Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

most important in wrestling history?

Guest 3BigDen

Guest 3BigDen

Through out history we have seen alot of personalities in wrestling but who is the most important to you?

Buddy Rodgers in my opinion because his colorful charisma turned wrestling into a brilliant direction. Hogan also ment alot to me because he catulpulted the industry in the direction of main stream.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Da Showstoppa

Austin. Because he made wrestling "cool" and acceptable to the mainstream and the 18-30 male demographic. His edge took away the common detractions like *oh you like that stuff, it's for babies" and "fat men in pink tights" kind of stuff.

You'd have to say Vince McMahon too. But "in ring" it's Austin, all day long.

Guest John Hancock
In terms of wrestlers, and not backstage people (I'd put Vince McMahon top of that list), I'd say Hogan is a runaway number one, with Austin second and any number of people third, from The Rock, to Billy Graham, to Bruno Sammartino, to Buddy Rogers, to Ric Flair, but, I think Hogan's number one. Hulk Hogan and Vince McMahon made pro-wrestling a bonafide, legitimate form of A-list entertainment. Without them, but the time Austin rolled around, no matter how talented he was, no one would be watching to make him the star he became. In the grand scheme of things, Hogan put the bums in seats, Austin kept them there, and whoever came after that, Trips or Cena or Benoit or whoever, made them leave.

Guest Fatherof10minis
In terms of wrestlers' date=' and not backstage people (I'd put Vince McMahon top of that list), I'd say Hogan is a runaway number one, with Austin second and any number of people third, from The Rock, to Billy Graham, to Bruno Sammartino, to Buddy Rogers, to Ric Flair, but, I think Hogan's number one. Hulk Hogan and Vince McMahon made pro-wrestling a bonafide, legitimate form of A-list entertainment. Without them, but the time Austin rolled around, no matter how talented he was, no one would be watching to make him the star he became. In the grand scheme of things, Hogan put the bums in seats, Austin kept them there, and whoever came after that, Trips or Cena or Benoit or whoever, made them leave.[/quote']

I tend to disagree with opne thing here. Hogan wasn't putting buts in seats when austin came along in 1995. Austins transformation of the business is equal if not bigger than hogans transformation because it became more of an obsession. Even when hogan was in his glory days in the 80s it was still considered nerdy or geeky to watch wrestling. When austin was on top everybody was talking wrestling, in school, at parties, and there was easier access to watch wrestling than in the 80s. I think austin is #1 and hogan #2 because nobody ever thought hogan could be equalled and austin was that guy who went above and beyond.

Guest Eddie
I think the point is that wrestling was made more mainstream through the McMahon/Hogan era, which meant WWE had a wider exposure than they would have without him, which would have resulted in Austin not being exposed to as many people and probably not garnering as much publicity and more than likely had Hogan not been around WCW probably wouldn't have been successful which would result in no Monday night wars and probably no attitude era, but It all is tied in really, no Hogan no Austin...

Guest Eddie
Well in fairness It's well documented that Russo's ideas were good in the wwe but he was utilized best when he has Vince filtering it, so you could thank him for some of the enjoyable angles/events he had a hand in, but then you could also take that hand and break it for a lot of the crap he's caused to come on our screens.

You cant say Hogan is the main reason wrestling is what it is TODAY, although Hogan was a.. or the main reason wrestling got HUGE! Then it was people like Austin, Bischoff (Yes.. Bischoff) Vince, The Rock, Cena who keep pushing it and pushing it.

You cant say Hogan is the main reason wrestling is what it is TODAY, although Hogan was a.. or the main reason wrestling got HUGE! Then it was people like Austin, Bischoff (Yes.. Bischoff) Vince, The Rock, Cena who keep pushing it and pushing it.

Or like that time Hogan turned heel and WCW really took off...wait a minute!!

As much as it kills me to have to admit it (and really, it does, because I f*cking HATE Hulk Hogan) Hogan is the "most important wrestler" that got the business to where it is today.

Most important person in wrestling is easily Vince McMahon though. He made it what it is today, whether that's a good or bad thing is a completely different conversation.

Guest John Hancock

But, without him, where would wrestling be? He was the figurehead of the WWF's rise to it's post-NWA, pre-WCW monopoly in the 80's and early 90's. It dipped back down after Hogan left, but the WWF never fragmented, and it was still always the biggest wrestling company (until, incidentally, Hogan started the NWO in WCW). When Austin and the Rock turned up, WWF over took WCW, but can you say that it would ever have been big enough for anyone to notice without Hogan and the Hulkamania/Wrestlemania era? Without Hogan, the WWF never takes over wrestling in the 80's, and is never in a position to showcase guys like Austin and the Rock to take them up to the heights of the Attitude Era. In terms of mainstream attention and popularity, the Golden Era and the Attitude Era are both equally at the tippy top of the "coolest" pro-wrestling's ever, ever been, and, without that first least, I think it's a hard case to say you can guarantee the second leap happening at all, irrespective of the talent at the time. In the ring, without Hogan, the WWF didn't have a thing to make it stand out from everyone else, Hogan and Vince McMahon effectively invented modern wrestling.

Andre the Giant. He was the first wrestler to cross into the mainstream as an international superstar. Without the acceptance of Andre Im not sure that wrestling would have ever made it outside of carny sideshows and regional TV. Sure Hogan made a bigger impact, but with the pun fully intended, shoulders of giants and all.

Guest Canned Heat

Vince put on the TV.

Hogan and Warrior let you know it was real (Hogan shirts all over)

Austin, Vince, Rock, and HHH had everyone watching.

Mainstream pro wrestling has all kinds of building blocks.

Gorgeous George and Lou Thez took over the fire hall.

Vince Sr and Bruno took over the gyms.

Vince Jr, Hulk, Warrior, and Andre took over the arenas and tv.

Vince Jr, Austin, NWO, Goldberg, and Rock took over the world.

Guest Jimmy Redman
Vince Russo no Russo no Austin? so do we all have Russo to thank for the massive era of wrestling?

Where exactly did you hear that?

And no.

And yeah, I think looking at it in the sense of "Without X there would be no Y", Hogan wins the argument. I dont think Andre being an attraction was really all that directly influential on Vince's plans to nationalise or his Hogan push. This was something entirely different. Without Hogan, Vince doesnt go national to the same extent. He still tries and still probably succeeds to some degree, but not like that.

But its not just the 80s either. Without Hogan going to WCW, WCW dont start competing with Vince, no Nitro, no Wars. Without Hogan turning heel, the nWo angle probably doesnt work nearly as well. And Without the nWo working as well as it did and Nitro beating Raw, you might not end up with Vince taking risks and going with Austin and fighting to win the Wars.

Guest Edgehead
Yeah credit for the attitude era tends to go to the likes of Austin & Rock but without Hogan's 1996 heel turn & nWo angle then there would have been no monday night wars & quite possibly no attitude era

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity