Open Club  ·  37 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

Edge

Guest MillionLiraMan

Guest MillionLiraMan

Just wondering what opinion is on this guy, really. I'm not a mark for him by any means (I prefer Benoit, Angle and Jericho) but he seems to have a bright enough future in the WWE. Anyway while we all wait desperately for Big Show to shuffle out of the title picture I was wondering why, what with the huge pops he always seems to get, Edge isn't in the title picture as of yet. It could just be because he might be being kept for the future but do any of you have any thoughts?

I wondered if it was to do with his spear finisher being so poor (come on, it is despite cjr's injury!). I mean, you can see so many great moves over the course of a match, especially where Edge has been involved with Benoit, Angle, Mysterio y los Guerreros, and then it seems like a bit of a let-down when at the end of it all someone has to job to a move that's hardly technically excellent or would particularly hurt that much. Then again we were supposed to believe that a legdrop was the most devastating move ever for the best part of a decade so this can't be that important, can it?

What do you think?

It's a funny thing, me and my mates have argued this back and forth but after seeing him at Rebellion in October we were forced to admit that the guy just has some sort of star quality about him. He has a great presence and energy when he comes to the ring and rarely has he a dud match.

In fact, even though we knew the title wouldn't change hand, me and my mates were all on our feet when he got a two and half count on Brock during Rebellion: it just seemed so obvious that he was about to win.

So, two thumbs up for Edge.

:xyx :xyx

Plus his entrance theme rocks

Guest Rudi El Fire

Edge has had a fantastic year and has shown himself to be one of the most reliable workers on the roster. He never has a bad match, his promos are excellent and he can work with pretty much anyone.

Herein possibly lies the problem; Edge as a ring general and reliable, unselfish upper-midcarder has so much value in terms of building stars and main-eventers, putting the belt on him would leave no-one able to fill his shoes in the job he's doing now. He's also one of the best tag team wrestlers around; want a temporary superstar tag-team for one of your main-eventers? Pair him with Edge, and watch them go.

Edge is a legend in the making, and while he may one day lift the WWE title, it's as likely he'll be one of the unsung heroes who never wore the belt but was instrumental in making those who did great.

Come on, the spear's not that bad... and he has the Edgecution too.

Guest MillionLiraMan

I forgot about the Edgecution actually, but it's been a while since he finished anyone with that. Would that hurt much? Yes, but I think the part of having your tights wedged up to your crack would make your eyes water enough to make the actual having your head slammed into the ground like some sort of welcome release!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-Edge, I think he's doing a great job, but I just wondered why he wasn't being looked at for the title. Maybe he just doesn't have a foothold in the locker room politics right now to get him there (please move to Smackdown Jericho...!).

Edge seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle lately, being stuck in Tag Matches on Smackdown each week while not having a big feud with anyone. Hopefully he will be in the Rumble, and a strong performance there could rise his stock a little.

I'm not so keen on an Edge push to the very, very top. He can work all the ****1/2 matches in the world against guys like Benoit and Angle, but when you watch him work against a lesser wrestler or hear him on the mic, it's just like having "MIDCARDER FOR LIFE" tatooed on his forehead.

WWE had a huge opportunity to make Edge a big player- The tag team situation with Hogan. It wasn't rocket science to book: Edge gets fed up of Hogan waving the American flag, attacks him, instant main event heel heat. Not only does this guarentee him a great reaction (Edge's pops certainly seem to dwindle on PPVs, my guess is because there are bigger faces on Raw than on SD!), but his mic work is much better as a heel. When Edge tries to be "hip" as a face, it's enough to make you cringe. If he had to cut a serious promo as a heel, I'm sure he'd benefit from it.

Angle, Benoit, Brock, Edge, Eddie. Just about the very top of the card for SD!. And I think they all work best as heels. So I do accept that guys like Edge, who aren't in the same Heel League as the Angles or Eddies, should be face.

I think WWE has blown it now though. Edge isn't involved in a big enough feud to make a heel turn worthwhile. I'd love to see him work with Matt Hardy, and try to elevate him to Edge's current Upper-Midcarder/Part-Time Main Event status.

Oh, and Edge's spear is laughable compared to Rhyno's. As soon as Rhyno is back, Edge will need to go back to the Gangrel-Esque DDT.

Guest The Crippler
I think Edge just has to bide his time a little longer and he'll be there. He has all the qualities to make it and I'll be surprised if he doesn't have the WWE Championship around his waist in the next 3 years.

As much as Edge doesn't really excite me, if he's given the right final bit to his push I'd have nothing against him being world champion one day. I have to say I hope he doesnt end up being a midcarder for life, it wouldnt be fair in my eyes considering the reactions he gets.

Guest Tajiri
I've allways found Edge to be a talented worker, not Benoit/Angle good but still good enough to be of great use to the company, Its hard to say who'll get pushed, burried or stuck in the midcard in WWE because of the constant changes in writing staff and backstage pollitics which luckly for Edge SmackDown! has managed to stay clear of bar the Undertaker/Lesnar problems a few months back, looking at the Raw side of things you really can't see anyone in the midcard breaking into the main event. Edited by Tajiri

Guest Brother Kano

some interesting replies:)

I have 4 some time felt that edge deserved in the uper echelon of titan towers, I enjoyed his matches with angle and in my opinion they were the highlight of last year, his teaming with rey rey was cool,Edge's constant teaming with different partners has surprised after e+c broke up i felt that was it 4 Mr Copelands tag days(how wrong I was):(

He had a good run with the ic title banishing the memory of his 1day reign in 99 when he subbed for shamrock and then lost to Jarret at fully loaded - end of an era.feuding with pasty chest was ok but got stale at times.

i could go on.....

so come on Vince make the wise choice make the AWESOME choice.

Guest Anime Otaku
Edge is great and i am really confused as to why he hasn't had a title match in a PPV that matters! I think he should be well up there.