Fan Clubs

I have an idea - a forum Tournament to crown the best indy wrestler

ShaolinHandLock

I have an idea for a tournament. Basically, I shall be compiling a list of 500 indy wrestlers, and I shall be matching them up randomly. Whoever gets 5 votes stays in, but whoever loses the match is voted out. It will continue until there is only one left, and that shall be crowned the best of the indy wrestlers.

This thing will not have polls, instead the votes will be counted whenever someone posts their vote. This is to keep things easy for me.

If I get at least 5 people that say it's a good idea, then I will go ahead with it. I've seen this done on other forums, so I thought I'd try it here, but if people here on TWO don't like the idea, I won't do it.

Who wants me to try?

EDIT - Forgot to mention, if I do this I will be including a picture as well as some information on each wrestler, to make voting easier. :)

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jimmy Redman

Without passing judgment either way...500 guys? Really? I mean, looking at the population here, most would be hard pressed to even name 50 indy wrestlers, let alone to have seen enough of them to make a judgment. I dont know if I'd be able to rate more than like 15 myself.

And thats without even getting into the logistical problems of doing polls for 500 guys. You'd be here for months.

The idea in itself is fine, but the scale is probably too large, I think you're way overestimating your audience here.

Without passing judgment either way...500 guys? Really? I mean, looking at the population here, most would be hard pressed to even name 50 indy wrestlers, let alone to have seen enough of them to make a judgment. I dont know if I'd be able to rate more than like 15 myself.

And thats without even getting into the logistical problems of doing polls for 500 guys. You'd be here for months.

The idea in itself is fine, but the scale is probably too large, I think you're way overestimating your audience here.

Yeah, I realised as soon as I started making a list that I can't name 500. :doh32:

I've cut it down to 150. That is, if it's going to happen. :)

I've decided to post the first random match up to see what happens. All information is credited to OnlineWorldofWrestling.com

http://i46.tinypic.com/2a6wa3d.jpg

Sabian

Also Known As: "The Black Jesus"

Born: April 25, 1979

Height & Weight: 5'7", 180 lbs

Trained By: Tony Nitro, Charles Gregory, Jerry Schaffer, Mike Quackenbush & Jorge Rivera

Debut: Febuary 26, 2000

Has Wrestled in: Combat Zone Wrestling, Chikara, IWs, WHW, MCW, IWA-Mid South, RCW, ACW, EWA

Titles Held: HPW Junior Heavyweight title defeating Insayashi (August 5, 2000);

DIW Cruiserweight title defeating Jimmy Blaze (September 7, 2001);

WWC (Vineland) Cruiserweight title defeating Junior (February 23, 2002);

CZW Tag Team titles w/Ruckus defeating the H8 Club (June 12, 2004);

CZW Junior Heavyweight title defeating Mike Quackenbush (April 2, 2005);

WXW Cruiserweight title defeating Drew Blood (April 3, 2005);

ACPW Junior Heavyweight title defeating Devon Moore & Aramis (June 26, 2005);

MBA Tag Team title w/Eddie Kingston defeating Maven Bentley & Shawn Bishop (October 1, 2005);

ACPW Junior Heavyweight title defeating Chris Wylde (December 11, 2005);

EWA Cruiserweight title defeating Drew Gulak, Bruce Chan & Jimmy Starrz (March 4, 2006);

UWA (Canada) Lightweight title defeating Derek Wylde (May 26, 2006);

UWA (Canada) Tag Team title w/Joker defeating Nick Watts & Jeff Flury (October 28, 2006);

CZW Tag Team titles w/Robbie Merino defeating Kings Of Wrestling (November 11, 2006);

MCW (Maryland Championship Wrestling) Tag Team titles w/Ruckus by winning a 3-WAY Tag Match (April 21, 2007);

CZW (Combat Zone Wrestling) Junior Heavyweight title defeating Danny Havoc (October 13, 2007)

Extra Notes: N/A

VS

http://i46.tinypic.com/a59lwn.jpg

Austin Aries

Also Known As: Austin Starr (TNA), Dan "Casual" Sexton

Born: April 15, 1978

Height & Weight: 5'9", 202 lbs

Trained By: Eddie Sharkey, Terry Fox Camp

Debut: November 11, 2000

Has Wrestled in: ROH, CZW, TNA, MIW, SDW, IWA-Mid South, ECWA, AWF (Australian Wrestling Federation), PWG

Titles Held: SDW (Steel Domain Wrestling) Tag Team titles (as Dan "Casual" Sexon) w/Big Hoofer Daddy as the Piston Sexon Connection;

MIW (Minnesota Independent Wrestling) Cruiserweight title;

MWCW Light Heavyweight title;

MIAW Cruiserweight title;

Neo Pro Wrestling Cruiserweight title winning a Tournament (August 18, 2002);

MAW (Mid America Wrestling) Junior Heavyweight title defeating Adrian Serrano & Shawn Diavari in a 3-WAY (March 22, 2003);

NWA-ACW Midwest X Division title defeating Shawn Diavari & Justin Cage to become 1st champion (September 3, 2003);

PWW (Pro Wrestling War) Heavyweight title won a tournament (December 12, 2004);

ROH (Ring of Honor) World Heavyweight title defeating Samoa Joe (December 26, 2004);

ROH (Ring of Honor) World Tag Team titles w/Roderick Strong defeating Sal Rinauro & Tony Mamaluke (December 17, 2005);

ROH (Ring of Honor) World title defeating Jerry Lynn © and Tyler Black (June 13, 2009);

Extra Notes: N/A

I have to go now, we'll see what happens. :)

150 wrestlers, two at a time, is far, far too many.

You have 75 "matches" to go through in the first round, 37 in the second round, 18 in the third, 9 in the fourth, then you have 4 quarter-finals, 2 semis and the final itself, making a total of 136 different matches that you want people to vote on.

It's too many (at least it's been reduced from 500, because that would been far, far, far too many) and not using polls just makes it worse because you then have at least six posts per match (the original and five replies for a whitewash), going up to a maximum of ten and you're running into thousands of posts for this idea... plus even more when the eventual discussions/debates are added into the mix.

In principal, the idea is OK, but the execution is all wrong.

Am I saying the obvious that Aries will win this (and this is likely to be a repeated theme) because nobody has a clue who the other guy is? I know I certainly don't.

Here's a better idea. Have select people pick an indie wrestler and justify why they think they could be a WWE top star. We all vote yes or no, and whoever gets the most votes wins?

• Join the early access

Members are able to join clubs and participate in the forums.

• Latest Club Activity