Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

The Best in the World?

Guest Dante Spears

Guest Dante Spears
Watching CM Punk's promo it got me wondering, just who is the best wrestler in the world right now? There doesn't really seem to be anyone who can hold that moniker at the moment.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jimmy Redman

Its a hard one actually. It depends what you mean, how long a period we're judging on, if you mean just matches or the whole package.

If you think in terms of, say, the last month, it is CM Punk. The guy is in the middle of the angle/push of his life, his character work and promos are off the charts, and he had an insane match with Cena at MITB.

Actually, now that I think about it, he's had a pretty great 2011, despite being in Nexus. Fun matches with Cena at the start of the year, good feud with Orton with some awesome matches, the Rey match at CP match was awesome, the Punk/Rey/Alberto triple threat ruled, and then...THIS. He's had a stellar year.

Before he turned heel I would have said Christian. He came back and had about 3 trillion great matches with Alberto, also had the push of his life and the good moment winning the world title at ER, and then had about 3 trillion great matches with Orton. He was also one of the most consistent TV workers in the company. To me he loses something as a heel and his matches arent of quite the same quality, but still.

In terms of promos, Punk has probably had the most consistent year, although The Rock just blew everyone out of the water every time he was in the ring for the very short time he was there. In terms of in-ring, it's hard to argue with Christian or Mysterio. Punk's matches have been so-so and he's still a pretty sloppy worker, whereas Christian and Mysterio have been pretty damn amazing with anyone they've had to work with. In terms of character development, again, probably gonna nod it to Punk. It's never seemed forced with him, and he's thrown himself into everything. Outside of the WWE, I can't think of a single person who has stood out. Not that they matter anyway.

Guest Jimmy Redman

Oops, gotta shout out to Rey. I love that guy, and his quality level is insanely high still. A bunch of good TV stuff, even being on Raw, and his best stuff this year, with Punk, Cody, Alberto, Cena, the Chamber, has been sweet.

This year there have actually been a bunch of guys going on these mini-runs of awesome. Cody Rhodes pre-paper bags. Mark Henry's current Badass run. R-Truth's heel turn. Drew's brutal tear in the New Year. Kharma coming in.

Edited by Jimmy Redman

Guest Dave7g
Outside of the WWE, I can't think of a single person who has stood out. Not that they matter anyway.

If you only watch WWE then how would you know otherwise?

Guest BratSan

Punk had an insane 2011 so far. Rock blew off all the lids whenever he was on TV. Cena continues to improve with every passing day. That being said, I would still go for The Rock any given day of the year. He was, is and always will be the best of the best. Forget Cena, Punk is no where near Rocky's level, even though he is having his best time in years.

Once Rocky's back, Punk and Cena is gonna get got. :lol

Guest Jimmy Redman
To be fair, regardless of everything around him, he was at times a pretty good heel character during this latest run.

Guest Dave7g
Some classic matches with Angle too, he was always good though. Angle. Punk, Rey, AJ and Christian on their current form for me would be the best 'wrestlers' that I've seen this year.

Guest Jamster26
Jeff Jarrett?

Ha, I don't understand why people don't think highly of him., I think he's one of the best heels I've seen, his whole MMA thing was funny as hell and he had some decent matches.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think Jeff is a great wrestler and his MMA run was hilarious, but I can't see how anyone would pick him as the best wrestler in the world right now under any criteria.

Guest Jimmy Redman

(At Jam) Well on the flip side, he's had other times when he's been completely boring and insufferable, never helped by being massively overpushed for most of TNA's existence.

Opinion only really turned around on him in the last couple years, after he stepped back a bit and was just a solid uppercard hand, which is really his position. His babyface run with Angle in late 2008/09 was good, as was his latest heel run, also with Angle as it happens.

If you only watch WWE then how would you know otherwise?

If I only watched WWE, I wouldn't know otherwise. Well no, I would have a fair idea by being educated and being able to read, but by and large I wouldn't know, if I only watched WWE. IF I only watched WWE.

But that's not an applicable point, here.

Guest Ciaran The King
Not at all, as long as it pay's the salaries of the Punk's and the Orton's of this world.

Guest Ciaran The King
I don't really care, I hate Cena. On the argument of best wrestler right now, in the U.S. it has to be Angle.

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity