Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

Stings' New Gimmick

Guest Jamster26

Guest Jamster26

What do you make of it?

I've only been following him for about five years in TNA and while I've always liked Sting, it was more sentimental, than admiring his actual in ring work, given what a name he is in the wrestling business.

I think his current character suits him to a "T". I thought the whole "Hogan is a cancer in TNA" "I'm here to save TNA from you" etc etc; was abit...pants to be honest.

However, this new Sting, who looks like he has snapped, has brought some life back into him, and I'm actually wanting to watch Sting, rather than just acknowledging him, because of his history in the wrestling business.

The scene where he got Anderson in a sleeper hold and smothered red paint on himself and then Anderson, was brilliant, I was almost crying... "Yeah, the stinger!!" :)

What do you make of his new change? Can't wait to see more of it, personally.

Does this have the potential to be his best gimmick yet?

Edited by Jamster26

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jamster26
Sorry, I might have got the wrong wrestling terminology, just a different side to his character, which I'm pleasantly enjoying at present. :)

He's doing a sirt of psycho gimmick, lots of weird laughing and painting peoples faces and stuff. This week he did it perfectly, almost jim carrey maniac without being an annoying tw*t. Personally if it means he;s doing that rather than wrestling all the time it's a winner.

Guest Dante Spears

I think it's just dumb. He was the voice of reason a few weeks ago and now he's batshit crazy. It'll just turn Sting heel and Sting never should be a heel. That being said the gimmick is great, I think it would do wonders for another talent.

On the other hand Sting is broken down in the ring< he needs all the help he can get at this point to just not turn into a joke.

Edited by Dante Spears

Liked it when he got hold of Hogan in his office, now it's too much Joker mannerisms. Wide eyes and smiley face... Edited by Shaun2J

Guest John Hancock

I'm really annoyed that I waited so long to post in this thread, because I always feel like I'm too down on wrestling, and so I'm always eager to say when I like something, because it shows I'm not some loveless, bitter cynic.

The reason I'm annoyed that... ergh... I don't like it anymore. A few weeks back, I LOVED this new Sting. It's always such a worry refreshing a legend, and it rarely goes well, but I was really liking crazy creepy Sting, and was really happy that I finally had something nice to say about a major TNA angle. Then though, THEN, it became obvious what had happened. Exactly what had happened was that, around a month ago, Vince Russo had popped into Blockbusters and rented The Dark Knight, and this is the result.

And it's rubbish. Ripping off movie characters for wrestlers is never good, and it's even worse when the movie is question is a good three or four years old, AND when the character you're ripping off has been done to death and was absolutely everywhere in pop culture at the time. It's like Paul Burchill, which WWE writers openly admit only happened because Vince McMahon saw Pirates of the Caribbean five years after it had come out and thought it was the best thing ever, not noticing that the film had been HUGE in it's day, and now any reference to it would not only be seen as a blatant rip-off, but also as laughably out of date and behind the times. Burchill is to Pirates of the Caribbean what Sting is to The Dark Knight.

I assure you though, for my own credibility, for about two weeks, I promise I liked it.

Guest DarkMatchJobber
How do you know it was one of Russo's ideas? Fair enough,the guy has attracted a lot of criticism in the past for some of his ideas,but he is not the only person on the creative team in TNA.

Guest John Hancock
By "Vince Russo", in that context, I obviously mean "TNA creative". It's the same as when people refer to Vince McMahon having bad ideas whenever WWE do something stupid, irrespective of whether or not it was McMahon's idea it's pretty standard practise, and it doesn't really have much to do with the issue. The point was to blame Russo, or to blame anyone, the point was to say how I feel about the character. It was an obviously flippant remark to describe who the angle looks, to think too much into the name I used is kinda missing the point.

Guest DarkMatchJobber

I apologise,it's a combined effort when it comes to TNA's creative - whether it's for a good idea or a bad idea.

Sting losing it in the office with Hogan was a surprise,because he started off talking quite rationally and intelligently until he went into madman mode.

And I loved the segment on Impact last week when he had Bischoff in the Scorpion Deathlock,the look on his face when applying the hold was great.

Guest John Hancock
Yeah, Sting's doing his best with it, and he always makes things better than they have any right to be, because he's great, but I'd love to see the booking team doing more to help him out. Right now, the main positive is Sting's performance DESPITE the booking, not because of it.

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity