Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

Are Squash Matches Neccessary?

Guest Jamster26

Guest Jamster26

I’m curious as to what people think. Are Squash matches necessary?

Lets be honest, we all know what’s going to happen when someone like Ryback faces Tyson Kidd and the one thing I really don’t like about wrestling; is being predictable.

I know what they’re trying to do, trying to elevate his character for when the time comes to truly throw him into the deep end. But what’s wrong with debuting a new guy against a “credible” opponent?

Imagine if Ryback straight away knocked off someone like Swagger. I’d assume it would be get more people talking (Ok, not THAT many more people talking, because it’s Swagger but you see the point); rather than otherwise facing a jobber, which doesn’t have the same impact.

After the first two squash matches, I was already bored of Funkasaurus. Ryback looks impressive but just doing squash after squash after squash doesn’t impress me.

Funk is facing guys like Miz now but it’s too late. I’m bored of him.

Would it be so bad to debut someone against the likes of Miz, Kingston etc?

I may be looking at this the wrong way and for what it’s worth; I might have a different view once others have voiced their views. But anyway, what are your thoughts?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jimmy Redman

OK, look at it this way: say Ryback/Brodus/whoever comes in and beats guys like Swagger and Miz from the get go, for a few weeks I guess.

Where does he go from there?

The point of squashes are to establish someone in your mind - their character, their style, their moves, their finish. It also lets you see them beating the piss out of people to show you that they are someone who has the ability to crush people. Look at Ryback. Would he look like a beast if he was having competitive midcard matches and selling for Swagger? Of course not.

And in the world of WWE, its also used so you dont have a guy treading water in the midcard abyss forever, facing Jack Swagger a million weeks in a row. Hello Kofi. If you're debuting him at one of the top rungs of the ladder, there's not much room else to go.

You cant just rush into everything. You need to build people up, show what they can do and expose them to the audience before you throw them in the pool with every other midcard goof.

They DO put guys straight in with the likes of Kofi, but all that does is prevent them from getting the exposure they need from dominant wins and places them in the midcard abyss. Its not the way to do things.

Frankly WWE bringing squashes back is one of the better decisions they've made in a while.

Edited by Jimmy Redman

Only for television purposes, the idea is to get guys over, but really, when they beat a jobber, who have they beaten? Nobody! The second rate shows like Superstars is ALL squashes, but it's been like that on telly since the territorial days, more of an exhibition of what a guy can do than a wrestling match, but other than that they do seem somewhat pointless, I mean, when has there ever been a good squash match.

Guest Jimmy Redman

There have absolutely been good squash matches. I've seen them and I live in an era where they barely exist.

The Ryback ones have all been good. The Drew/Trent ones from Jan 2011 were AMAZING. Umaga royally f*cked up some jobbers in his day.

Hmmm, okay, tell me where you saw these 5 star classic wrestling clinic of squash matches and i'll chase them up. It dosen't make them seem impressive since they've only beaten a jabroni. They seem somewhat irrelevant now though since they have proper matches on TV, but back in the day they'd save the proper matches for live events or PPVs, so that fans would spend their money.

Guest Jimmy Redman

Man, I am good with lists and even I am struggling to actually list individual squash matches, but here goes.

Drew McIntyre vs Trent Barreta, Smackdown 31/12/10, 14/1/11 and 21/1/11

Literally any of the Ryback squashes from the last few months, but the best one was Smackdown 27/4/12

Brodus Clay's comeback squash on Superstars 4/8/11

Great Khali vs Hawkins and Ryder, Smackdown 12/12/08 (seriously, one of my favourite Khali matches)

John Cena vs Matt Striker, Raw 31/7/06

Literally any Umaga squash from his 2006 undefeated run on Raw

This is hard.

Thanks a lot PS, I'm now going to drive myself crazy trying to think of notable squashes.

Edited by Jimmy Redman

Guest Ciaran The King

I was actually going to make a comment until I read ADC's post. If you don't understand the logic of a squash match then why are you commenting.

Jimmy has explained the concept pretty well to you but you just keep going on and on with nonsensical comments. Please stop.

Guest Jamster26
If you like Squash matches, then fair enough. I just don't like the whole idea behind it. Extremley boring to watch.

Yes, exactly, the whole idea of professional wrestling is that you get your moneys worth, a good solid, back and forth battle, not like in boxing or MMA where the main event could be over in 15 seconds. Also, what Jamster said. People don't watch wrestling to see squash matches.

Guest Magic
Wrestling exists to make money. Squash matches are used to build a wrestler for a match that could make millions. Without them, they wrestler in question wouldn't make as much money. The squash itself doesn't make money, it's what follows down the line. It's not that difficult a concept to understand.

Being entertained by a wrestling match is purely subjective, though. For every person who likes an old school classic grappling encounter, there's someone who wants to see a big dude wipe someone out in less than a minute. Then you've got folks who pop for comedy stuff, those who like the ladies matches, and the section of the audience that pops for John Cena/Hulk Hogan superman comebacks. Then there's folks who watch mostly for the storylines and the matches themselves are almost secondary viewing.

The key to being a great promotion is having something for everyone and doing that variety well. Arguing about squash matches will differ depending on the type of fan you are.

If entertainment is doing one type of thing over and over and over, you only cater to a small audience. deeser has it spot on.

You're the kind of person who'll bitch about squash matches, yet I bet you loved the 18 second Sheamus vs Bryan match at Mania.

There's got to be a massive difference between saying "I don't enjoy squash matches because they aren't proper matches " which whilst technically true misses the very obvious points Jimmy brought up about why they exist at all and saying "People don't watch wreastling to see squash matches" which doesn't even make sense.

People don't watch pro-wrestling to see their favourite wrestlers lose matches or to listen to the poeple they don't like cut promo's but their all vital parts of the overall "business" that makes everything work.

I mean look at it this way, you either have to just suck all the fun out of it and sit there judging everything on workrate in which case you'd still have to judge the squash on how well executed they are or you can take on all the favets of what pro-wrestling is all about in which case you'd already understand why squash matches are needed as part of the business.

If you're claiming to never have enjoyed a squash match, you're an idiot or you haven't seen much pro-wrestling. Who doesn't like a beserk giant beating the shit out of some random nobody every now and then.... the key point being, like all aspects of pro-wrestling, finding the right balance.

Guest Fatherof10minis

I like the idea of squash matches. A guy needs to get comfortable, find a groove in front of a live audience in order to succeed. Like when they rushed mason ryan out there with ziggler and looked like a goof.

Your right when you say ryback hasnt beaten anybody, that is true but, on the other hand ryback is one of wwes top stories right now. Hes exciting and comparable to the likes of goldberg who made a career on squash matches. How many notable guys did goldberg beat on his way to hogan. You cant name one single main eventer and yet goldberg became the hottest commodity in 1997-1998.

In the territory days a squash match was basically a training session like they would do in the gym but only in front a tv audience instead so you get the feel of what its like to be on the main stage. Its about experience and learning and honing your craft.

And if you want to watch good squash matches you need to watch old nwa shows and watch the likes of arn anderson, bobby eaton, tully blanchard and others and they can have an 8 to 10 minute squash match and it not be boring. They bring out their entire arsenal of offense and show you what they know and how smooth they can perform the moves. And its also a chance to debut new moves. And if your a heel you can really take a guy apart and make it look real bad and put yourself over as a bad dude.

Me personally dont mind squash matches, but with the way wwe runs raw and smackdown with too many commercials and too many promos, they dont have the room for them. They already dont put enough matches on raw as it is in my opinion.

If you wanna watch squashes, watch Superstars. I wouldn't mind them so much if occasionally a jabrino got an upset win, but it dosen't happen. It's more impressive and can show the abilities of a performer if they go out there and have a full length match.

Guest HH-Evolution

It's about making a DIRECT statement about the guy in question though - a big badass wrestler coming down into the ring and DECIMATING a guy who looks reasonably fit and capable in mere seconds. So no, it's not about having a match, it's about the IMPACT that results.

More people usually remember and discuss the prior scenario than another match in a show full of matches where not necessarily a lot happens other than the end.

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity