Fan Clubs

RIP Lance Cade

Dead Crow

I am extremely sad to confirm that Lance McNaught, who was one of Shawn Michaels' first wrestling students and worked for WWE under the ring name Lance Cade, has passed away at the age of only 29 years old. We are still working on further details at this time.

Cade was part of the original class of students trained by Shawn Michaels and Rudy Boy Gonzales at Michaels' Wrestling Academy in San Antonio, Texas, a class that also included Bryan Danielson and Brian Kendrick. Due to his lanky frame and athletic ability, there were comparisons to a young Barry Windham. Cade was immediately signed to WWF developmental after a few appearances for FMW in Japan and went through OVW and HWA.

Cade was brought to the main roster in 2003 to form a team with Mark Jindrak (now Lucha Libre USA's Marco Corleone), going as far as to work the Wrestlemania XX card as Jindrak's partner. Cade was eventually sent back to developmental and returned as Trevor Murdoch's partner. That team clicked a little better and eventually had a WWE Tag Team championship run.

Cade's most prominent run in WWE was as a second to Chris Jericho during Jericho's excellent feud against Shawn Michaels. In the midst of that run, however, he was released from the company after an incident on an airplane where Cade took too many painkillers and went into a seizure. The plane had to be diverted in order to save his life and WWE opted to release him.

The company eventually brought Cade back and had him under a contract for about a year, but released him without doing anything. At the time, Cade claimed in an interview with me that the company let him go because he asked for help due to personal issues he was having stemming from addictions to sleeping pills that he began using to deal with pain while getting himself clean. WWE did send him to rehab but Cade claimed at the time that it was unfair he was released "because" he reached out for help when that's what the Wellness Policy is there for. Sources within WWE, both management and wrestlers who worked with Cade at the time, scoffed at the claim privately.

Cade worked for independents and Japanese dates after his release.

Sadly, he leaves behind two young daughters.

On behalf of everyone associated with PWInsider.com, I'd like to express our deepest condolences to Lance's family and friends at this time.

Credit: PWSpyware.

RIP Lance. 29 is no age at all.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rikidozan
The cause of death will be very interesting indeed. Can we add another one to the 'drugs and pills' list? If so, the guy was 29, so WWE's response will be interesting, I assume it'll be the generic corporate statement released.

Guest Sparrow

R.I.P Cade.

What a waste :( Such a good tag team was the Redneck Wrecking Crew. (What they called themselves) He seemed like he had talent.

29 is no age to die. :(

He also leaves behind two daughters. My thoughts and prayers are with them two girls who have lost their father.

I assume it'll be the generic corporate statement released.

Is this really the time to be posting something like this?

Maybe it is just me but this seems not needed ..

Edited by Sparrow

The cause of death will be very interesting indeed. Can we add another one to the 'drugs and pills' list? If so, the guy was 29, so WWE's response will be interesting, I assume it'll be the generic corporate statement released.

Actually, I imagine they'll lay claim to his murder, throw in a couple of lol's and attach an audio clip of Vince McMahon cackling as he pisses over his corpse.

Really, what do you want WWE to say? Hopefully they'll just do the same as they did with Umaga. We saw a problem, we tried to help him, we let him go and he went and did something stupid, the muppet.

Guest Rikidozan

Sparrow, I understand what you mean, and why you're saying it...but surely by now, after all the corpses that litter the bussiness as a result of ODs etc etc etc, sentiment isn't really what's needed. It's ok to be sad in a situation like this, but being sad alone won't change the drug-death issue in pro wrestling. WWE at the very least somewhy has a responsibilty for all those countless deaths. Not just WWE mind; the nature of wrestling means that pain pill abuse will be always been around, it's just a question of to what degree/extent.

Mitchell, what do I expect WWE to do?...hmm, I don't know, maybe comprehensive health insurance?! Maybe treating their wrestlers like employees, instead of the comtemptible "independent contractor" nonsense. Oh, and a pension plan would be a great help too. The worst thing fans can do when another guy dies from a drug-related death is to only offer sympathy, and ignore the real actual issues. I shocks me that years after Beyond The Mat, and Wrestling With Shadows, some fans couldn't care less about wrestlers being actual humans who aren't supermen (Note: that wasn't a rant against anyone in paticular, it was aimed to be more general)

Edited by Rikidozan

Guest Springsteen
Jim Ross posted the following on Twitter @JRsBBQ:

"Multiple sources have reported that Lance Cade passed away a few hours ago of heart failure. Our condolences go out to his family & friends"

NoDQ.com

Guest The Beltster

Sad for his daughters indeed. Awful. Wasnt there quite a few reports of him being drugged up and having a fit on a plane or something a while back?

Will people ever learn?

Guest Rikidozan
Heart failure...great, just as I suspected. And 29 freaking years old. It's Art Barr and Louie Spicolli all over again.

Guest The Beltster
I shocks me that years after Beyond The Mat, and Wrestling With Shadows, some fans couldn't care less about wrestlers being actual humans who aren't supermen.
They are also grown up men and women who make the choice to take the substances they take. It's not a matter of not caring about them, but they are adults, they should know better. They deserve sympathy for making poor personal choices? They only have themselves to blame.

You can blame Vince, WWE's schedule or any number of other things, but there are ALOT of older guys who worked a much harder schedule than Lance Cade who are still alive and well and in some cases even still working. There are guys who chose not to take drugs because regardless of what anybody says, you dont NEED to take them to cope on the road or on WWE's schedule and if you believe you do, you go and get a different job or give TNA a call.

It might be a bit of confirmation bias but WWE seem to have an uncanny ability for spotting those who might be likely to die soon. Of the top of my head I think Test, Cade, Umaga, Mr Perfect and Crash Holly passed away relatively soon after a release from WWE.

Guest Rikidozan

Beltster...we're going to royally disagree here:)

How can you (or anyone) argue that all these deaths didn't happen because WWE and pro wrestling has never offered health insurance or a pension plan? C'mon man, that's just a simple notion to agree with. When guys drop dead of a heart attack before 50...well, 40...well, 30, then I think it's safe to say there's a problem with the bussiness. Ask yourself this...would all those guys have died when heart attacks, heart failure, brain problems if the industry offered health insurance/pension plan as stardard?

It's true individuals make individual choices, but that just seems like a cop-out for the bussiness not taking responsabilty for it's own. Also, it's not just one reason for all these deaths, it a bunch of things. If WWE, or any company hires a worker, surely the company has an obligation to look after their health.

An unintentionally comical moment from this whole issue came with Linda McMahon; when asked during an interview about wrestlers' health, she responded with words to the effect of "we take care of anyone injured in the ring"...wow! how nice of them!

Umm, surely the whole chance of getting injured is something that wrestlers know about when they make the choice to become wrestlers? They don't HAVE to go into the business. It's not like they go into it not knowing what could happen, injury wise, is it? And as for heart attacks and other drug related deaths, not exactly the business's fault again is it? They made a choice to take the drugs - they can suffer the consequences (harsh but I feel very valid). Edited by Nimf

Guest Rikidozan
Nimf, my point is, surely once on the company pay-roll, a guy's health should be taken care of by said company. Again, i'll make the point; having health insurance and a pension plan would greatly reduce the dead-list that infests the industry. Pain-pill abuse will always be around in some form- wrestling is a very phsical sport, add that with being on the road, and no off-season, and you have a recipe for needless health issues but that doesn't mean the bussiness can wash it's hands of the whole issue.

Guest The Beltster
Beltster...we're going to royally disagree here:)

How can you (or anyone) argue that all these deaths didn't happen because WWE and pro wrestling has never offered health insurance or a pension plan? C'mon man, that's just a simple notion to agree with. When guys drop dead of a heart attack before 50...well, 40...well, 30, then I think it's safe to say there's a problem with the bussiness. Ask yourself this...would all those guys have died when heart attacks, heart failure, brain problems if the industry offered health insurance/pension plan as stardard?

I'm not arguing that these things happened because WWE have never offered health insurance or a pension, they happen because wrestlers get hurt and start taking pills, or they simply just like to get high to they snort coke and mix it with booze and drown in their own puke.

There is a problem with the business: the wrestlers attitudes. If the problem was the business, everybody who worked in it wold be dead. Do you really think that if WWE offered a pension or health insurance, wrestlers wouldnt go out drinking, popping pills and snorting coke? Open your eyes mate, alot of them do it because they enjoy it, no different than regular people who go down town on Saturday night and get all f*cked up.

And to be fair to McMahon, he pays for all the surgery's his wrestlers need, he has a drug plan in place to help the guys (even guys who dont work for him anymore!), he allows his wrestlers the time off they need when they are hurt so they dont come back too early, they continue to get paid their full downside plus any and all merchandise royalties and so on. This isnt 1985 where if you are hurt, you dont get paid and you lose your spot so you rush back and get hurt more, get addicted to pills and gas yourself to the gills so your muscles recover faster etc. Also, the schedule is SO much easier now than it was in the 80's and more guys now are dropping dead than ever.

It's true individuals make individual choices, but that just seems like a cop-out for the bussiness not taking responsabilty for it's own. Also, it's not just one reason for all these deaths, it a bunch of things. If WWE, or any company hires a worker, surely the company has an obligation to look after their health.
I think wrestling takes more responsibility now than it did in the past, yet still more guys now are dying than when they had no drug plan, harder schedule and so on. I do agree that they have a responsibility to look after their own, but dont you think these grown adults have a responsibility to look after themselves and act like rational grown human beings and think "you know what, maybe I should stop popping all these pills and grow up!"

It goes both ways and WWE are doing their part, the wrestlers need to do theirs also.

Health insurance would obviously help but lets be honest and say it would make no difference to guys like Eddie, Cade, Bulldog, Crash, Umaga etc etc who all died because of addictions catching up with them.

How would health insurance or a pension plan helped any of those guys? Would it have got them off their addictions? If they were crippled and needed them then fair enough but they weren't. They might have had problems but so do loads of guys and if it was that much of a problem there are plenty of people they can ask for advice.

I seriously don't get how health insurance or a pension plan would get them off taking pain pills and over using recreational drugs? As Belty said it's down to their attitudes. If you want help and think you have a problem you get help. Even Eddie who knew he had an addiction was still roiding himself up, right up to the day he died. Would health insurance or a pension plan stopped that?

It's attitudes all round from body perception to wrestlers losing grip on reality, which is the main problem. They should have health insurance, but if you think it would make any difference to these guys dying, you're living in fantasy land.

• Join the early access

Members are able to join clubs and participate in the forums.

• Latest Club Activity