Wrestling

How do you like your commentary?

Guest ADC

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Beltster
Who cares about English commentary? Live commentary is best, not overdubbed.
Uhhh, I care about English commentary, you know, because I'm ENGLISH!!!! I cant understand Japanese for a start, and that aside, all they do is excitedly scream and shout which makes it unbearable. You may like it, fair enough, but I dont, hence why I said it. Obviously.

It's very rare for me to watch a match that's not in English. It's extremely irritating not to here anything in your own language. It's just noise otherwise.

Guest Jimmy Redman

I dont find it irritating. I kind of like the puro style of announcing where they are kind of low key to start with and then when the match peaks the guy just screams "ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" in complete shock. Especially if I am also screaming my head off.

To me the only drawback is that you theoretically lose whatever information the announcing is getting across about the match to give it some added story and sense.

But having watched a fair bit of puro by now, I can honestly say the non-English announcing has ever affected my viewing of a match.

To me the only drawback is that you theoretically lose whatever information the announcing is getting across about the match to give it some added story and sense.

This is what puts me off. I want to know more about what's going on, but because I can't understand anything other than LARIATOOOOOO!! it stops me getting invested as much in the match. I find I watch Puro more for just crazy moves, than to keep up with any wrestler in particular.

Guest Will O the Wisp
It's very rare for me to watch a match that's not in English. It's extremely irritating not to here anything in your own language. It's just noise otherwise.

#BookerT

Guest John Hancock

I'll take the Japanese babbling and then screaming the name of a move in broken English over any commentary team of the last four years in the entire English speaking world.

If anything, I'd much MUCH rather have subtitles that over-dubbing. As a fan of non-English movies, I can say that over-dubbing is almost universally f*cking awful.

I'll take the Japanese babbling and then screaming the name of a move in broken English over any commentary team of the last four years in the entire English speaking world.

I dunno, I'm a sucker for a good colour commentator. I love it when guys like Punk, or Ultramantis Black are working commentary on a match I'm watching. Having JBL back at NoC and Raw was probably the best commentary I've heard all year though.

EDIT: Wow, split a thread from a thread that had already been split from a thread.

INCEPTION!!

Edited by dsrchris

I don't like overdubbing, because it's normally done years later, by some smart mark who isn't really even a proper commentator. Subtitles would be interesting, I have no idea what they're saying other than when they say names and moves, like "Blaaaiiiinbutaaaaah" or "Explodaaah!".

Guest The Beltster

I hate listening to foreign commentary, because to me, its 100% pointless. If I cant understand it, it may as well just have the sound track of a baby babbling or crying or a dirty, filthy smack head having a drug induced fit playing over the top.

I watched Hogan/Hansen with the original commentary and it was annoying, I watched it with Mooney and Alfred Hayes, who werent even very good, and it was much much much better.

I dont watch foreign films, I hate that shit and subtitles piss me off. English or nothing.

I haven't quite got used to lucha libre commentary a bit, infact it's put me off the idea of watching to be honest, although I haven't really watched much, I think it's the way they roll their r's.

I'm on the Puro commentating bandwagon. I've watched so much of it that it seems natural at this point. Friends and family are used to it by now too. They used to ask me what the hell I was watching, now they usually come in, sit down and watch and mark out when there's a LARIATOOO or BRAINBUSTAHHHH!

Same with Lucha. I grew up in a Mexican household so it just sounds like my mom gossiping with her friends. I know Spanish, but I have to focus to understand because they talk so damn fast.

Any other foreign language commentary I can do without.

Guest John Hancock

Spanish commentary is brilliant for everything. When Michael Cole was at the height of his madness, I used to watch RAW in Spanish and it was f*cking great. I understood JUST enough to hear what was going on, and the rest was just fun, excitable noise and rolled r's.

I still watch CMLL on the Spanish sports channel, which is in thick, THICK Mexican-Spanish, and I can barely understand a word of it, but the Mexican accent has a certain atmosphere too it which just compliments the general lucha-vibe. English commentary on lucha-libre would be like Rammstein lyrics being translated; Sure, I'd understand it better, but it would be instantly incredibly f*cking boring.

Gregorian chanting should be in Latin, Canadian rap music should be in French, scary military songs should be in Russian, puro commentary should be in Japanese, lucha commentary should be in Spanish. And the fact that, as I said, I honestly don't remember the last English-language commentary pairing that didn't have me clawing for the mute button (apart from people like Regal or Punk who, lets be honest, added f*ck all to the actual wrestling other than burying it and were just funny in their own right) doesn't make me particularly nostalgic for commentary I can understand.

Japanese commentary is something I can ignore during one off matches but I wouldn't want to sit through an entire show of it again. It's not just because they're talking in a language I don't understand, I also don't like the enthusiasm they have. Far, far too loud when it's inappropriate. It becomes annoying after a short while. I'm usually sat there after 5 minutes thinking "...ok, I'm done, shut the f*ck up".

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity