Stone Cold Steve Austin or The Rock?

Guest Jimmy Redman

Who is better?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better?

• Steve Austin is better
    • The Rock is better

Guest Jimmy Redman

After the Cena/Angle thread I thought we could do some more of these polls to see where the TWO common sensibility lies regarding a whole bunch of wrestlers, starting with these two.

Both the megastars of the Attitude Era.

Both known for their characters and memorable promos and angles.

Both worked with a lot of the same guys.

Who do you prefer?

The Cena/Angle thread was about matches only because I wanted that specific answer. This one can be judged on ANYTHING, in ring, matches, promos, angles, moves, overall, facial hair, etc. However you want to compare them. BUT can I just say, coming up with "well obviously X because X was a bigger star/sold more t-shirts" kind of arguments will get you a squirt in the eye from my water pistol here. I dont want an historical debate, I want to know who you, personally, prefer as a wrestler.

Have at it. Please state your reasons.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest John Hancock

Who do I prefer? Growing up, it was The Rock. I think I had a pretty strict code of justice when I was little, and I didn't like Austin attacking McMahon in hospital, or beating up Mankind at Survivor Series '98 for no reason. His tweener-ness offended my youthful sensibilities.

I liked The Rock because he was funny and more traditionally (I suppose) charismatic.

Austin just seemed like a thug to me, and I had a tough time supporting him for that. I mean, don't get me wrong, I loved him, but, believer-in-wrestling that I was, I wanted him to just tone down his mean-ness to people a little bit :(

So, yeah, personal preference, circa late-1990's, The Rock.

NOW, I'd pick Austin, just because either The Rock has completely lost it, or I was just the perfect age for him in the late-90's, because his appearances over the past two years or so have been kinda lame for me, all the wacky catch-phrases and stuff like that which I'm sure, 15 years ago, were what I liked best about him. I think Austin's just a better character for grown-ups, and The Rock's better for kids.

Honestly, since Hulk Hogan, I think The Rock is the best child-friendly gimmick wrestling's had. If my ten year old son idolised The Rock, I'd think he was a bad motherf*cker, where as, if he idolised John Cena, I'd punch him in the face. He was that perfect image of what being cool is like when you're 13, and Austin was the perfect image of what being cool is like when you're 30.

So I voted Rock, because I care more about how I felt about wrestling when I was 12 than how I currently feel.

PS: I also realise that in terms of personal-opinion-less greatness, Austin was, in the grand scheme of things, better and more important.

I'm kind of exactly like DSR on this one. The Rock was the biggest thing I enjoyed around his prime but Austin is more watchable to me now as I appreciate wrestling in a different light. A bit like enjoying Shrek the first time you watch it and then watching it again and picking up all the little jokes put in for the adults. So Rock is Shrek and Austin is Puss in Boots I guess.... :D

Always Austin for me. I can't explain it because, much like Hancock, I have no time for bullies and big meanies, but in 1998 when I was 12 and the Attitude era was in full swing Austin was the man. I always found the Rock too overbearing with his promos and stuff. Plus, he came across as a right c*nt after beating the shit out of Mankind with a chair at Royal Rumble 99. Even now whenever everyone mentions how great the Rock is all I can think about is how dickish he was back then.

So yeah, Austin was always my favourite number one guy. It's weird because, outside of the ring, Austin was a proven wife beater, yet I still like him over the Rock, who I can't forgive for beating up Foley, who proved numerous times he could a beating and stay standing. Bit worrying that.

I'm kind of exactly like DSR on this one. The Rock was the biggest thing I enjoyed around his prime but Austin is more watchable to me now as I appreciate wrestling in a different light. A bit like enjoying Shrek the first time you watch it and then watching it again and picking up all the little jokes put in for the adults. So Rock is Shrek and Austin is Puss in Boots I guess.... :D

You mean Hancock? :lol

I love me some old Rock. New Rock with the whole boots 2 asses, and TRENDING WORLDWIDE proper p*sses me off.

I think I was always more of a Rock fan than an Austin fan, as The Rock always seemed to ooze a kind of effortless cool about everything he did, even as a heel. Don't get me wrong, Austin was awesome, but I'd say the Rock was a huge influence on everything I wanted to do in wrestling myself.

Austin is better, in EVERY conceivable way, Rocky, with all due respect, dosen't even begin to compare. I could elaborate, maybe later.

Guest Canned Heat

Of course, I will choose Austin..

1) Ring Work.... I'll go with Austin. Obviously Rock is more athletic, but Austin's story telling in the ring is phenomenal.

2)Mic Work....I'll go with Austin, but slightly. I just think if Rock's promo isn't pre-written, it's not as good. Both he and Austin have catch phrases, but the difference is Austin came up with his, and the Rock's were thought of in creative. Also, Rock seems lost sometimes when he can't use his catch phrases. Austin can go off the dome effortlessly. The 1 promo that gives Austin the edge over Rock is the Tyson segment. Austin made you believe that he was the baddest sombitch on planet earth that night, even though he was in the ring with Tyson. He's unbelievable.

3)Importance...Austin. Austin Broke the records in 1998-1999, but then the Rock broke those records in 2000. I atribute that 100% to Austin bringing newcomers into wrestling from 97-99. Austin brought in the eyes, and the Rock took advantage.

It was close, but i believe that even in a non biased opinion, Austin should be the choice.

Guest Hanahbananabob
Definitely Rock for me. Was never really keen on Austin, not too sure why though lol. Just in general prefer Rock's wrestling and for me he is better on the mic. Although Austin & Kurt Angle singing is probably one of my favourite segments ever :P

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity