Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

Bring your 1980s matches!

Guest Jimmy Redman

Guest Jimmy Redman

I decided to leave the Savage/Steamboat matches in their own thread and start a new one. Once again this is me going unusually nuts on old matches from anywhere I can find them. If you have 80s matches you really love, or think everyone should see, post them in here and I will try to get around to them all. Plus I'll be posting cool stuff I find in here.

Hulk Hogan vs Nick Bockwinkel, AWA 18/4/82

I do love me some Bock. One of my favourite really, really old guys. Him plus Hogan being Hogan brings the fun. LOVE the insanely great timing on Heenan's spot.

[video=youtube;UnbUA9WAkpg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnbUA9WAkpg

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I'm in work and youtube is blocked try to find Tully Blanchard Vs Magnum TA from Starrcade 1985.

Just shows how if a story is told well and the face and heel "hate" each other how good a match can be!!

• Heart 1

Guest The Beltster

I could watch Hogan vs Harley Race matches all day, every day and never get tired of them. Here's 2, I cant find the one where Hogan gushes blood really bad, but these are fun and Harley was well underrated in his WWF run as a bumper, especially considering his age and condition. NWA purists hated it that he was in the WWF and was saddled with a cartoon gimmick but he was great.

[video=youtube;3koRg7mWu1M]

[video=youtube;3kJgAommRS8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kJgAommRS8

Guest Edgehead
Love the way Heenan throws himself over the top rope in that first one. :) I'll check out the texas death match later

Guest Jimmy Redman

I have the WWE's Starrcade set (via Beltmark actually) so I will get to Magnum/Tully and the others in due time.

Race doesnt grab me at all but I doubt I've seen anything of his from WWF yet, interesting.

To complete my thought from above, Hulk Hogan vs Nick Bockwinkel, AWA 24/4/83

A longer match than the first, but I really like this as well. Bock in particular just beats the crap out of Hogan whenever he gets the chance. This one is also more historically significant since Verne screwing Hogan around with the title led to him losing Hogan to Vince soon after.

[video=youtube;E9zBzzlqZ-E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9zBzzlqZ-E

[video=youtube;MRclSWabbJY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRclSWabbJY

Guest Jimmy Redman

Hulk Hogan vs King Harley, SNME March 1988

Through my modern eyes its kind of funny to see Race basically no sell the table bump :lol

Anyway this was a fun short match. Race was fine bumping for all of Hogan's offense and I'm certainly not hating on him in this role. I like Hogan in this kind of wild, out of control frame of mind, where he comes across as a legitimately dangerous big brute of a man. Liked the crash bang wallop finish too.

As I'm in work and youtube is blocked try to find Tully Blanchard Vs Magnum TA from Starrcade 1985.

Just shows how if a story is told well and the face and heel "hate" each other how good a match can be!!

Was the the I quit match where Magnum TA just about gouged Blanchard's eye out with a wooden chair? If so that match was amazing. I was always a Magnum TA fan as a kid.

Guest Fatherof10minis

I prefer the 80s tag team scene compared to the singles scene as far as technical goes. Rougeaus vs british bulldogs at summerslam 88 was great. I am an on demand ssubscriber to wwe classics and they always have house shows that always have hidden gems for matches. I don't have any specific dates but look up these matchups.

Tag teams

British bulldogs v hart foundation

The rockers vs. The brain busters

Singles

Mr. Perfect vs. Ron garvin (garvin was such a heavy hitter)

Jake the snake vs. Ricky steamboat ( this was on an early saturday nights main event card.) I remember the buildup to this was jake ddting steamer on the outside and he was actually knocked cold. One of those most painful things to watch is ricky's head snapping back.

Guest Fatherof10minis
piper vs valentine starrcade

Was that the strap match from starrcade 83'? That match was brutal

Was the the I quit match where Magnum TA just about gouged Blanchard's eye out with a wooden chair? If so that match was amazing. I was always a Magnum TA fan as a kid.

Yeah the very one, one of the best cage matches ever IMO.

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity