Fan Clubs

WWE Night of Champions Discussion Thread - September 19, 2010 from Chicago

TPIB

The fourth annual WWE Night of Champions will come to you, live on pay-per-view, on September 19 from the Allstate Arena in Chicago, IL.

http://www.talkwrestlingonline.com/images/posters/noc2010.jpg

Confirmed Matches/Events

WWE Championship: Six Pack Elimination Match:

Sheamus © Vs. John Cena Vs. Randy Orton Vs. Edge Vs. Chris Jericho Vs. Wade Barrett

World Heavyweight Championship: No Holds Barred:

Kane © Vs. The Undertaker

Intercontinental Championship: Title Changes Hands On A DQ or Count-Out:

Dolph Ziggler © Vs. Kofi Kingston

United States Championship:

The Miz © Vs. Daniel Bryan

CM Punk Vs. Big Show

Women's & Divas Title Unification Lumberjack Match:

Michelle McCool © Vs. Melina ©

WWE Tag Team Championship:

The Hart Dynasty © Vs. Drew McIntyre & "Dashing" Cody Rhodes

Edited by TPIB

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest video767

So since I did good with this for SummerSlam, I think I'll try to take it further and predict the entire card for this time around. One match for each championchip.

WWE - I think this one is obvious, it will be Sheamus vs. Orton. I'm betting this will be a No DQ match, too.

World Heavyweight Championship - In what is another obvious one, I predict that Kane wil defend his title against The Undertaker.

Tag Team - This might be going out on a limb, but I think that a couple of the members from the SES will challenge the Hart Dynasty here. I'm happy we now have "old school" tag team belts again.

Intercontinental - It's been over a year since we've seen a "scramble match" (or as I prefer to call it, a Six Pack Challenge). I think with all of the young talent on SmackDown, now is the time. I'm thinking that Dolph Ziggler will defend his title against Kofi Kingston, Alberto Del Rio, Rhodes, McIntyre and Christian.

United States - Call me crazy, but I'm betting on The Miz losing his title to Evan Bourne before this PPV. That's why prediction is Bourne vs. DiBiase (w/Maryse) for this match.

Women's - I sense that they may be looking to unify the seperate diva belts the way they did the tag teams. But assuming they don't, I think Layla will defend against Kelly Kelly once again.

Diva's - I'm thinking Melina will defend her title in a triple threat match against Alicia Fox and Eve.

And yes, I made a card that does not include John Cena, Edge, Jericho, Nexus, Jack Swagger or MVP.

Edited by video767

Intercontinental - It's been over a year since we've seen a "scramble match" (or as I prefer to call it, a Six Pack Challenge). I think with all of the young talent on SmackDown, now is the time. I'm thinking that Dolph Ziggler will defend his title against Kofi Kingston, Alberto Del Rio, Rhodes, McIntyre and Christian.
A 6-Pack Challenge Match and a Scramble Match are two entirely different stipulations. Besides, WWE Scramble Matches have five wrestlers, not six. :P

Guest video767

^Haha, so I feel like a total dummy now. ;D But thanks for correcting me, man. I just saw the term "Six Pack Challenge" on a pay per view card from 1999, and wrongly assumed it meant a 6-man match.

As for me getting Scramble matches wrong, that I should know because they've actually held them since I started watching the WWE.

Guest aroz93

While I'm not a fan of gimmick PPVs in general, I do like Night of Champions. It's a gimmick PPV that doesn't really feel too gimmicky, at least in my opinion it doesn't.

With that said, this PPV style would be the perfect opportunity to use the scramble match again, which video mentioned the possibility of. However, I highly doubt that will happen. Right now, almost all of the of the current champions are in some sort of rivalry or angle, which practically eliminates the option of a scramble match. Anyways, video's post got me thinking and now here are my predictions for Night of Champions:

As video said, the world title matches are obvious, Sheamus vs Orton and Kane vs Taker.

US title match will most likely be Miz vs Bryan.

IC title is gonna be another Kingston vs Ziggler match, and I'll go out on a limb and say this will be a cage match due to there being interference in every other match they've had so far.

The tag titles seem a little foggy at this point. If there were more teams in the (almost nonexistent) tag team division I would say a tag team scramble match, or at least some sort of multi-team match. Instead, I'm gonna agree with video and say SES vs Hart Dynasty. However, I wouldn't count out Archer and Ryder as a possibility.

For the Women's title match, I'm going to predict McCool vs Layla, courtesy of Teddy Long.

Finally, the Divas title. If there is going to be a scramble match at Night of Champions, this will be it. With Raw having the majority of Divas, this could work really well. Despite this, I think the Divas championship match will just be Alicia Fox cashing in her rematch clause (unless she already has on Raw, I usually skip over the Divas matches).

The WWE Championship match will be announced on the RAW Taping today.

The RAW Main Event is a Six Pack Challenge with Sheamus, Randy Orton, Wade Barrett, John Cena, Edge & Chris Jericho.

Apparently, they are doing, what I consider, a good move as it was announced on RAW that either Michelle McCool or Layla will face Melina in a Lumberjack Match to unify the Women's & Divas Titles at Night of Champions.

I personally think it is a smart idea to unify the two titles for the same reason I was for the tag titles getting unified; given how dense the division is, it is a good idea to just have one champion represent and defend on both brands.

Guest Jayfunk
Apparently, they are doing, what I consider, a good move as it was announced on RAW that either Michelle McCool or Layla will face Melina in a Lumberjack Match to unify the Women's & Divas Titles at Night of Champions.

I personally think it is a smart idea to unify the two titles for the same reason I was for the tag titles getting unified; given how dense the division is, it is a good idea to just have one champion represent and defend on both brands.

I think that would be a good Idea and one they can building on. The first step to have meaningful titles again will be unifying the redundant ones such as the DIVA's/Women, IC/US and World/WWE.

Although what I would do is have one world champion. Rename the IC belt the RAW championship and the US title to the Smackdown Championship having the top guys fight for thoses belts on a weekly bases and have a World Champion which goes from show to show.

The Raw and Smackdown titles would then mean something can could lead to shots at the world champion much like the IC/US belts of old used to do before they became meaningless.

The World Champion could be like the NWA champions of hold fighting regional or show champions and makes a world title match something special not just a TV main event

Guest Dante Spears

Rename the IC belt the RAW championship and the US title to the Smackdown Championship having the top guys fight for thoses belts on a weekly bases

That's...an utterly horrible idea.

Guest Jayfunk
The whole point would be to make the titles mean something and have then part of the show and the company, at the moment they don't they might as well not exist

Guest Dante Spears

And naming them the RAW and Smackdown championship and treating them like the TV title would be the way to make them prestigious?

That would brutally murder anything related to prestige with the titles. First of all you're telling us Taking two titles that have existed for over 40 years and creating shallow knock offs that are massed produced from the WWE Brand would make them more important. Secondly defending on a weekly basis is never a good idea because it devalues the idea of a title match.

Guest Jayfunk
And naming them the RAW and Smackdown championship and treating them like the TV title would be the way to make them prestigious?

That would brutally murder anything related to prestige with the titles. First of all you're telling us Taking two titles that have existed for over 40 years and creating shallow knock offs that are massed produced from the WWE Brand would make them more important. Secondly defending on a weekly basis is never a good idea because it devalues the idea of a title match.

Firstly the IC and US titles are meaningless, so any change wouldn't be a bad thing.

Secondly I used Raw and Smackdown titles as an example you could if you like call them IC and US as long as its very clear that IC is the Raw Champion and The Smackdown Champion.

The people holding the titles would me more like Cena and Edge than Drew and Miz which will put the titles on higher people would give them more creditability and everyone on each show would want those belts in order to face THE WORLD CHAMPION making him lothy and thus making the Titles that help to build stars, much like the money in a back stuff but less predictable and bring back what the IC title was about

Edited by Jayfunk

Guest Dante Spears
First of all there's a difference between meaningless and not as meaningful as they once were. Times have changed, the IC/US title being for the upper card is dead. The mid carders need something to elevate them and the titles work for that. At this point in his career what really does someone like Edge need with another US title reign?

Guest Jayfunk

It would all depend on how you book it, but these were mainly examples.

In terms of the US/IC as they don't mean anything they can't elevate them that much MITB does a better job at that.

WWE needs to change its policy with titles as does TNA they don't work and add nothing to the history or importance of there titles, its a shame as it could easily be fixed

EDIT: Also having a champion of raw and smackdown is no different from what we have now with the WWE and World title aside from the fact we have no TOP GUY in the company at least this give the titles roles and make the world title with worth so much more.

EDIT2: :lol I like us debating an idea which has no chance to actually being actioned

Edited by Jayfunk

To take it back to the Women's & Divas Title Unification Match, when they announced it, I thought it was going to be a Handicap Match, but apparently, either Layla or Michelle McCool will face Melina in a one-on-one match.

With that said, I imagine we will see either Layla or McCool winning and then one of them will be the Divas Champion and the other will be the Women's Champion.

On an interesting (to me) side-note, I have the Night of Champions wallpaper set as my wallpaper and I noticed something about it. Just to the right of the "shine" on the World Heavyweight Title, a chunk of the belt is missing and the "E" in Kane looks like an "F" :lol It is not that way on the poster, but it is on the wallpaper for some reason.

Guest Sean Johnson

The idea behind the midcard belts is to give a boost to midcard guys, but the problem is the belts have lost their value. If they give the belt to a proven star, albeit temporarily, it gives the title more value. If they gave the belt to an Edge or a Jericho, imagine how over someone like Evan Bourne would be winning a belt off of one of those guys.

Similar to what they did with the tag belts with Jeri-Show and Show-Miz, then they dropped them to the Hart Dynasty. Gave a boost to the titles as well as the Harts. Now without a real tag division, it probably won't last, but what they did worked.