Fan Clubs

New TNA games coming.

Guest Dave7g

Last year, THQ's annual installment of WWE Smackdown vs. Raw faced legitimate competition for the first time in years, as Midway debuted its TNA Impact line of games based on a rival wrestling organization. Impact was well received by critics, enough so that Midway moved ahead with plans for a sequel; plans that were scuttled when the publisher entered bankruptcy.

Soon you'll be able to fit Samoa Joe in the palm of your hand.

While most of Midway's assets were acquired by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, the TNA Impact license was acquired by SouthPeak Interactive, which the publisher revealed in a quarterly financial report this week. In a conference call with investors, Southpeak CEO Melanie Mroz said the company was planning to launch TNA Impact: Cross the Line for the PSP and PSP Go this winter. SouthPeak chairman Terry Phillips added that the company is also publishing TNA Impact: Dual Slam for the DS, although no release date was given.

From Gamespot.

So the TNA Impact being a complete failure bullshit is finally put to rest.

Guest Jimmy Redman
According to Meltzer the new game is just the old game released on the new systems, not an actual new game, for which no sequel is in the works yet even with the new contract, because, well, yeah.

Guest Dante Spears
Last year, THQ's annual installment of WWE Smackdown vs. Raw faced legitimate competition for the first time in years,

I haven't laughed so hard in awhile

Guest ShaneMcCutcheon
I must have misread that quote from gamespot because I can't find the bit, anywhere in it, where it states emphatically and factually that TNA Impact wasn't a complete failure?

apart from maybe "Impact was well received by critics", a statement which I don't even really believe anyway as when it came out all I read was "critics" complaining about the storyline mode and how one dimensional the game was and what a big step backwards it was compared to other wrestling games in recent years. If you look at the metacritic stats here .. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TNA_Impact!_%28video_game%29 along with..

Reviews of TNA Impact! were generally mediocre. The game was praised for its realistic graphics and simple control scheme,[27] but criticized for its limited and repetitive movesets, poor entrances, lack of championship belts, and inconsistent AI.
then I'd suggest that it wasn't well received by critics at all.

I don't think that quote above puts anything to rest to be honest.

Edited by ShaneMcCutcheon

Guest Jimmy Redman
I even read on IGN.com that there was a new TNA game for 360 and PS3 being developed called Cross The Line.

Sure thats not just the re-release talked about in the OP?

They bought the licence from Midway so they obviously see some worth in it, otherwise they would have left it where it was, not sure if they bought the impact engine too, but I would think so. With the right amount of time and tweaking, that engine could be easily better than the outdated Smackdown one, since the motion is all fluid and there are little or no random cuts.

But it was a complete failure, Dave, no matter how blinkered you are, the facts show that it was a failure. Poor sales, poor reviews, a really badly implemented game engine, a piss-poor set of moves, the fact that some of the moves you unlock are already in your moveset (which is atrociously bad oversight), an AI system that reverses everything, etc, etc, etc.

Under any criteria you wish to use to judge the game, it was a failure. The only thing its had going for it were the fact it wasn't another WWE game and the graphics.

EVERY other aspect of the game sucked and the results speak for themselves.

Edited by Saz

Well I just went on IGN and it says

This game has yet to be announced for any specific platform.

But thats for the TNA iMPACT2.

For Cross The Line it only says DS and PSP

http://uk.psp.ign.com/objects/045/045431.html

edit: Gerwick.net also doesnt mention the 360 or PS3.

Pop up blocker at the ready

http://www.gerweck.net/news/1258117297.shtml

Edited by Paul

Guest Dante Spears
Two wrestling games, hillairious.

No, what's hilarious is the fact they called it "legitimate competition". I'm not going to argue with it's quality to you, but surely you must admit that it was probably only bought by smarks who've bought the SDvsR. And to be legitimate competition, the game would've had to put a dent in SDvR sales, which it didn't.

Oh, I forgot to say yesterday, but just because a game may be getting a sequel, that doesn't mean the original wasn't a critical and/or commercial failure. After all, Rise of the Robots got a follow-up, while a great game like Beyond Good & Evil was left to rot.

But it was a complete failure, Dave, no matter how blinkered you are, the facts show that it was a failure. Poor sales, poor reviews, a really badly implemented game engine, a piss-poor set of moves, the fact that some of the moves you unlock are already in your moveset (which is atrociously bad oversight), an AI system that reverses everything, etc, etc, etc.

I'm not "Blinkered" I'm not a ****ing horse. Poor sales you say? It sold 440,000 copies, which is almost twice as many as Legends of Wrestlemania.

Bad reviews like what? This one from Gamestop : "So, TNA Impact is not without its flaws. The character models are excellent while the animation is fluid and lively, but the physics of fighting definitely lack polish and can create some frustrating situations. Yet despite these technical shortcomings, it's still great fun to clothesline, drop kick, and power bomb your friends in and out of the ring. And, ultimately, isn't that what pro wrestling is all about?" They gave it a 7.

They gave Smackdown vs Raw 2010 a 7.5, That's pretty damn close.

You are wrong.

Guest ShaneMcCutcheon
with the greatest of respect posting one review to counter a comment stating it got poor reviews really doesn't mean anything. Neither is comparing it to the sales of Legends of Wrestlemania rather than the actual game that it was supposedly competition for.

Guest Dante Spears
I'm not "Blinkered" I'm not a ****ing horse. Poor sales you say? It sold 440,000 copies, which is almost twice as many as Legends of Wrestlemania.

Yeah, Legends of Wrestlemania was bad.

They gave it a 7.

They gave Smackdown vs Raw 2010 a 7.5, That's pretty damn close.

You are wrong.

Gamespot is one review critic, and in my opinion one with an annoying tendency to lather everything with tongue baths.

IGN gave TNA(PS3) - 6.4, it gave Smackdown vs RAW 2010 (PS3) an 8.5

GamePro gave TNA - 2.5/5, it gave Smackdown vs Raw 2010 a 4.5/5.

Games Radar gave TNA a 4 (Broken) and it gave Smackdown vs RAW 2010 a 9 (Awesome)

Comparing it LoW is a cop-out when it's supposed to be a challenger to Smackdown vs Raw's dominance.

With regards to numbers, this is taken from Lords of Pain:

"WWE's Legends of Wrestlemania reportedly sold 86,484 units in its first week out, which put it at No. 8 on the charts. In comparison, Smackdown vs. Raw 2009 did approximately double that number in its first week out while TNA iMPACT! did about 34,000 in sales."

Using those figures, LoW sold more than double the amount TNA Impact managed, while Smackdown vs. RAW (Impact's actual target) did twice as many again.To claim victory by topping Legends of WrestleMania is akin to claiming victory when Impact beats ECW in the ratings.

Bad reviews like what?
"Reviews of TNA Impact! were generally mediocre. The game was praised for its realistic graphics and simple control scheme, but criticized for its limited and repetitive movesets, poor entrances, lack of championship belts, and inconsistent AI."

That quote was taken from the game's Wiki page (I know, but it has source links to back it up). The following quotes are from the review on IGN, who, for Xbox360, gave it 6.7/10 while the average readers rating is 5.5/10 and the press average was 6.0/10 (the corresponding scores for PS3 were - as of today - 6.4, 7.2 and 6.1).

Sound

"As limited as the moves are, the commentary is worse and more repetitive. Moves sound good. The in-ring voices are pulled from one lame pile, but the story VO from Nash and everyone else is solid."

Gameplay

"The controls work well and moves look good, but you're going to see the same moves over and over and start to get bored. Tag matches are boring and ugly. The AI is dumb as well as cheap"

Lasting Appeal

"You can probably get eight hours out of the story. Although I like the controls, the limited move set makes the experience repetitive. There aren't many matches to keep you coming back."

There are good points to the game, mostly the graphics and the idea behind the game engine, but the flaws, bolded here, were too many and easily avoided (repetition, movesets - not having the Scorpion Deathlock and Angle's anklelock was ridiculous, repetition, CAW, repetition, AI, repetition, etc, etc).

Quotes from the PS3 review...

"As fun as the controls and Ultimate X are, after your first few matches, that impressive first impression will wear off and the weaknesses that lead to iMPACT!'s downfall will begin to crop up.

Yeah, the move system is easy to use, but there aren't that many moves to do. When Midway made the announcement that it was bringing TNA to the videogame world, it boasted that it was mo-capping more than 2,000 moves for the game. Now that the launch date is upon us, Midway has admitted that it couldn't get the majority of those maneuvers processed and into the title.

It shows."

------------------------------------------------

"A lot of kids flipped out when it was announced that the game would only have 25 wrestlers, but I didn't see a problem with the roster if everyone felt different and original. Thanks to the limited move set, that doesn't happen. The same suplex, atomic drop, stomp to the crotch, and submission holds are shared by large portions of the TNA talent list. Worse, iMPACT! doesn't support character-specific taunts, so individuality has been scratched out there, too. I understand that real wrestlers share a pool of moves, but you can't tell me that everyone feels this similar with the exception of their finisher." (the part in bold is a relic from the old WWE games on Megadrive/SNES and has no place in a current-gen game)

"The fact that everyone starts to feel like everyone else could be excused if iMPACT!'s Create A Wrestler knocked my socks off, but it didn't.

You can create one of your five CAWs -- yeah, just five create slots -- from the main menu"

"When you jump into your CAW's moves for the first time, you'll see that all of his punches, kicks, and seven grapples are set to default moves and that there are a handful of locked moves for each position. When you win a match, you'll get a stat screen after the three-count that tallies your strikes, grapples, and so. Your performance will then be rewarded with Style Points that accrue and unlock those CAW moves at preset intervals.

This system sucks. Don't think I'm hiding something here, you start with everything set to nameless default moves that you can't preview, and everything else is locked. You have no choice as to what moves your guy has. Now, you get Style Points from every match in the game, so it's possible that if you played exhibition matches with your friends for a few days before starting a CAW Story, you'd have more options, but if you're looking to just jump into the structured story and start unlocking the entire TNA roster from the get go, disappointment lies ahead."

"you begin this story with your generic created player, and iMPACT! immediately tosses a bunch of computer generated CAWs your way. The good news? They all have the same moves as you! Oh, the parity!"

"Tag matches in iMPACT! aren't fun.

To begin with, the game pulls the camera back to show the entire ring and then just sits there. The camera cuts and interesting angles from the singles matches are gone. On top of this, the AI is dumb. I've had my own tag partner break up a move I was doing outside the ring, I've seen the opponent's partner attempt to walk from one side of the ring to where I was pinning his partner, I've lost matches because Eric refused to come in and help me when pinned, and I've pinned people in front of their partner -- literally inches away from them -- and watched as the illegal opponent did nothing."

"By the time you've worked your way though the X Division and to the main eventers, you'll find that you haven't unlocked a ton of moves. It might not seem like a lot, but when you start going up against Sting and Jeff Jarrett, you'll find your moves aren't doing much damage. These guys refuse to sell any move, pop up way too fast, and seem to drain their stun meter faster than I ever could. In one of my final Story matches, I lost to Sting even though I was the only one landing successful grapples. When the stats popped up, it was clear that I had trounced him in moves, strikes, and everything else except reversals. The cheap jackass had 11 reversals and had beaten me off that alone. Seriously, my entire torso was red because every time I'd go for a chokeslam, he'd reverse it and pull me on top of his knees.

Not being able to perform moves is not fun."

"While playing the PS3 version of iMPACT!, I saw heads dipping into the mat, hands going through opponents, and during a Kurt Angle match, a crotch stomp near the ropes teleported to the outside, mid-animation." (SvR also has issues with characters moving along on their own)

"TNA iMPACT! had a lot of potential, but it didn't follow through on most of it. Beyond the limited/repetitive moves, lackluster CAW, and scaled back online, my main problem is that iMPACT! doesn't feel like real wrestling. The opponents never stay down long enough, they don't sell limb damage, there's an announce table and announcer voices (which are super-repetitive), but no announcer bodies, there are no championship belts to wear or defend even though they're mentioned in the story, chairs are just sitting around the outside of the ring, there is no rope break, and every match is no count out/no DQ.

Don't get me wrong, the control scheme is solid as well as a throwback to the wrestling games of old (so it's sure to appeal to a lot of people) and the Ultimate X Match is fun and provides for some good looking spots, but overall TNA iMPACT! ends up being a shallow game. It's not going to take you long to see everything this title has to offer and start dreaming about the sequel."

I'm all quoted out now. :lol

Edited by DC
  • Heart 1

TNA Impact sucked donkey balls, so it really doesn't matter how it was reviewed. And the fact that it sold 440,000 copies is only going to hurt TNA 2, since that's 400,000 people who won't be buying it the next installment.

When you can get a game second hand from Blockbuster for £15 in the second week after it's initial release, it's not a good sign.

Guest MojoPogo

There is not doubt about it TNA was the biggest missed opportunity in years, it COULD and arguably should have been great, there was plenty of potential in the engine, but no, the ball was dropped harder than Samoa Joes credibility. The thing is, had it have been TOTAL crapola, I wouldnt have minded, but the fact is, some decent competition would have forced THQ to really raise their game with Smackdown......although 2010 is the best its been for a long time, there are still issues with it.

But then, you could say the game reflects the product its based on, messy, misguided and ultimately going nowhere.