Only An Excuse

Guest Russ

Was I the only person disapointed with this year's effort?

Maybe I've just been spoiled with too much "Only A Wee Excuse", but I didn't enjoy OAE as much as I have in previous years.

I found a few segments to draw on for FAR too long (See Bob Wylie, Dick Advocaat and Donald Finlay), and the focus was more on impressions, rather than making fun of people.

Maybe it's just because Watson's getting older. It's getting harder for him to do players, because they are all 10-20 years younger than him.

Don't get me wrong, I laughed my backside off at a few sketches(Barry Ferguson's "Nae Va Va Voom", Amoroso's "If You're Irish Come Into The Parlour"), but there was just something missing this year.

Ah well, at least Chewin' The Fat had me laughing. "Aye, 3. Yer 'leccy bill, the gas bill and A VERY IMPORTANT LETTER!"

I actually enjoyed Only an Excuse very much, although I do agree with you Russ on the Donald Finlay gag running on way too long, although I liked the Advocaat Stand Up bits, and thought the Bob Wylie bits were ok. Enjoyed the bits you mentioned as well, plus Alex Ferguson askign the donkey if hes related to Van Nistelrooy, cos they look alike, The bit with the celtic fans sticking the finger up etc at Chic Young when his back was turned, then when they turned there backs to celebrate the goal, he did it back, and the Euro 2008 advert. And as for Chewin the Fat, it was quality. The guy being in River City was really funny, especially the bit you mentioned. "This is an important letter *Walks right up to camera and sticks the letter in front of it* and when hes meant to be pretending to clean the windows, he walks along talking with the guy. All the sketches in ti were funny I thought, but I was disappointed that there was no Big Man on it, but the painters with the sword fight in the armour just about made up for that. Overall, I thought both shows were brilliant.

Guest The Crippler
I didn't see it as I wasn't over at Scotland this Christmas. My gran assures me that she has taped it though so I'm sure I'll get a look at it.

Guest The Crippler
Its just a Scottish show. Generally it just makes fun of people to do with Scottish football, mainly Rangers and Celtic and its very funny.

Guest Godfather

I do think Only A Wee Excuse has overexposed the show, was still funny but not *as* funny as previous efforts.

Chick Young 'haw wee man, gawn pull it', lol I wondered where that was going :D

Onto Chewin' The Fat, it was better than the last series but then we haven't seen as much of it due to Still Game, one thing that I am not looking forward to is Karen Dunbar's (if that is her name, can't remember) solo show starting next week... can't stand that woman.