Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

THE UNDERTAKER - is once a year enough?

Guest Ciaran The King

Guest Ciaran The King

After what was another career defining performance at Wrestlemania 28, Undertaker once again vanished from our TV screens to only return when the time is right and to bulk the next WM PPV.

Although I respect the Undertaker massively do we as fans accept that the one off PPV appearance is enough for a man of his stature to make, should he be making more appearances over the year to justify his spot on the WM card over someone who wrestles week in week out and keeps the company going year to year?

I'm not saying the Undertaker hasn't earned the right or respect to make his own decisions but in these times when the company needs a helping hand should he not make the odd appearance at Summerslam, Survivor Series or the Rumble. I'm not expecting him to wrestle weekly on Raw or Smackdown but a feud with someone like Rhodes, Barrett or Ziggler would do wonders for them and even in defeat against the Undertaker they could be made to look strong in defeat.

This option came to me when discussing who could replace Orton in his absence, and at the moment there is no one with the credential's on SD to do it. As I said earlier I'm not expecting him to put in the same workload as Orton but his presence alone could do wonders for younger talent and surely more people would tune into to see the Deadman.

what does everyone else think?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Phil
Undertaker's body is absolutely battered, isn't that why he only does one match a year? I'd rather see him once and get a classic, than see him on TV every week and then get a below-par blow off match at Mania.

Guest Jimmy Redman

Yeah I have no problem with his yearly match. If it can save his body some and prolong his career then so be it, since his Mania matches are awesome. Its like he's not a part of the roster but a special Mania attraction, like the giant stadium or HOF.

And you have to remember, its only the last year in which he hasnt worked the rest of the year. He worked on Smackdown in late 2010.

Guest Fatherof10minis
I have no problem with one match per year either because he hasnt had a flop at a wrestlemania in i dont know how many years. I do miss him being involved in the shows more because he is my personal favorite. I dont want to see him getting into matches, but i think he could benefit alot of guys if he would take on an onscreen mentor/manager role similar to what flair did for orton and batista during the evolution era. You take a couple guys who are on the edge of making it huge like cody, barrett, dolph, and put the phenom in their corner and there stock would immediately go up.

Guest HH-Evolution

Whilst he doesn't need to be wrestling, as an alternative regular appearance idea, I'd like to see him stalk a few potentials for his mania streak...perhaps get a sense of him picking his next target as the year rolls by and keeping his pick a mystery.

Have him turn up or scout every so often with small teases or appearances until one night....*BOOOONG*, he comes out and finally 'throatslit' gestures at that years chosen victim.

I'd definitely love a little Undertaker markout moment on Raw/Smackdown every so often!

Guest Edgehead

Unfortunately wrestlers can't keep wrestling forever & Takers been in WWE for a massive 22 years, and he was in WCW before that.

He's had an amazing career but now its probably best that he only has a match once a year for the sake of his health as much as anything else.

And I think he has more than earned the right to a spot on the card at WM even if he is doing nothing else all year. After all he is a big part of what makes WM so special

Guest Ciaran The King

He's had an amazing career but now its probably best that he only has a match once a year for the sake of his health as much as anything else.

But wouldn't it benefit the PPV buys and garner interest if he was to take part in the major events. I would never expect him to take the battering he does at WM but a toned down version would be fine for the other big 3 PPV's

I think Takers one of the big names that may not be considered a big name draw these days, but essentially you know, his matches at Mania are going to make a lot of people buy the PPV as they're so stella. Even if the guys as beat up as he is, and he has been going some, I think there's still a huge spectacle to be made around seeing the Deadman LIVE.

Guest the HiTman
Taker isnt a PPV draw, I dont think his absence is really all that crucial.

Yes he is. I am living proof.

1 match a year is all he owes the wrestling world these days.

Fair play to him.

Guest Jimmy Redman
In what context?

In the context that he doesnt sell PPVs?

It was years ago that I found it out, but it was something like Undertaker has literally never popped a buyrate in this decade. He's a hugely over character, but he doesnt sell PPVs. Its hardly a knock because almost nobody does, but there it is.

You can argue Wrestlemania, but the one Mania that was built around his match (26) did a bad number. The Streak match is part of the overall package, like the fireworks I guess, but he doesnt move numbers on his own.

My point is that I doubt that his absence from most PPVs is affecting buyrates all that much.

Edited by Jimmy Redman

Guest Jack

I'd say that The Undertaker is becoming a draw but he isn't one yet. It sounds odd to say that at the very end of his career but his matches have a special feel to them now and he will start to attract PPV buys for his one off matches. Purely speculation from reading non-wrestling sites, but from everyone at WrestleMania, I'd imagine he was the second biggest draw there behind The Rock.

His matches are now guaranteed epics and as they're so rare, that will draw. I don't think he'll ever be a major PPV attraction but I do think he'll be someone the WWE can rely on to bring in extra PPV buys in a few years, just like Triple H and Michaels will be too.

Yeah, have to agree with Jack somewhat. While I watched Mania for The Rock, more than anything else, Taker's match was the next must see, because the streak matches, ever since the first match with Shawn really have become such huge huge spectacles.

You can argue the fact that no-one in wrestling today is a draw, because they usually don't base entire shows around a single superstars. WrestleMania was a lot different given the build for Rock vs Cena, and Extreme Rules somewhat too.

Guest The Beltster
Taker isnt a draw, if he wasnt on Mania it wouldnt lose an amount of buys that would matter.

Guest Fatherof10minis
His last 4 matches at mania against HBK and HHH seem to be like time capsules to a different era. They are nostalgic in a way to me. They have a totally different feel then the rest of the show.

Guest Ciaran The King
Taker isnt a draw, if he wasnt on Mania it wouldnt lose an amount of buys that would matter.

To be honest before the Edge match at WM, I never looked forward to any of his WM matches

Guest Jimmy Redman
I think you can give him credit for at least an arguable MOTN for every Mania since 21, aside from 22. Seven out of eight shows, not bad.

Guest Ciaran The King
I think you can give him credit for at least an arguable MOTN for every Mania since 21

Can you then argue that before WM21 the streak was a load of sh*t?

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity