Price of music

Guest Colin

Y'ello, not often I post around these parts but I was wondering if you could help me with something. It's got to do with an essay I'm working on:

Three quick questions:

1. Does downloading music cause you to go out and buy more or less music, after being exposed to new music?

2. Do you feel the price of a CD is too high?

3. Would you buy more CDs if the price of the CDs were lower?

Thanks for your time...if anyone replys that is

1. Downloading music saves me loads of cash, I never buy CDs these days, very rarely anyway.

2. I feel singles should be slightly cheaper, albums are priced okay though.

3. I probably would buy more CDs if they were cheaper, only albums though, as if there is a single I like its easier and cheaper to download it.

Guest The Crippler

1. I only really download live stuff so it doesn't really make a difference to what I buy.

2. I think the prices of albums are fine. Singles should probably be cheaper.

3. I think the answer would obviously be yes there.

Guest PeteR Richards

1: Definitely, yes. Many times I've downloaded one song by a band and had a few albums within the next week...

2: Singles are very priced, and a little oddly priced considering how many of the same quality songs are on the album... Albums are fine though, I think.

3: Yes, obviously.

1. 90% of the time, after downloading a song I will go and buy the album

2.Singles are ridiculously high. Most of em I've seen are 3.99, 4 of them is the approxamite price of an album. Album prices are good though

3.If cds were cheaper, I would buy tonnes

Guest MillionLiraMan

1. Yes, don't do it often but if I like it then yes.

2. Singles are way too pricey for what they are, especially after the '3 songs only to qualify for the charts' rule reduced the content of singles. Albums are too expensive I think (seventeen quid on average in HMV, 2 years ago it was more like fourteen), they should be dropped by about 2 or 3 quid I think.

3. Yes. Windows in Newcastle are a lot cheaper than most places, and having only recently discovered this I've found I have bought a lot more CDs recently because of the lower prices.

Hope that helps.

1.When i get a pc the first thing i will do will be to start downloading music,that you can"t get to listen to by the normal ways and means,and yes if i like what i hear,it would encourage me to buy more albums.

2.I hardly ever buy singles,you may aswell buy the album,as like the next 3 songs that follow will undoubtably be off that album.They are far to expensive!

3.I usually buy my cds off the net, as one sight sells them all for £8.99, and deliver within a couple of days,cheaper than the highstreet!and no hassle!,and i would buy more if they were cheaper obviously,but i don"t mind £8.99.

I hope i have helped you! :)

I'm the same as Golduster, by my CD's off the net, around 8.99 no p and p, which is pretty good, thus I don't complain. I haven't bought a CD in shop for about 3 years.

Guest Vampiro

1. I dont really download that much, only stuff from an artist that hasnt yet released any material.

2. Cd prices could be a bit cheaper, but it doesnt bother me what they are now, ive bought loads, and im used to the price. singles tho can be to expensive sometimes.

3. I would obviously buy more cds if they were cheaper, because i cud afford it, but still i will buy the cd's in time at this price anyway. it will jus take me longer to gather.

Guest Latino Reheat

1. I usually like to try out a song or two by a band before buying the album. It's less hassle, saves me taking the CD back if I don't like them.

2. Well most places don't give you alot of choice, my HMV has a good selection of metal, but ffs, most are £15 + !

3. Hell yeah I would.......

Guest ChrisfromBirtley

I normally buy the NOW series, but, if singles, albums, e.t.c. were cheaper, I`d buy more. As for downloading from the net, no. I`d rather buy a C.D.

Thanks/ CFB

1. Hard to say. Due to downloads I am planning to buy 50 cent - Get Rich or Die Trying when it is released. But I have also downloaded things knowing I have no intention of buying albums by the group.

2. All singles should have a pound taken off there prices IMO. And album prices aint too bad, but i still wish they were cheaper!

3. i would have more money for the CDs, so ye Id buy more

Guest El Selecta

I've bought a shitload of CDs since I've been downloading stuff of the net. Most of the stuff I like I like needs to be ordered or requires a trip to a good record shop i.e. not HMV/other highstreet shop. I like to hear stuff before I get it.

CDs are far too expensive. They cost about a quid to make. The bands get about 3-12% of the wholesale price of the CD (i.e **** all). The rest goes to record labels and retailers. Stopped buying singles when they introduced that 3 song crap. CDs shouldn't be more than 10 quid at the most.

I would buy ALOT more cds if everything was about a fiver. All that is required is for the Major lables and retalers to be less greedy.