Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

Kane And The Mask

Guest Jamster26

Guest Jamster26

My question is, should he bring it back? I was thinking, with Kane going on about, how he wants to “be rid of his humanity” “be a monster again”, would you see this as good time to bring the mask back on him?

I think Masked Kane was much better and although, he perhaps didn’t talk as much, I think he could go on a Mark Henry type roll; just demolishing anyone and everyone.

I think Kane is being wasted as he should be allot more dominating, imposing, you get the drift.

What do you think? Would you like to see the mask return? Or do you prefer Kane without it?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ravenmark

Kane has the gimmick that would never die.

I always think they blew it when they unmasked him and said he had psychological scarring and the Jim Ross interview was dreadful.

His entrance gets a big pop and normally when he hits a chokeslam, but he's a bit part player now and if used it should only be in the mid card or tag division.

As for the mask? Not fussed either way.

Guest Dave7g
He's shit with or without the mask.

Kane should just be used in Royal Rumbles now.

Exactly. This comes up every so often and I'll never understand how a piece of material over his face will make him any less shite than he always was. It's up to Vince whether or not he wants Kane to be monster heel again, not a mask. He's stale as hell now and that's not entirely his fault since they killed the Kane gimmick years ago when they would show him hanging out backstage chatting normally with the boys, and then the next week he was an uncontrollable monster again. You can't keep doing that because nobody believes it anymore.

Guest Ciaran The King
To me Kane's appeal faded years ago, but he has stood the test of time. To go back to the mask now would be stupid. It's like Mysterio, they only put the mask back on him to sell replicas.

Guest Jimmy Redman

Yeah, there's absolutely no point.

Giving him the mask back, what will that do? It would be one of the most blatant "we're trying to recapture something from 15 years ago" things ever, and it wont work the same the second time because we've had unmasked Kane in between.

Its 2011. Kane doesnt need to be imposing or dominant anymore. He's there to be Kane and be an over guy while he's putting someone else over.

I hope I'm not jinxing it. I remember the fatal "Kane will NEVER be world champ again" thread which foreshadowed his reign of 2010, but he had his 'thank you' run, that should be it.

Guest BratSan

Kane is dead. He died horrible death when he was unmasked. Its just his shadow hanging around for years now.

Ah well, he had his share under the sun.

Guest Jimmy Redman
Why are people always so up in arms about the unmasking of Kane? I've never understood that, but maybe its because I wasnt there. I mean, exactly what heights was Kane going to reach in 2002/03 anyway? What was so career-ruining about it? He's stayed basically the same guy for the last decade and been over and had important feuds and is always protected and won the damn world title in 2010.

Guest BratSan
Why are people always so up in arms about the unmasking of Kane? I've never understood that, but maybe its because I wasnt there. I mean, exactly what heights was Kane going to reach in 2002/03 anyway? What was so career-ruining about it? He's stayed basically the same guy for the last decade and been over and had important feuds and is always protected and won the damn world title in 2010.

There was a bit of unpredictability about Kane those days. He was booked as this mysterious heelish monster whose only job was to demolish. He had everything going for him when he and Taker teamed up as Brothers of Destruction and also when he was Tag Team Champs with RVD. But with his unmasking, I guess that aura about him was gone. Its just me but I didn't see him in the same light I used to , ever again.

If Mysterio is unmasked, do you think he will have that same aura and appeal like he has now?

Guest Jamster26
Yeah, I agree about the aura; it was different, when he became unmasked. I was just trying to get that back.

Guest Jimmy Redman

If Mysterio is unmasked, do you think he will have that same aura and appeal like he has now?

Thats nowhere near the same thing. Kane still looks intimidating and like a monster wrestler without the mask. Rey looks 11 without the mask. Huge difference. Plus the mask defines Rey's character and appeal in a way that Kane's never did, even though he was at his best and most effective with it on. Kane is still a hugely over and viable character unmasked, and has been for 8 years.

Guest BratSan

Agreed that Rey has less aura and credibility without his mask, right.

For me, the same goes for Kane. When he had his mask on, his facial expressions were unknown to his opponents, thus making the unpredictability factor working for him. People had a look at him and thought hell ,we don't know going on behind this mask. Any monster, if unmasked, is gonna lose that aura of unpredictability and unknown that they used to command and people suddenly will stop taking them as seriously as they did earlier.

Kayfabe or not, people generally are in awe or fear of things they cant see or don't know. But once that's revealed, the fear factor goes for a toss. But hey, these are just my opinions. Feel free to disagree. :)

Guest Jimmy Redman
I dont disagree, but I'm just saying that Rey relies on the mask far more than Kane does, even just because he has no physical credibility without it, whereas Kane does.

Guest BratSan
I dont disagree, but I'm just saying that Rey relies on the mask far more than Kane does, even just because he has no physical credibility without it, whereas Kane does.

This I agree with you.

Rey Mysterio is a masked luchador/wrestler the mask is part of what he is. Kane is a Big Monster who happened to wear a mask. Bar the actual unmasking there isn't anything he couldn't really have done with the mask he couldn't have done without it.

Guest Dave7g
He wore the mask because he was so badly disfigured in the fire that Taker started as a child. When he took the mask off he was absolutely fine though.

They claimed the scars he had were mental. Still I never understood why his eyes were black and then a few weeks later it was gone.

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity