Open Club  ·  37 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

Edge

Guest Jung

A-Train’s fast job to Rey Mysterio in the tag match last week on Smackdown was an indication that the A-Train push has come to an abrupt halt.

Vince McMahon apparently lost faith in the feud after the poor reception A-Train received, and pulled the plug on the feud.

McMahon, who made the call to replace Matt Hardy with Albert only hours before the Rey Mysterio injury angle took place, has actually placed the blame on Edge. McMahon feels that Edge was unable to carry the in-ring portion of the feud, and has not shown what it takes to be a top tier player.

In addition, Edge was given the final slot in the Raw X to further promote him as a top tier wrestler, but again he disappointed management.

Edge has been given many opportunities by management because he is a home grown talent, but he has reportedly cooled in the eyes of some top management.

Credit: Pro Wrestling Torch Newsletter

Is Vince stupid or something? Because A-Train doesn't get over, they blame it on Edge??

It's official they are doomed.

Guest Seabass

What the... is Vince smoking the bag of weed X-Pac left behind because clearly it's affecting his way of thinking. now... Vince lost two possible killer fueds in Matt Hardy Vs Edge and Matt Hardy Vs Rey Misterio and instead gave us one which we had a feeling was going nowhere. but at least Edge make his match against A-Train watchable.

What was Edge supposed to do on Raw X, say "That's it becuase i'm presenting the main award, I offically declare myself #1 contender at No Way Out and WM-X9. sorry Brock, but you know what they say- there's always next year". he did what he was supposed to do and when he told everyone to get up and thank the fans- i thought that was nice touch (if it was scripted, at least he made it look good).

I really hope that Vince dosen't slow or abort Edge's push. He's prove he can help produce great matches (to say Kurt Angle carried him to several excellent matchs is arguable but i disagree), I enjoy his promos and watching him wrestle.

one final note-

"Edge has been given many opportunities by management ".. and he's taken them all in good strides but come on bookers- it takes two to tangle and if you give Edge the right partner to get the best out of him and make him look good (once again i point out Kurt Angle)

Guest Rudi El Fire

How in the blue hell has Vince come to the conclusion that Edge has failed to run with the ball when he's just come off a breakout year with nary a single bad or even medicre match to look back on, who has been instrumental in building up other wrestlers on the roster while holding his own in two classic feuds, several MOTY candidates and has shown he can form an instant quality tag team with anyone (perfect for those PPV build-up tag matches). Meanwhile whenever Albert has been given the ball before he's run backwards with it.

Maybe Vince sees something else in Edge.. a quality Canadian worker and team player who can elevate anyone placed in the ring with him, who has a human (rather than superhero) character, who started out in one of the federation's great tag teams.. does this remind you of a certain bitter former employee in pink tights, who was champion through WWE's most financially dismal period (through no fault of his) and who ended his career with the company in one of Vince's most pubicly shameful and publicly derided moves ever?

Guest MillionLiraMan

Unbelievable. However, while we're all quick to dismiss A-Train out of hand, I think you also have to look at the fact that he wasn't given any build-up to his push with Mysterio/ Edge, he was just thrown in there immediately. One week he's on Velocity with Funaki and the rest, the next is the Rey match and the next again week he's main eventing on SmackDown!, which is a bit much to take in regardless of who it was who was getting pushed. That said, it should be common knowledge by now that no matter how they repackage him, Albert isn't going to be over with the crowd as a top player.

To blame it on Edge however, is just ridiculous. This just goes to prove how out of touch Vince must be if that's his honest opinion. I also think that judging Edge now is pretty foolish since he obviously has bags of potential for the future, and I don't feel there should be any rush to decide whether to give him everything or nothing just yet. I also think that before they look at Edge it wouldn't do them any harm to reward other people who have done just as much for WWE but don't have such a future ahead of them, meaning that Benoit and Eddie Guerrero should be considered for an actual title run instead of being makeshift contenders for when there's a PPV and no 300lbs plus guy to step in for it. Then Edge would have more credibility in having had rivalries and epic matches with these guys. What the Hell, for the acid test give him Angle at No Way Out and see how he gets on in a title match with someone decent if they're going to judge him, rather than a half-assed thrown together scenario with some furry bloke. Somehow, I think that would get more of a reception than Albert headlining a PPV.

The WWE could quite easily go under if Vince doesn't take off the 'everyone only wants to see big guys' blinkers pretty soon, I don't think many of you would argue that a feud between Edge and Matt Hardy would have been awesome, and while we're at it Matt has had this great gimmick for some time without him getting a proper push, meaning that aside from being with 29 other guys or being Steiner's bitch with Nowinski he should be getting proper matches in PPVs. We don't need A-Train or Big Show, neither of whom were questioned before being given the spotlight, being pushed over guys like Edge who I think have done more than enough to show that they could handle the main event spot.

Finally, the Raw X spot didn't prove Edge to be out of his depth. Didn't we all hear loudly audible 'boring' chants for none other than The Rock? The fact was that Raw X as a show sucked butt crevice, with no past stars or even footage of whole matches for us to enjoy, and Edge alone can hardly be held responsible for that.

Edited by MillionLiraMan

At this rate, the WWE will go under, there isn't no if's about it. To keep going you need success, and without it, you go down. It's getting scarily like WCW, even worse in a lot of cases.

More McMahdness-

Steph has decided that the Noble, Nidia and Crazy Cousin Nunzio stable's push will be put on hold, because Nidia looks too fat.

Yes, it's more than justified to hold back two workers because their valet isn't in perfect shape. God forbid, the fans might not be able to see into the ring past Nidia, and therefore couldn't boo the ANGRY, MEAN, INTENSE, BULLY Bill DeMott while he's squashing Nunzio and Noble.

Guest Hosgood

I'm not Edge's number one fan but this is ridiculous, the guy is incredibly talented and I would of payed good money to see an Edge/Matt Hardy feud. McMahon's so out of touch with what the fans want it's beyond a joke, Jung's said many times -and I agree- that the fans have shown they prefer watching the Angles, Benoits and Edges and NOT the A-Trains of this world. Benoit v Angle got a standing ovation Vince, open your eyes!

As for the Nidia thing, who's Stephanie to be throwing around fat comments, she's got about 2 stone of fat hanging under her arms.

Well Nidia better get to be unhealthly skinny like Stacy Kiebler. Well they do have drug, injury and ego problems amoung the male locker room I suppose a few eating diss-orders in the womens locker room would fit in fine.

Looks like we'll see another failed Albert push this year as Vince still has faith in him but not Edge.

If Edge upped his muscle mass and got his weight up to 260lbs (like a certain Raw main eventer who this time in 98 was much smaller than Edge) then i'm sure Vince would have complete faith in him.

The Rumble really made alot of things stand out, the guys who got the biggest reactions out of the crowd (Booker, RVD, Jericho, Edge, Rey, Matt) all looked like weak nearly men, while guys who got zero heat were pushed to the end (Batista, Albert, Taker, 3MW). The simple truth is Vince & co don't listen what the fans want because they feel they no what people want better than they do themeselves.

It'll probaly take something huge to rattle McMahon into changing things and with no WCW to humilate him in the ratings like in 97 this probaly wont happen for along long time.

Guest Rudi El Fire
Steph has decided that the Noble, Nidia and Crazy Cousin Nunzio stable's push will be put on hold, because Nidia looks too fat.

Hiss! Scratch! Miaow!

Guest fujiwara

What? that is an outragous comment! Edge had one of the best string of matches in 2002. He impressed the hell out of me.

What is Vince thinking. My theory is that during boom period of wrestling there were many big wrestlers on top or near the top of the pile like the Undertaker and Kane. Most people watched Wrestling because it was the "in' thing to do. Now that those people have stopped watching the ones that are left like, well most of them watch wrestling for the in ring product. We would rather see Benoit, Angle, Eddie, Edge, Jericho, RVD and booker T than the big show and others like that. Sure it helps if there is a storyline but still at the end of the day if the match sucks then we criticise it. We fans are the "hardcore' if you will. i mean yea we are going to mark out for Austin if and when he returns but that is because he is an intrical part of the WWE. Still we love the matches. The WRESTLING.

Benoit got a standing ovation at the Rumble for his match with Angle. But Vince dos'nt seem to take notice of things like this and continues to push the likes of Bill De Mott.

In many ways the WWE is worse than WCW. at least WCW took notice of benoit and built him up and gave him the world title if only for a night. Now that Benoit is a big star the WWE fail to give him a title run. You could say that WCW was afraid of pushing new stars and kept the old people like Hogan at the top. But you are over looking Booker T and Jeff Jerret who although they were not exactly rookies, were elevated to that main event standard. the WWE is hesitant now to push the most over guys inthe company. RVD who is extremly popular has had what two shots at world titles on PPV in his entire run and in those he wasn't exactly treated as a major threat. Benoit, who appears to be getting more popular is another case. jericho was given the undisputed title, but the run was such a shambles that the fans were relieved when he relinquished of the strap.

If the WWE don't do something quickly they will indeed keep falling down further and further until it does indeed eventually die out. Star power may get some people interested again but the wrestling is what matters to us, not the big lumbering guys who cannot tell the difference between a wrist lock from a wrist watch.

Take note WWE! Don't keep giving us this rubbish. Please for our and your sakes!!!!!!

(BTW most of that piece is from an article I'm working on. just incase you see it crop up again.)