Open Club  ·  37 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

Best Royal Rumble sub-plots/suprises

Guest Rudi El Fire

Guest Rudi El Fire

The thread on WWE wanting to cut the Rumble time in half got me thinking; what does everyone consider to be the best sub-plots and twists to have been incorporated into the rumble over the years?

My favourites;

1992: Jake Roberts playing the perfect heel, punishing everyone in the ring but bricking it in the corner every time the horn goes in case the next entry turns out to be Randy Savage.. then when Savage does finally appear it's a real highspot. The pacing for this was perfect.

1992: Not so much a sub-plot, but I've got to mention Ric Flair.. not only one of the great performances, also possibly the best Rumble finish ever.

1998: Mick Foley's triple-entrance; The rumble that year, not to put too fine a point on it, stank. Cactus Jack, Mankind and Dude Love's appearances however were brilliant, and a great way of advancing the Three Faces Of Foley.

2001: Raven fills the ring with weapons, converting the match temporarily into a hardcore rumble.. nice! :D

2001: Drew Carey, having been tricked into taking part in the Rumble by evil Mr. McMahon, by fluke finds himself standing alone in the ring as the wrestlers around him eliminate each other. He looks pretty smug.. then out comes Kane looking bigger than ever, who makes a beautifully paced entrance, building up Carey's horrified reaction, right up to the point when Kane finally gets into the ring and Drew legs it over the top rope and down the aisle.

This just wouldn't have been the same if they had to cram it in under sixty seconds.

(no prizes for guessing which are my two favourite rumbles!)

Hmm, good question... I suppose my favourites that I can remember off the top of my head are...

1991: Warrior losing the belt to Sgt. Slaughter. Just sooo evil how it happened at the time, I loved when Savage hit Warrior with the funny glass King thing (I can't believe I've forgotten what you call them) and cost him the title. Brilliant shocking stuff at the time.

1992: Ric Flair winning it obviously. Just the fact that Hogan didn't win it. Made me very happy at the time.

1997: Austin mocking Jake Roberts by praying as Roberts is coming down the isle just makes me laugh so much, I have to mention it just because I loved it so much.

2001: Big Show's return. Sorry but I loved it. Just the way he came in, kicked ass and then chokeslammed Rock through the announce table. Simply loved it.

I think the one where Diesel eliminates absolutely everyone in sight is quite good, also I used to like the Roadogs tactics of clinging onto the bottom rope all the time, the best Rumble of all time has to be '92, when Flair lasts from number 4 to win it, Flairs antics and Heenans commentary mad that Rumble. It also contained the Savage/Roberts feud aswell.

I don't think they should reduce the Rumble to 30 Mins, usually now they have them at 45mins instead of 60 but the last time they had it at 30mins ('94 I think) it was just too short.

The '92 rumble was the easily the best rumble by miles. As rudi and KJ said from Jakes heel perfromance down to Flair winning coupled with Hennan's excellent commentary it was just a great rumble match. Shame all the matches before it sucked though. :xyx

Guest Rudi El Fire
The '92 rumble was the easily the best rumble by miles. As rudi and KJ said from Jakes heel perfromance down to Flair winning coupled with Hennan's excellent commentary it was just a great rumble match. Shame all the matches before it sucked though.

I don't know, the New Foundation vs. Orient Express opener was an excellent match.. apart from that, Mountie vs. Piper and LOD vs. Natural Disasters did pretty much what they said on the tin and the less said about the Bushwhackers vs. Beverly Brothers the better.

Oh, and don't forget the Shawn Michaels interview replete with footage of one of the great heel turns/angles in wrestling history which had taken place a week or so earlier.. Shawn's attack of Marty Jannetty in The Barber Shop (may not sound much, you have to see it to know why this angle was the dog's knackers)

Other high points of the best rumble match ever (2001 is my pick for best overal rumble show) include Davey Boy Smith eliminating the first few heel entrants before having the crap beaten out of him for quarter of an hour as the ring fills up with heels; Hulk Hogan finding himself slipping into tweener territory (the live crowd showed >far< more support for his supposed heel rival Sid Justice.. Hulkamania was wearing pretty thin at the time); Sergeant Slaughter being elimanated by Sid chucking him from corner to corner and over the ring post at frightening velocity; The Undertaker acting as policeman and dragging Savage kicking and screaming back into the match while the Macho Man was trying to carry on his attack on Jake Roberts after eliminating him.

Guest MillionLiraMan
Not a sub-plot but you have to love 92 with Flair winning from nuber 3 and lasting over an hour. Despite being a Warrior mark at the time (I feel worse admitting that than if I were an alcoholic for some reason) in any case I was never a fan of Hogan and frankly I was just desperate for someone to stop him from winning it because I think I can't have been the only one who had had enough of him by that time. Bobby Heenan on the mike put us through every emotion going that night and the scenes at the end were fantastic. It was the best ending possible because while I didn't like Hogan it was also good that Sid didn't win it!

Guest MillionLiraMan
Simon has a good point about 1991 as well though, Warrior losing the belt as a sub-plot to another Hogan posedown was definitely a memorable moment. As there would inevitably be a resultant Warrior-Savage feud it left the title situation in a poor state given that obviously Hogan was going to grab it again, but there was also the horrid possibility that if that wasn't going to happen the next in the pecking order of faces at the time was Jim Duggan, and with Slaughter at the helm you couldn't rule out the idea of him winning it! Surely that would have killed the WWF stone dead there and then had that happened.

1992: Just Flair winning was brilliant.

1994: Diesel on his own in the ring for about 5 minutes because he eliminated people as soon as they came in. Then HBK coming in, his supposed partner, and ruining it all by wasting time talking to him!

1995: Shawn and Bulldog- first two, last two. I thought it was brilliant. On a less important note, Bushwhackers and Mo of MOM being eliminated in like 3 seconds by HBK was hilarious.

1996: A personal note here, but me and my brother were watching this and I made a comment that I liked Ringmaster (Austin) and my bro said he liked Hunter Hearst Helmsley- before we both decided that neither of them would do anything. (!!)

Vader destroying everyone in sight. I also really liked the finish to this, with Diesel turning around just to be hit by Chin Music. Class.

1998: Chainsaw Charlie and Cactus Jack allowing each other to be hit with a chair whilst having a bin over their heads is probably the best Rumble moment ever....hilarious!

2000: Without a doubt my favourite Rumble as a PPV, I thought it was exceptional. Tazz's debut, first table match...and of course the HHH-Cactus Jack Streetfight which ranks as the best match I have ever seen.

2002: The highlights for me here were Maven eliminating Undertaker with a dropkick and a Spinaroony mid-Rumble. Lol.

Guest AJ_Styles

91-I liked it Shane Dougles lasting over 20 mins LOD&Demolition going at it

92-Best RUmble Ever Ric Flair winning it Heenan on the mic good stuff

93-Yokozuna I liked it at 1 point 7 guys teamed up to try and get him over they still couldnt do it

98-3 Faces of Foley was cool and Rock came in at #4 and was the last man Elimanated plus the Casket match HBK vs Taker was good

00-Good Show Could have done with out Mae Young Stripping I would have rather Watched BB strip :=D

02-What made this Rumble good was Mr Perfect being in the FInal 3