Fan Clubs

More main eventers please

The Icon

It's not exactly a secret that WWE main events the last few years are growing more and more stale. It's not because they don't make new main eventers either, clearly they do, it is because they don't make enough main eventers. The two or so they make evey year just is not enough to keep the main event scene fresh long enough. When the made Jeff Hardy a main eventer it freshened up the scene for a while. But then he left and of course the ME scene automatically got stale again for a while as there was just the usual main eventers.

They need to make 2 to 3 main eventers at a time. Now that they made Miz a main eventer Raw is in part a more fresh scene. But soon Miz will have faced all the top faces, so what happens in 6 months say when that happens? Nothing except repeats unless he has fresh main event faces to face. The problem is not making new main eventers, I said that already but it needs repeating. Sheamus, Swagger (briefly) and Miz to name but 3 are proof they are making new main eventers. But Sheamus has already faced all the top faces so he was in danger of growing stale. Not now as he has a fresh feud, hopefully one which is intending to get Morrison into the ME scene.

Turning main eventers who are face heel, and the opposite of course, is not the answer either as they are still facing the same set of main eventers. Edge vs Kane might not have being done for a while but it is not new. No the only way to go is fresh main eventers, that said you can't have too many main eventers either. No company can work with every wrestler as a main eventer. But with the size of WWE and with 2 A shows with seperate talent I think you could easily get away with 10 or even 12 main eventers per show. (Making 5 or 6 main event feuds per show.) That would keep the scene fresh for longer. Feuds can be repeated and still be fresh of course, it is just how often they are repeated that is a problem. How many times over the past 3 years have various combinations of Orton, HHH and Cena faced off? Too many that is how.

Um I can't think of more to say just now.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this has been an issue for year and will continue to be in the future.

It is a valid point. To defend the WWE, if you make a lot of main eventers at the same time, you end up with a convoluted scene. Plus, fans don't always embrace the people you want or it takes longer for someone to get over.

On top of that, someone has to slip down the card. They've got 2 brands, which makes it easier these days, but once a guy gets into the main event, he deserves a chance to establish himself while others, such as Triple H, are still over to the extent it'd be stupid not to use him near the top of the card.

Therefore, phasing top talent out takes time.

People like Hogan and Flair should've already done it. Many main eventers in WCW were guilty of trading on name, reputation and justifying their position by pointing to their salaries. I use WCW as an example.

Bischoff said 4-5 main eventers drive the business and that's the way wrestling is. He has a point but what you said in your post is also true: You do get sick of seeing the same combinations. All variations of Cena, Triple H and Orton have been utilised to such a large extent. It's recently happened between Orton and Sheamus too.

I've thought, perhaps stupidly, making The Miz champion is a good decision. Not only can he face Orton then Cena, Triple H and Sheamus down the road but given his history with Morrison and Daniel Bryan, they'd be good challengers to use against him. That's not to say I'd put them there and keep them there but it could be a gauge of whether they're ready - and it mixes things up.

On Smackdown, I think the situation looks even more dire. Alberto Del Rio is getting pushed but Kane v Edge, the angle they didn't get to book, has been completely missable and I, for one, am not interested in their TLC match. I won't claim to speak for everyone and Orton/Barrett is already dead in the water. The Survivor Series match sucked plus the money lies in a Barrett/Cena rematch (for the kids) while pairing off Orton with someone else. Personally, if he stays heel, I'd like to see that man be CM Punk.

You are right in that they need to make main eventers.

I'm just saying it's not as easy as elevating 2 or 3 at the same time. They haven't helped themselves by stalling pushes (Kofi Kingston's for example.) While I'm not a big fan of Kofi, he still seems to be over and they may have missed a chance to put him up there.

Guest the HiTman
A focus away from the main event scene when there arent any true main eventers is what's needed...bring back some big stables, or focus on the tag division....these things will, if done right will create future main eventers and even stars (as I typed that I realise how horridly the WWE have handled these things over the last few years :P)

It is a valid point. To defend the WWE, if you make a lot of main eventers at the same time, you end up with a convoluted scene. Plus, fans don't always embrace the people you want or it takes longer for someone to get over.

I totally agree with this. I think that's what happened to Sheamus during his first title run and with Swagger to an extent. Neither one of them were ready for the main event, but were thrown in there and the fans didn't like it.

Sheamus is okay now and his second run wasn't such a shock, Swagger he's still not ready. I just can't believe a guy with someone in an eagle outfit running around behind him, is a main event person. He's coming across more as a comedy character.

To tell the truth though, I don't think the WWE expected themselves to be in the predicament that they are. They might have foreseen Batista and Jericho leaving, but, there is no way they could have been prepared for the injuries that have sidelined some of the others.

Yes they should have been preparing some of the mid card for this eventually but it seems that they screwed up. Having the Miz as champ is fresh and hopefully it works out for him. I like the fact that Morrison might be getting a shot too. The two people they missed the boat on completely is Kofi, and someone who is going great guns in TNA right now, The Pope. He is pimpin.:P

EDIT: The tag team division, just like the cruiserweight's is dead in the WWE. That's the one thing TNA has over them. TNA's tag division is great.

Edited by Fiona

Guest Jimmy Redman

Yeah, WWE's problem is both that they dont push new guys, and then that they do. They dont take the time to make any new stars properly, and then suddenly all of their actual stars are old/injured/leaving, so they hotshot guys like Sheamus and Swagger before they're close to over enough to main event, and their pushes fail.

Then idiots use this as proof that the new guys suck or cant get over and whatever, and it makes it doubly hard for any new guy to get pushed properly. Which is what they actually need to do.

Guest Dante Spears
I wouldn't say Sheamus's push has failed. I mean nobody would pay to see him probably but the audience has accepted him as a guy in the ME. Not a very credible one but one none the less.

Guest Jimmy Redman

I'd say he's borderline as a main event guy. He was hotshotted straight away to the WWE Title, had another short run mid-year, sure, but now he's an upper-midcarder and not really a main eventer except on that "its a big multi-man match" kind of level.

He's in a (slightly) lower position now than he was when he had the big push, but thats not even the point really. They didnt exactly make a new big star with that push, is all I'm saying. They just made a guy who's credible in the semi-main position, or almost credible in the main event position, and not as over as any of their already-well-established stars.

BUT, thats their fault for hotshotting him so quickly and then not following up in the same way. I mean, you can bring a guy straight into the main event if you do it right and he looks the part, and they did a fairly good job with Sheamus, but its not like they kept it up enough to the point where you could say "this guy is just a monster" and the total hotshotting is logical. He was booked strong for a nobody for a couple of months (maybe), then he became every other guy, and the only difference between him and any other guy around is that he didnt spend any time in the midcard.

Edited by Jimmy Redman

Guest Jimmy Redman
He's not really at the moment. He last main evented at HIAC (if you can call it that, Barrett/Cena went on after it), he's in a midcard feud with Morrison and there's a clear main event scene (Cena, Barrett, Orton, Miz) that are ahead of him.

He's not really at the moment. He last main evented at HIAC (if you can call it that, Barrett/Cena went on after it), he's in a midcard feud with Morrison and there's a clear main event scene (Cena, Barrett, Orton, Miz) that are ahead of him.

To each their own but I maintain that he is only feuding with Morrison as all the top faces are so busy the last 3 to 4 months. I think as soon as HHH comes back Sheamus and he will be having a main event series.

Guest Jimmy Redman

Well that may be so but it doesnt change the fact that right now he's not there, whatever the reason for it may be.

And the HHH feud will be high profile and probably second from the top, unless one of them wins the title I guess.

Mm.

Feuding with Morrison and wrestling him on the second match at Survivor Series?

Plus, he was crowned King of The Ring? 1993-95 that put you into the main event. Now, it's usually the beginning (Okay, so Regal was crowned too.) They may have tried to change that by giving Sheamus the crown but is he a main eventer?

Yes and no. He's still there or thereabouts and will be thrust back into it if he they do have him feud with Triple H. For sure.

The tag team division, just like the cruiserweight's is dead in the WWE. That's the one thing TNA has over them. TNA's tag division is great.

Tag Division isn't the only thing they have over WWE. The womens division is on fire at the moment there.

Barrett is a main event character with midcard talent who is not, as a complete package, a main eventer, certainly taken no more seriously than Sheamus is.

It's at this point, considering that fewer new talented guys are coming through and SmackDown is in the toilet, that WWE really should consider ditching the SmackDown brand. As much as it's a business thing as well as on TV, I think they're at the stage where SmackDown house shows are becoming liabilities and the SmackDown show is not creating any stars because only half of the Raw audience (the main audience) is watching it. They're clearly running out of ideas for both SmackDown and Wrestlemania, so I'd be inclined to start putting the wheels in motion for title unifications and moving guys like Edge, Mysterio and Undertaker back to Raw. Some guys will get lost in the shuffle, but they need to ditch the crap and focus on the top talent there.

As weak as the main event looks when separated by brands, I think that a roster top-lined with Cena, Orton, HHH, Mysterio, Edge, Sheamus, Miz and Del Rio sounds a lot more appealing and gives a lot more options when staleness kicks in. And, better than that, it creates a mid-card feuding over the Intercontinental/US title that boasts Ziggler, Morrison, Daniel Bryan, Kaval, Kofi, Truth and Kidd, which on paper sounds pretty damn awesome if you have a Heyman-like mind and build programs around five or six of them. Then, with people like Mysterio and Punk to elevate those guys to the main event when they're ready, it gives WWE a lot more stability from top to bottom (tag teams aside, but you could always makeshift some teams using the aforementioned midcarders - would anyone complain if Bryan and Kaval feuded with Kofi and Truth, or Ziggler and Kidd, or Christian and Mysterio? I sure as hell wouldn't.

At this stage, the brand split is hindering star growth just as much as the poor booking is. Nobody bar us watches SmackDown, only slightly more than those who watch Impact at this point, so I'm all in favour of ditching it and starting afresh. Can only help them in the long run.

Barrett is a main event character with midcard talent who is not, as a complete package, a main eventer, certainly taken no more seriously than Sheamus is.

It's at this point, considering that fewer new talented guys are coming through and SmackDown is in the toilet, that WWE really should consider ditching the SmackDown brand. As much as it's a business thing as well as on TV, I think they're at the stage where SmackDown house shows are becoming liabilities and the SmackDown show is not creating any stars because only half of the Raw audience (the main audience) is watching it. They're clearly running out of ideas for both SmackDown and Wrestlemania, so I'd be inclined to start putting the wheels in motion for title unifications and moving guys like Edge, Mysterio and Undertaker back to Raw. Some guys will get lost in the shuffle, but they need to ditch the crap and focus on the top talent there.

As weak as the main event looks when separated by brands, I think that a roster top-lined with Cena, Orton, HHH, Mysterio, Edge, Sheamus, Miz and Del Rio sounds a lot more appealing and gives a lot more options when staleness kicks in. And, better than that, it creates a mid-card feuding over the Intercontinental/US title that boasts Ziggler, Morrison, Daniel Bryan, Kaval, Kofi, Truth and Kidd, which on paper sounds pretty damn awesome if you have a Heyman-like mind and build programs around five or six of them. Then, with people like Mysterio and Punk to elevate those guys to the main event when they're ready, it gives WWE a lot more stability from top to bottom (tag teams aside, but you could always makeshift some teams using the aforementioned midcarders - would anyone complain if Bryan and Kaval feuded with Kofi and Truth, or Ziggler and Kidd, or Christian and Mysterio? I sure as hell wouldn't.

At this stage, the brand split is hindering star growth just as much as the poor booking is. Nobody bar us watches SmackDown, only slightly more than those who watch Impact at this point, so I'm all in favour of ditching it and starting afresh. Can only help them in the long run.

I would not ditch SD, just the brand split if you want to go down that road. One show is not enough to book as many wrestlers that WWE employee. You need two so the midcarders and lower at least have a chance to appear. Said don't need to apper every week even under a one brand system. But with one show they may find they hardly ever get a chance to appear. As most of Raw would be about the upper midcarders and Main eventers.

Unless WWE were to cut 30% or so of it's roster all it would be doing is having talent on it's books hardly used.