Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

Your "Least" favorite matches of all time.

Guest Canned Heat

Guest Canned Heat

Now, i know it would be easy to just post generally terrible matches and use those as your answer, but that's not quite what i mean...

What is your least favorite "hyped" match. You know, a match that is generally considered a 4 or 5 star match that you just get nothing out of.

Here are some of mine..

Austin v Rock @ Wrestlemania 15.

Yes, it is a pretty damn good match, but it just doesn't have a great Wrestlemania feel to it. Austin was going through some problems at the time and I think you can really tell. Although the post match celebration with Hebner is awesome.

Rick Steamboat v Macho Man @ Wrestlemania 3

I understand that at the time, this was considered grade A+++, but it just doesn't hold up that well...

So...What ya got?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Canned Heat
Brock v Angle, WM19. Should have been epic but it just wasn't

I was soooo close to putting that.. Like, I typed it and erased it close...

Guest Da Showstoppa
Wrestlemania XX - Goldberg V Lesnar, I was really looking forward to an epic power match between the two. Boy was I disappointed.

Guest Ciaran The King
Wrestlemania XX - Goldberg V Lesnar, I was really looking forward to an epic power match between the two. Boy was I disappointed.

It has easily got to be one of WM's worst matches. Everyone wanted it but everyone hated it

Guest Da Showstoppa
It has easily got to be one of WM's worst matches. Everyone wanted it but everyone hated it

To be fair no-one expected either of them to phone it in like they did - let alone both of them.

Guest Ciaran The King
I never understood WWE's booking of Goldberg, they refused to book him in the same way as WCW did and let him become the phenomenon he was in WCW, yet they persist to push Ryback who will never be or reach the heights of Goldberg.

Guest Da Showstoppa
I never understood WWE's booking of Goldberg, they refused to book him in the same way as WCW did and let him become the phenomenon he was in WCW, yet they persist to push Ryback who will never be or reach the heights of Goldberg.

Because Goldberg wasn't made by Vince in the first place. Jericho is probably the only star guy WWF got from WCW and pushed properly (not counting Hunter and Austin, because WWF made them superstars)

Ryback is Vince's star to create, that's the difference. As soon as Goldberg was put in that stupid skit with Goldust, the end of his credibility was a matter of time.

Guest Jimmy Redman

Goldberg/Lesnar hardly fits the description since nobody on earth thinks its a great match. This isnt about hype going in, but about hype afterwards.

Seen that I just got done posting about it I will say here what I said in the other thread about Angle vs Benoit, Rumble '03.

It drives me INSANE. Literally insane.

The thing is, which is weird for me because its Angle, but the thing is that I really, really WANT to love it. I am so into the Angle/Benoit tag team and feud through '02, and this match was the culmination of the entire thing. I've spent years desperately trying to love this match, and I just dont. It is nothing special.

And I've finally realised why too. See, I thought my problem would be with overkill and finisher kicking. But it turns out the stretch was the best part of the match. The problem, it turns out, is that the body of the match was a whole bunch o' nothing. It was just...bleh. There was no flow to it, no story being told, no logical progression. It was just stuff. I do some stuff to you, you do some stuff to me, and we eat up 15 minutes so we can go into finisher kickouts. There wasnt even an attempt at a "scientific mat wrestling" segment or, really, anything that was more than just doing moves to each other. Benoit made a babyface comeback at one point so I guess they were pretending Angle had been getting heat on him, but he wasnt, it was just Angle's turn to do some moves for a few minutes.

And then BAM, lets trade Germans and kick out of finishers. Being unimpressed with this match is made worse by Tazz marking out bro over it, because it makes it seem even more forced. You cant even use the argument that it may seem passe now, but back then they'd never seen such overblown kicking before, because the entire preceding 6 months, the whole SD Six era was built upon that kind of OTT 'top this' finisher trading. This was their fourth singles match in the last 6 months alone. By this point if I never see another German suplex it will be too soon.

There is just nothing to the match. Last time I saw it I would have had no problem calling it a great match, but now I am not so sure. Its still not bad because the final minutes are exciting, if nothing else, but I'm really disappointed that after coming so close to figuring it out, I am now back to the drawing board.

Guest Frank Botch

I would agree with Angle/Benoit, been a long while since I watched it but last time around I felt pretty much the same, though I can't remember the finer (or not) points, I probably disliked the final few minutes more than you though.

I will pick Angle/HBK Mania whenever it was, full of overblown try hard epicness and poor selling and pacing. I'm not sure if it was this match or another thay had but one had Michaels outwrestling Angle on the mat at the start, just ridiculous stuff. Michaels/Jericho unsanctioned didn't feel like a fight, just a wrestling match with overdone weapon spots. Do people still like the Ironman match with Bret? Dull, dull, dull. Flair/HBK, not a good match. Bret/Austin from Mania I find to be overrated to an extent the crowd brawling was a little meandering, and seemed to be a waste of time to me. It's a great match (at least the parts after that) but their SS match is better. Hmm, I will return to this thread.

Guest Jimmy Redman

I agree with Angle/Shawn, although the first 10 minutes with Shawn outwrestling Angle is the best part of the match to me. I always have so much fun in the first half with the matwork and JR that it pisses me off all the more when it falls off a cliff at the end.

I have no problem with Angle being outwrestled if he's a heel, especially by someone portrayed as GOAT like Shawn. I thought the story they told with it (Shawn the veteran doing the unexpected to throw Angle off his game) was pretty great and JR sold the Holy hell out of it.

Guest Frank Botch
He's a veteran WWE wrestler but Angle is an Olympic wrestler who would destroy everyone on the roster, and we were constantly reminded of the fact. Michaels never really was hyped as a mat worker and I don't recall him working that way much at all after his comeback. I mean in the kayfabe sense it would probably throw Angle off for a second because it would be a moronic thing to do, then he would kill him. Maybe I am overthinking it/taking it too serious and unwilling to cut Angle or Michaels any slack. It's certainly possible.

Guest Jimmy Redman

Yeah I think you're overthinking it a little. Angle traded holds with loads of people and was outworked by a few, especially when he was a heel. Its not real.

Shawn was always (as in post-Comeback) pushed as a good wrestler in the holds sense, "catch as catch can" was the line JR always used, which was basically their way of saying "He has no amateur background but he's a really good wrestler." Not matwork as in on the ground, but as far as trading holds goes, sure.

I never found it unrealistic, anyway.

Guest Frank Botch
Yeah I think you're overthinking it a little. Angle traded holds with loads of people and was outworked by a few, especially when he was a heel. Its not real. .

I'm on all the forums overthinking this shit, I annoy myself sometimes. But stuff like that, broken back skinny old dude outwrestling olympian, annoys me as much as near fall overkill in the ''impossible to suspend disbelief'' sense.

I understand people not even caring about that though, I've discovered I'm part of a real minority when it comes to wrestling fandom.

Guest Jimmy Redman

Hey I'm not dissing overthinking. I overthink Divas matches for God sakes. And I am huge on Angle not using his gimmick properly in the ring and telling a logical story and all of that.

I just think in that specific example, it was fine. Shawn was positioned as enough of a wrestler that it didnt seem strange for him to outwrestle Angle. It was like it was Dave Batista doing it or something.

But when you come from your side of the tracks you tend to pick on guys like Angle and Shawn regardless :P

Guest Fatherof10minis
Im gonna go with rock vs cena. A years worth of hype from 2 iconic stars of their own time, main event at wrestlemania, and the match was just sort of average. To me there was soooo much hype put into this that it couldn't live up to what was expected. And then just like that, its all done and john cena is onto the next thing. I really wanted to see an angle where cena really struggled with this loss mentally. His promos leading up to mania would lead me to believe that if he did lose, he would be distraught, embarrassed, and mentally scarred. Instead (and i don't blame cena for this) it just seemed like business as usual for john and onto the next big name and now the loss to rock to me is no big deal when it should of been.

Guest Horowitz

This thread title can be abit misleading when you look at folks choices.

If we're talking least favourite, as in a match you never want to suffer through again, in recent memory I'd go for Cole V JR, Bret V Vince or something.

For most disappointing one I'd say Bret V Shawn iron man. I expected so much from it, and while I'd rather watch this a hundred times over Vince/Bret, it didn't deliver what I expected.

I mean, I can select tons of god awful bouts that I never want to see again, but I'm pretty sure all of them would be worse than one that was a big disappointment.

Whoever mentioned Savage/Steamboat, would you prefer to watch Vince/Bret, Goldust/Warrior, Dog shit-sorry, kennel match with Bossman/Snow, ANYTHING WITH SIN CARA for the rest of your life or would you gladly sit through Savage/Steamboat, Rock/Austin until the day you die?

Guest Jimmy Redman
Whoever mentioned Savage/Steamboat, would you prefer to watch Vince/Bret, Goldust/Warrior, Dog shit-sorry, kennel match with Bossman/Snow, ANYTHING WITH SIN CARA for the rest of your life or would you gladly sit through Savage/Steamboat, Rock/Austin until the day you die?

You've got it twisted. Its not about bad matches. Its about matches that are hyped as being great that you dont think are great. If you read the OP you get the point. Its got nothing to do with suffering through sh*tty matches.

I'm someone else in the Bret/Austin camp as well. I think its a case of way too much hype because going in cold and watching it, it never came close to the level it was hyped as to me. I will get around to giving it another go soon though.

Guest Ciaran The King

Going back to the Angle/Benoit 03 match I couldn't get into it either. I've gone back and watched it a couple of times and although it is a solid match I can never see why it has been praised so highly.

But for me personally Angle/Shawn really lived up to expectations

Guest Jimmy Redman
I think going on my last viewings of both matches, I'd take Angle/Shawn over Angle/Benoit too, which I certainly wouldnt have expected a week ago. Like I said at least I really love the first 10 minutes or so of WM21, which is more than I can say for the other match.

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity