Rexall Place in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Confirmed Matches/Events

Build to Night of Champions

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jimmy Redman

Its funny you say this after Raw where Punk had to C+P "Eddie Guerrero" into the vanilla midget talking point which has historically always been about Benoit.

There's no way he's mentioning his name. Nor am I really sure why anyone would want him to.

Guest John Hancock

The way I know the "vanilla midget" story is that Chris Benoit was the only one mentioned by name when the phrase came up, but, it was said in the context of whether or not to release Benoit from hiscontract and, in the same meeting, they decided to release Guerrero, Malenko and Saturn too, so, although Guerrero was never directly called a vanilla midget by Nash, he was treated like one.

If Punk mentions Chris Benoit, by this time next week, this feud will be stone dead and the next episode of RAW will just consist of two straight hours of Punk being pedigreed. He's ad-libbing his promos, so there's a POSSIBILITY he could mention something he's not supposed to, but, if he does, Vince McMahon will personally hunt him down and have him to be ceremoniously hung from a bo-flex. Far more likely is WWE's eight millionth reference to the Montreal Screw-job, what with Alberta being the Hart family's home province.

Edited by John Hancock

Depends who you ask. Some say it was directed at Chris Benoit, others say it was directed at the Radicals, and some even say that it was a term he used for the whole Cruiserweight division and had been using it long before WCW. Certainly though, they all identified with it.

Guest Jimmy Redman

Oh they are all identified with it, dont get me wrong, and I'm not saying Eddie wasnt. But Benoit is/was the guy who was most associated with it, I think, more than anyone else. He's the guy who was always used as the shorthand when "vanilla midgets" as a term was brought up.

So my point is if Punk were hypothetically cutting that promo in a world without what went down with Benoit, "Chris Benoit" would be the name used to make his point, before "Eddie Guerrero" or anybody else.

Its just funny since days later we're discussing a hypothetical name drop. Its just not happening, and the above is proof if anyone actually needed it.

Nah, he's too hot for his career to just finish on the spot. He'll just have a lot of shit on his shoe the next week in the form of a pedigree.

Let's suppose he does mention him though, it's four years ago now. Would a Chris Benoit name-drop actually hurt the WWE in anyway shape and form?

Guest The GS
Even with Punk's recent creative freedom, if he mentions Benoit by name his career in WWE is finished.

Punk's not stupid. If anyone it'd be something that one of the Hardy's or Chavo would say as they're gone in the head from what I've heard them say recently.

Well he is now listed on the title history page for the World Heavyweight Title, he hadn't been before. Plus they are now selling DVD's that include him within the match listing, which is a stark contrast to when Summerslam 2004 was listed as special guest Randy Orton when it was in fact the event he defeated Benoit to become the youngest World Champion in history.

Maybe it's not that bad as it once was?

Guest Horowitz
If he mentioned him and it got a pop from the crowd, the press would see it as 'WWE fans cheer murderer' live on TV. Or something. I cant see him mentioning him. Also, I thought it was well known Punk hates Canada. Though I guess they wont mention this at all as it would get in the way of things.

Why the hell would Punk want to mention it? What is he going to say exactly? He's not going to mention the murders because that would give him huge heel heat, which he obviously doesn't want, and he's not going to praise him either because there's nothing positive to say about Benoit.

To be fair it has been said earlier in this thread, the show is in Canada therefore Punk is going to reference his defeat to Alberto as a screw job manufactured by the McMahon's just like the one carried out on Bret 'Canadian Hero' Hart or at least some mention of alluding to that fact...

After all there is a lot of comparisions to be made between Punk's kayfabe situation were he walked out with the title and Hart's real one were it was more then likely he could have walked out with the gold. Hell they even alluded to it in the MITB match between Punk and Cena itself when the STF was clamped on and McMahon ordered Ace to ring the bell...

Still one thing about Raw these days is that it keep you guessing, for all we know the WWE might truely surprise us and not mention Bret Hart, Owen Hart, screwjobs or anything like that for once when in Canada.

Guest Jimmy Redman

You really think its in the realm of possibility that Punk would want to bring up Benoit to praise him for his ring work?

He didnt mean that there was never anything positive in his life when he lived, he's saying, we're talking about Punk cutting a promo on TV in 2011. Nobody could publicly say anything positive about him now.

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity