Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

Could anyone have been anyone?

Guest Jimmy Redman

Guest Jimmy Redman

The talk about "Anyone could have been Hogan" in the other thread got me thinking. Is there anyone for whom the phrase "Anyone could have been X" actually applies? Is there an example of someone in a significant role in history (not "Anyone could have jobbed to Ryback" level stuff) who brought so little to the table as a performer that they could have easily been replaced?

Because I dont think there is, basically. But I'm interested in who people feel would fit the bill and whether anyone can make a case for them being replaceable.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest John Hancock
No, basically. I think the majority of wrestlers who ever did anything well did it because they were naturally good at it. Triple H couldn't have been Steve Austin, Steve Austin couldn't have been The Rock, The Rock couldn't have been Mankind, Mankind couldn't have been The Undertaker, and The Undertaker couldn't have Triple H. I really, really, REALLY don't buy this attitude that every successful wrestler was just in the right place at the right time, and all credit should go to the gimmick alone.

Guest Pavitar

No. It takes a combination of things to get over.

1. The actual character or gimmick of the wrestler.

2. The wrestlers personality. Meaning their looks, etc.

To prove this theory correct, here's an example. X-Pac could not have been The Rock.

Guest Jayfunk

I do think timing is also key also, if something somes a long to early before the crowd is will to accept the change and it doesn't work, if something comes a long after the fact its too late to be massive, to me its

1) Natural Talent

2) Great Gimmick

3) Timing

HHH, Rock, Austin, Taker, all went through stages where the gimmick or timing wasn't right for them to shine. Also the closeness of other great talent can surpress chances HHH didn't get to the next stage until Austin was hurt but it can also have the opposite effect because with out the Rock would HHH been so big?

there are many more factors that make a superstar but i think the main three are above

Guest Will O the Wisp
Although I wouldn't say there is a wrestler that anybody could replace, there are wrestlers that could be replaced by significantly more people than others. It would be significantly more difficult to replace SCSA than it would be to replace Edge, for instance.

Thinking about it though, even the lesser gimmicks, i don't think anyone would have been able to be The Dudleyz, Crash Holly, Tazz, Raven etc.
I'd say, at a push, that Samoa Joe could've done the Taz gimmick (you could argue that he already has done it).

Guest John Hancock
Also, one of the selling points of Taz was that he was small, so the gimmick had another little edge to it in that, where as Samoa Joe would have been more one dimensional in the role because he's actually huge.

Guest Jimmy Redman
Jerry Blackwell was like Taz's outer Russian doll.

Quoting for awesome and for accuracy.

I'm still trying to think of someone we could make a case for, but honestly I cant think of anyone. Even if you go the "useless lug" route and say someone like Khali, it still doesnt work. His size in itself is freakish and unique and cant be replicated by finding another guy who is really, really tall. You need to have presence along with it and I think Khali has that, even though a lot of us look at him and think "rubbish", most people who arent us were legit captivated by him. I dont think you could have plugged, say, Eli Cottonwood into Khali's spot and made an equally convincing world champion.

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity