Open Club  ·  37 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

Benoit and Eddie - it's never going to happen is it?

Guest MillionLiraMan

Guest MillionLiraMan

Yup, I'm bored and the fridge is too far away for an alternative solution to posting another 'what do you lot think?' type thread! Don't expect it to be the last either!

With this being the day of the Rumble I thought that it might be nice to focus on Benoit and Eddie, since they seem to heading towards the wilderness as far as the next few months are planned. The thing is, these two guys are up there with Angle, Bret Hart, Hennig and all the technical greats who've been at forefront of the WWF/WWE since I can remember watching it.

The thing I wanted to ask in any case is, do you think Benoit or Eddie will ever get a title run? Personally I think Benoit's moment has gone if it was ever going to happen, and Eddie looks even further out of the picture than the Rabid Wolverine.

I think this would be a crying shame if these two went the same way as Hennig, DiBiase, Jake Roberts and Roddy Piper among others and never got the big one when they contribute so much and have a lot more in-ring ability than current headliners like Undertaker, Rock, Triple H, Austin, HBK and even Hogan who can all pretty much hog the titles for themselves without question. I know that those others I've just mentioned are more entertainment based than just about wrestling, but surely Eddie comes into that category as well even if Benoit's attraction is mostly due to his awesome technical ability.

On Smackdown! right now we should have Angle against Lesnar for Wrestlemania, so we can't complain about those two getting the spotlight. I think every possible way to praise a guy has been done with regards to Angle and since he cam into WWE Lesnar has been the best thing I've seen for a while.

My reason for making this point is that surely after the Rumble Benoit will be out of the picture and after Wrestlemania, surely The Rock or Austin will return to the title fold, or Undertaker will come back for it, for goodness sake please let it not be Hogan, but whatever I very much doubt that we'll see Benoit or Eddie in the title equation for a long time, if at all, since out of the upper mid-card bracket Edge would if anyone probably start to get the elevation which you would have to say wouldn't be undeserved.

Do any of you think Benoit or Eddie will get their recognition? I doubt it, but I'd love to be wrong.

Edited by MillionLiraMan

It comes down to size and promo skills really.

If Benoit and Eddie were 6'3, 560lbs + and had better promo skills they'd be getting countless chances at main event spots, as it is Vince McMahon still lives in his own little world of guys only over 240lbs and 6'3 can draw, the reason Vince choose to remove Matt Hardy from the Rey Injury angle last year was because he felt the public wanted to see Albert and not Matt, the problem is last year when Vince in Mr McMahon heel mode cut the promo on Hogan about how he knows what WWE fans want better than they do is that he really does think that. The only reason that Michaels and Bret Hart got as far as they did was the need for WWE to stop pushing roid beasts during and after the steriod trial in the mid 90's, by 96 everything had died down and with WCW pushing there own roid monsters Vince went back to big guys with smaller guys being bit part players on the undercard.

As for the promo skills side of things, 10 years ago if a guy had poor mic skills they gave him a manager to do the talking, its not rocket science, how different would WWE be if in 87 Vince had told Andre he isn't a good talker so he's out of the match with Hogan at Mania 3 insted of just putting Heenan with him.

Guest The Legend

I just see it like this, a wrestler isn't always one of the greats just cause he had a title run. Let me just see some of the Legends that didn't get a title run, Jimmy Snuka, Ricky Steamboat, Chris Benoit, Owen Hart, just to name a few. But when it comes down to it, the people that are given the title runs are the people taht make the most money for WWF/E. Because what the Undertaker, The Rock, and even Hogan himself lag in the ring, they make up for the way they produce their character on the mic, and as a whole.

I mean no offense to Benoit or any of those guys, but there were never have been a huge wrestling splurge in the 80s without Hulk Hogan and all of the Hulkimaniacs.

I feel for Benoit and Eddie, but I still believe they should have a great career even if they don't win the main title.

Guest MillionLiraMan

I see your point Legybaby, if I may call you that :D but I just thought that, as Kurt Angle said on WWE.com when he got the belt at Armageddon, it shows that the company rates you as one of their top guys. I think you made an excellent point as well by mentioning Jimmy Snuka, who does have some recognition in the form of his Hall of Fame spot.

If you look back to one specific case though, that of Ted DiBiase, the guy was awesome on the mic, more so than he was good in the ring (not that he was bad, mind you). Yet he never got the title, and although he was supposed to win WM IV until Savage had to be placated with the belt since he wasn't getting the IC title, the fact remains that he didn't receive what would just have been a nice touch of appreciation for what he was doing for the WWF at the time. So one of the greats didn't get the belt basically because his title run had to go to Savage becuase Honky Tonk refused to job the IC belt to him (saving himself for the prestigious honour of a ridiculous Warrior squash match for that one). Obviously Savage deserved recognition, but my point is that with the Hogan limelight thing DiBiase wasn't getting another chance.

Nowadays it's the same. I appreciate that there is some opinion that Benoit and Eddie maybe wouldn't draw. But how can you know without some sort of run-out? PPVs are on every month now, not like the old days of four a year, so if it didn't work out it wouldn't be too long to wait tho change things back again. If Big Show can get the belt, why not Benoit. Actually by that comparison, why not Funaki?!

I know what you mean though, and you have a fair point. I just thought that giving them the belt would maybe signify that extra vote of confidence in them and acknowledgement of their efforts.

Anyone think any different?

Guest Rudi El Fire

I think to say only the name titleholders like Hogan, Undi, Brock etc. make the money misses the point somewhat.

Would Michael Owen be such a succesful and bankable footballer without the quality midfielders and playmakers he relies on to get the ball up the field? Would Tony Blair have achieved his stranglehold on British politics without Micheal Portillo, Alistair Campbell and the rest of his spin machine to plan his campaigns? And would Hulk Hogan have been the most bankable wrestler of the eighties without the Ted Dibiases, Randy Savages, Paul Orndorfs, Roddy Pipers and Greg Valentines who made him look good?

Wrestling titles are promotional devices, nothing more, and the best workers openly acknowledge that. Mick Foley compared the WWE title to winning an academy award; The Rock, who has never had a problem losing big matches if it's right for the company, and who's career has suffered not one bit as a result, said pretty much the same.

Not everyone can be the star face; the reality is that intangible character qualities, not wrestling abilities, make the star characters. The Rock has his angular comic book appearance and larger-than-life persona to match, Hulk Hogan in his prime had a similar superhero larger-than-life charisma. Stone Cold Steve Austin has the appearance, the gimmick and the glint in his eye to tie it all together. As with any figurehead, the purpose of a wrestling champion is to present a public face for the company which will make casual viewers look closer to see the actual wrestling on offer. But all this is for nought without talent, both in the ring and backstage, who put together the depth and quality of the show on offer, because if that's not there, your figurehead champion is going to look poor whatever you do.

Gimmickry is not a bad thing; empty gimmickry with nothing to back it up is.

Edited by Rudi El Fire

Guest The Crippler

Its not looking great really for Benoit and Eddie. I've a nasty feeling that Vince is going to get Goldberg in time for Wrestlemania and I pray to god they put him on Raw. With Taker coming back and Rock and Austin it could well be the same old guys getting the title.

It would be a crying shame if neither of those two held the title. I know for sure if Benoit had the mic skills he would have held the championship at least once by now. Him and Kurt Angle are the two greatest wrestlers the WWE have ever had in terms of skills and I include Bret Hart in that list. As for Eddie, god knows where he is going. He has never main evented a WWE PPV and while he is with Chavo (a good wrestler admittedly), he isn't gonna be close to main eventing.

I'd say it looks far worse for Eddie than it does for Benoit. They are both in the right environment in the shape of the more wrestling orientated Smackdown, which gives them hope always in my eyes, since they are obviously both so damn good at it.

Eddie's pretty much screwed in my eyes just because he's in a tag team now, and a tag team that's doing very well. Chances are, and as harsh as it sounds, he's taken a big step down the card in giving us such an entertaining tag team :(

As for Benoit, I don't think he's screwed. I can still see him ONE day lifting the Smackdown title. He's continued to impress, and I reckon by the end of 2003 he'll have been in a few more main events.

Guest MillionLiraMan
Originally posted by The Crippler

Its not looking great really for Benoit and Eddie. I've a nasty feeling that Vince is going to get Goldberg in time for Wrestlemania and I pray to god they put him on Raw. With Taker coming back and Rock and Austin it could well be the same old guys getting the title.

That was what I was trying to say without the waffle and over-worded padding! The point isn't that guys like The Rock and Austin shouldn't be at the top end of the scale, just that it would be nice for things to be mixed up a little bit. Surely people would perhaps get more interesting for the fans to see Benoit given even just a month with the belt, or Eddie have some time as champ rather than Triple H, Austin, Undertaker or whoever win for the umpteenth time and keep it in among the old tired line-up of big-shots, even if it was just for a while.

This could go a fair way to explaining falling ratings, and why Brock is now everyone's favourite so quickly as he is the only new guy with any clout to be able to claim the belt. Casual fans see Triple H on Raw, or people talking about The Rock and Austin coming back, and they've seen it before, enough to persuade them that it's not worth their while to watch the same WWE churn-out. We need there to be a shake-up to get interest going again.

Go on Vince. Actually SURPRISE us for once!

To be honest, as much I'd like Benoit or Eddie to receive a major title, the very fact that they're employed by the biggest fed in the world and we (I'm referring to the Brits here who don't get NWATNA or RoH or anything else except on tape) get to see their 4*+ performances week-in week-out is enough for me.

The ironic thing is the big man rule, seems to only matter to Vince now, as made obvious by watching the royal rumble.

rey jr, jericho and edge early rumble action= hot crowd

batista,kane, taker, brock, a-train end of the rumble= silence

steiner v trips brawling= booing crowd

angle v benoit action= crowd on their feet, super hot

Its obvious to the fans, what they want WWE to be, it's just up to Vince to realise it. If he doesn't, then Vince I'd enjoy the money while you can, cause if you can't give the fans what they want, no money in the world can save you or your company.