Fan Clubs

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

Why you can't see that in WWE.

The Icon

When looking over different wrestling forums and news sites you tend to always see someone compalining about a wrestlers moveset in WWE is just a small portion of what they can do and how WWE restricts their wrestlers. See Kaval and Danielson. I thought I would do a thread to explain why (I think) WWE do this.

WWE is without question the largest wrestling company in the world, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to work that out. WWE have millions of fans all over the world and they do their best to put on the best TV shows and live events for these us the fans. Not always 100% succesful of course.

To be able to do this the WWE superstars have a truly grueling schedule which consists of at least 4 shows per week, sometimes more when a PPV is on and sometimes even two matches in the same night. Lets say the average WWE wrestlers has at least 4 matches each week whether it be for TV or a house show.

Now some wrestlers in WWE can do some moves that we rarely see them do, the main guys this affects is the smaller crusier style who can really go fast and pull off some amazing moves. This is where move restrictions come into place. Again Think of Brian and Kaval in particular.

The reason for these restrictions is because if WWE let their wrestlers go at full speed every match they did we would have some very worn out guys out there putting on lousy matches. You cant wrestle at top performance as often as the WWE guys perform, you would end up killing yourself. Not only do WWE restrct their guys the wrestlers themsleves hold back as they know the toll it can take due to the huge schedule they have.

Thats why more often that not wrestlers on the indie circuit or smaller promotions seem to be able to do more in the ring or why when you see an old tape of someone like Rey or Brian Kendrick or Kaval they seem to do more.

Its all a case of not over pushing yourself so the fans can get to see their favourite stars week after week and therefore restrictions need to be in place.

Well that and It is that Vince simply does not want lower & midcard stars who could be more high flying to up stage people like Orton, HHH & Cena.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Beltster

The problem with your theory is that fair enough, house shows guys should take it easy, but if they are taking it easy on all non-televised events, they should still have plenty in the tank to go full on on TV and PPV right? But they dont, they still work a watered down style on TV and PPV alot of the time. Its got nothing to do with not wanting to get hurt by working an easier style on all non-televised shows so they can save it for TV and PPV and everything to do with the style WWE wants people to work, i.e: watered down.

WWE likes to save alot of stuff for their main eventers which is cool and how it should be, but alot of the time they sacrifice alot of guys talents so their main events arent upstaged which kills the thought process that the cream always rises to the top.

Guest Jayfunk
to me when the bell rings WWE becomes very dull, they don't do anything i can't see else where better. I am not sure what it is, if vinces wants to save this talent, he doesn't want hem to over shadow the mani eventers, they hire the wrong talent or vince doesn't give a shit about wrestling and only as matches because he has too. Its hard to call

The problem with your theory is that fair enough, house shows guys should take it easy, but if they are taking it easy on all non-televised events, they should still have plenty in the tank to go full on on TV and PPV right? But they dont, they still work a watered down style on TV and PPV alot of the time. Its got nothing to do with not wanting to get hurt by working an easier style on all non-televised shows so they can save it for TV and PPV and everything to do with the style WWE wants people to work, i.e: watered down.

WWE likes to save alot of stuff for their main eventers which is cool and how it should be, but alot of the time they sacrifice alot of guys talents so their main events arent upstaged which kills the thought process that the cream always rises to the top.

I think my theory holds water. Yes granted Vince and co love the watered down style, but I feel there is more to it than just that.

Guest The Beltster

So explain why they work that style even on TV and PPV then. If they are working a weaker style on house shows to prevent injury and save their best for TV and PPV, then fine, but alot of these guys dont work any harder on TV and PPV either so it really doesnt make much difference.

In fact, alot of guys work harder on house shows. On TV they might have 3 minutes whereas on a house show they might have 10-20 minutes.

So explain why they work that style even on TV and PPV then. If they are working a weaker style on house shows to prevent injury and save their best for TV and PPV, then fine, but alot of these guys dont work any harder on TV and PPV either so it really doesnt make much difference.

In fact, alot of guys work harder on house shows. On TV they might have 3 minutes whereas on a house show they might have 10-20 minutes.

Hell I don't know, maybe I got it all wrong. After all it's only a theory.

The problem is that there are too many PPV's to begin with. They jam them so close together that the TV shows can't help but be horrible. As I've said before, RAW and Smackdown are used as commercials for the next PPV and the quality of the wrestling suffers because of it.

Take at least 4 PPV's a year out and we might see some good wrestling on RAW and Smackdown.

Also the guys wouldn't have to be going full bore all the time. I kind of feel sorry for these wrestler's, if their not working in the ring, they're on the road to the next show.

Guest Jimmy Redman

Injuries dont just come from a risky in-ring style. There's steriods and over-bulking, the hard schedule, and then just plain accidents and bad luck. You cant prevent all injuries.

The WWE style IS safer than others you can compare it to. There's barely any weapons anymore, no chairshots to the head, no blading (doesnt cause injuries, but still scars and such), and rarely ever any dangerous head dropping or hard strikes like you can see elsewhere.

As I've said before, RAW and Smackdown are used as commercials for the next PPV
That isn't a bad thing though; TV shows should be designed to hype interest in the next PPV and, for me, WWE don't do it enough.

Injuries dont just come from a risky in-ring style. There's steriods and over-bulking, the hard schedule, and then just plain accidents and bad luck. You cant prevent all injuries.

The WWE style IS safer than others you can compare it to. There's barely any weapons anymore, no chairshots to the head, no blading (doesnt cause injuries, but still scars and such), and rarely ever any dangerous head dropping or hard strikes like you can see elsewhere.

TNA use a slightly more risky style, only slightly mind including all the things you mentioned. Chair shots included before a few weeks ago. Yet it seems like WWE stars get injured more easily than TNA ones.

Guest oobydooby

It does not really matter how many house shows a wrestler does, there is no excuse for sloppiness in the ring. Bryan Daniels, or whatever he is called now was billed on entering the WWE as the man of 1000 submissions, yet he is only ever allowed to use one. Mysterio uses only the 619 as a finishing move, Cena a face bar submission, Cody Rhodes a twisting neck breaking face smash into the mat thing and so on... The point being every wrestler has a finishing move that every other wrestler knows and expects to happen at the appointed time.

This means in simple terms that any wrestler can face any other wrestler without the need to rehearse beforehand. There is no need to work a script or practise with the opponent, it is simply a matter of deciding at which point the move takes place.

The obvious advantage of this is the wrestlers can now spend more time travelling and in ring, which is a shame. I for one would like to see Daniels expand his WWE repertoire of submissions and see more Mysterio high flying and so on.

WWE in particular has become boring as we all know that any match will be won by one of two finishing moves, that of one or the other wrestler. The only reason to watch is to find out who they have decided will be the winner for that particular show.

More to follow soon.

WWE in particular has become boring as we all know that any match will be won by one of two finishing moves, that of one or the other wrestler. The only reason to watch is to find out who they have decided will be the winner for that particular show.

More to follow soon.

Except some big ppv matches where the finishing moves don't work, you know the opponent kicks out the first time. Then the win is with a roll up or second finisher or something. Even then there is little variety in the pinfall. Orton for example is winning by some sort of roll up or the RKO, nothing else.

Guest oobydooby

And here's another clue as to how a match will end.

Look at the referee. is he wearing an earpiece? If so you can be pretty sure he is either going to be put out of action by the wrestlers or be out of position so an illegal move can take place.

Case in point. How often have the Bree twins been able to swap places and get the win simply because the referee has spend an inordinate amount of time on the other side of the ring facing the wrong way, just to turn round at the precise time and make the count. Yes he has just been told via the earset that he can now turn round as the illegal move has been completed.

How many times have referees been simply pushed to the ground (not with any violence, simply bumped to the ground) and then spent ages as if stunned by an FU or some devastating move, only to revive enough to make a count after an illegal move has been completed. Yes he has just been told that the move has been completed and he can take the count.

There, I've said my piece, Th.. Th... Th... Thats all folks!!

Guest Jamster26

I just think the matches are badly created in the WWE.You don't have to add millions of risky moves in a match but atleast shake things up once in a while. Like instead of Orton doing that drop down DDT off the ropes, put their legs on the top of the turnbuckle and drop them like that once in a while, or if you're edge; how about a diving spear from the top rope? Surely these moves aren't any riskier that what they do currently?

People just want to see a bit of variation within matches. Cena's dropkick a while back was a start. :lol

Guest The Franchise

Less is more.

to me when the bell rings WWE becomes very dull, they don't do anything i can't see else where better. I am not sure what it is, if vinces wants to save this talent, he doesn't want hem to over shadow the mani eventers, they hire the wrong talent or vince doesn't give a shit about wrestling and only as matches because he has too. Its hard to call

When you take a look back on music, TV, videogames,and pro wrestling from the past it wasnt that much to go on but yet it seemed more satisfying than the way things are today. The glory days of pro wrestling(1985-2006) Wrestling told you a story worth listening to.

Now? Stories are reused and abused by different wrestlers. The guys behind the scenes writing this crap isnt really trying to please us anymore. This PG rating crap is truly killing the WWE's chances for redemption IMO.

I mean a kid cant pay for their own ticket in order to get in to see their favorite wrestler. A kid cant pay for their own T-shirt in order to support their favorite wrestler. A kid cant spend money for wrestling PPV's in order to keep up with whats going on. SO I say this: Kill the PG rating and go back to what put them on the map. Plus, I say less talking and more wrestling. Enough already with all this talking and less ass-kicking. Let em fight.

Originality is the name of the game. The people that truly should be writing this stuff behind the scenes is former pro wrestlers themselves along with good creative writers. Keep it simple. And kill that PG rating. Thats whats truly making the WWE a bigger joke than TNA for that matter. And that aint saying much:)

Guest Rikidozan

The major reasons pro wrestling is a killer (a bad choice of wordage, I know), is that (in no special order);

1. Wrestling is night-after-night

2. There's no off-season

3. You're zig-zagging time zones, destroying sleep patterns (which means essentially you need to take pill to wake up, and pills to get to sleep)

Remember, i'm not taking sides on this, or blaming anyone from the workers to promoters, i'm just throwing it out there:)

Guest Beefhead
Yeah the idea that the watered down style comes from protecting their stars at house shows is all wrong, because most of the guys work their asses off at house shows. in fact you can see moves at house shows they cant do on TV, which kind of lends itself to the idea of being afraid of the lesser stars showing up the main eventers. Ive been to loads of house shows and besides maybe the two PPVs Ive been to the wrestling matches at house shows have been way better than the ones televised.