forgotten about completely upon return - Orton kicking Batista, Orton breaking Batista's arm, Orton costing Punk the WHC, Orton taking out Cena in 2007, RatedRKO taking out HHH, Beth killing Candice, etc. Its one of the easiest things in the world to book - revenge - and they never do it properly, ever.

The brand split in general.

As an aside I have never, ever, EVER seen why other people saw Mordecai as this potential main eventer, at all.

The ECW/WCW Invasion, I hear...I liked it, but I understand more could have been done with it than was at the time.

Still had me though, I loved that damn feud so much! <3

I had an inkling that The Invasion would be at the top of most people's lists. It's one of the main reasons why I asked for wasted characters/wrestlers and their individual storylines or pushes rather than things like the Invasion storyline.

Guest Jimmy Redman
Also, a couple of years ago there was this guy who was dead-set going to be the biggest thing in wrestling ever, without fail. I mean he was almost impossible to screw up, and yet somehow a way was found. Cant even remember his name now, big fat guy, Islander, name's Jim or John or Joe or Jazz or something? Anyone?

Always thought Maven could have been alot bigger.

Doesn't make any sense and don't really have path in my head of how he could have been big but just a general feeling.

He beat HHH though didn't he?!

Guest Jimmy Redman

Didnt he beat Taker? Or throw him out of the Rumble, actually?

Strange how he never got anywhere. New Years Revolution 2005 is his finest moment.

Reminds me of another waste. Shelton Benjamin. Not the whole "Shelton 4 World Champ" thing, but just generally. He could have been something more as a face, he could have been something more WITH HIS MOMMA, he could definitely be something more now since he's such a worker. Nothing too much, but he should at least be Benoit and Finlay working long TV matches with every young guy and making them look great.

Edited by Jimmy Redman

Guest Dante Spears

The Brian Kendrick.

He had it set. He had the ability, the jackets, the personality, the bodyguard, the jackets, the potential to be a main eventer. Then he decided he liked weed more then the possibility of being elevated to the top of the company, now he's wrestling in bingo halls.

Kenzo Suzuki

WWE really could have had an awesome heel with Suzuki (and did briefly) but he was released. :(

Also:

Mike Awesome in the WWF

Mordecai/Kevin Thorn (I liked both gimmicks)

Heidenreich (Awesome gimmick)

Diamond Dallas Page in the WWF

Chris Kanyon in the WWF

Sabu in WWE-ECW (taking him out of the Elimination Chamber at December to Dismember was the STUPIDEST desicion ever.)

Mr. Kennedy. I thought I was seeing a future World Champion at work. We all know how that worked out.

Rosey. I enjoyed him in 3-Minute Warning and as The Hurricanes crime-fighting sidekick. Then he just dissapeared.

I shall most likely think of more later.

EDIT - And Ultimo Dragon in the WWE. They really dropped the ball there.

Edited by ShaolinHandLock

Guest Wrestling God

I'm in agreement with those who have said Mordecai.

However, the main one that comes to my mind is Umaga. I mean, the guy KILLED everyone, had the most protected finisher that had been seen in some time and played his gimmick perfectly. Just a sad waste. (I blame the night he learned to speak:greets4:)

It's got to be Goldberg for me. WCW blew it with him, largely killing themselves in the process, only for WWE to go and wait WAY too long to bring him in. The man was the equivalent of Rock/Austin and just got completely misused.

Guest The Beltster
Mordecai. I marked out for this gimmick from the start, the vignettes, music, entrance, look etc. Everything was there apart from the experience and the match quality but I think both would have come given time. His performance vs Kidman and Akio showed EXACTLY how the gimmick should have been used and protected, not thrown in with a jealous old bastard like Bob Holly who went out of his way to make Fertig look like crap and completely expose him.

It's got to be Goldberg for me. WCW blew it with him, largely killing themselves in the process, only for WWE to go and wait WAY too long to bring him in. The man was the equivalent of Rock/Austin and just got completely misused.

To be fair, the winning streak angle was pretty damn good. :)

Oh, and those mentioning Akio reminded me: Akio & Sakoda seemed to do very little in the WWE, which is quite unfortunate.