Fan Clubs

The Review Thread

Guest Dave7g

I thought we might have a thread for any reviews of new games you might find, scores etc. And have a nice chat about them. I'll start shall I?

Spiderman - Shattered Dimensions. 8/10

[YOUTUBE]n6_awogRJCU[/YOUTUBE]

Not too excited about this one, the first person punching looks really bad.

Guest The Beltster

I've had the game for a couple weeks and finished it, its a good game. Not Batman Arkam Asylum good, but far better than any other Spiderman game I've ever played, especially the stealth missions. The FP punching is such a minute part of the game, you might do it for like 30 seconds per level.

I'd agree with 8/10 for a score, 7 at worst.

Edited by The Beltster

Borderlands - The game is, frankly, a bit short. So short in fact, that it's virtually impossible to hit the level cap on the first playthrough. That, combined with a terrible ending, isn't a terrific start. The missions are typically very straight forward (quite a lot of "go here, kill ten pigs" type of missions). As an FPS, I suppose you could say it contains quite a lot of RPG. But as an RPG, it falls massively short.

The much-touted weapons system, while interesting initially, basically boils down to Shotgun, sniper rifle, assault rifle, sub-machine gun, rocket launcher, auto pistol, revolver and alien weapons. Each of these categories weapons can have one of 4 "elemental" effects, namely fire, acid, explosive or shock.

While that's a lot of variety for an FPS, it's not exactly what it was made it out to be. It's further hampered by having only four quick change weapons slots, meaning you may have to visit your inventory quite often (good luck doing this while in combat), as some foes are immune to specific element types, and they aren't grouped by region. So, in a single mob, you can have an opponent immune to corrosive damage, and another immune to fire damage. This almost negates the point of the element system entirely, because for reliable results, non-elemental weapons are the way to go.

Despite that, as an FPS, with some roleplaying elements, it does work. The split screen co-op is fun and the core reason I got the game, and the DLC does add a lot of life to the game for the price. It's a pity about the missions (quests) being so simplistic, the lack of overall depth to the RPG element, and the relative length of the game (mitigated by both the DLC and the fact the game has four classes which play very differently). But if you take it as an FPS with some cool powers and unique guns (which is how you should treat it. Oblivion or Fallout3 are much better choices for RPG), then it's better than fine. And with it's support for splitscreen, it will have a place on my shelf for a long time.

Overall, I'd say 7/10.

I'd go with most of that, but it's more of an 8 to me. I loved it long time, collecting loot is very nice. It did get repetitive fast though but still for an original IP, it was great. More sequels please.

Halo Reach - 9.5/10

[YOUTUBE]iXmS6i_g4Zs[/YOUTUBE]

That's a spicy meatball. I can't stand Halo online though, it's populated by the worst kind of people. I would go for the single player though.

Guest The Beltster

Halo Reach is good, I finished it and decided to play Halo 3 afterwards...no good. Once you've played Reach, Halo 3 is shit!

I wouldnt give it 9.5/10 though.

Yeah I used to hate that, when magazines gave a game 10/10 and a month later started criticising the sh*t out of the game.

I always felt a bit let down by the magazine in the end.

GTA 4 was getting 10's all over the place when it came out, then it was getting panned, then a year later it was being heralded once again. Games are weird, they are more subjective than you might think.

Guest The Beltster
For me, GTAIV wasnt as good as San Andreas. Obviously visually it blows it away, but character wise, story wise and overall, San Andreas is the peak of the GTA games for me.

Agreed, San Andreas pisses all over GTA4 in every respect but the visuals, and to be honest, I've never really got the obsession with graphics. Take racing games, who gives a shit if it looks stunning, but the cars handle like bricks?

Then again, I'm hard pressed to see the difference between hi-def and stanard def widescreen. Sure, on a theater screen, or 2 inches away from a 40-inch screen, but in how you actually use it under normal circumstances? No chance.

Guest Anime Otaku
I think GTA:SA was horribly bloated, the other GTA3 engine games were good though. For me though the series was surpassed in terms of fun factor by the Saints Row games and storytelling by Mafia 2.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MojoPogo

Fangtastic! Bad puns aside, the new Castlevania has gotten an excellent review, see below.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=266613?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

As a long term fan of the series (I've played all except Dracula X on PC Engine), I cannot tell you how much this pleases me, particularly as the previous attempts at 3D, have fell flatter than Keira Knightley's chest.