Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

Austin / Punk video

Guest Inno

Apparently, this video was uploaded to YouTube yesterday then swiftly pulled as it was "the wrong one". Someone saved it (natch) and it was reloaded here: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/10/04/wwe-to-be-the-quot-greatest-video-game-in-the-history-of-technology.aspx

Whether the game or not is good... I want to see Punk vs. Austin. I want a full build up like Cena vs. Rock had. I want these two trading shots and promos for as long as it takes. Loved this vid.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was just coming here to mention this, but I couldn't find the video. Cheers Inno! :D

Surely this match HAS to happen now? Both Punk and Austin have been teasing it like crazy for a good long while now, so I'd be very surprised if it didn't happen somewhere down the line. Ideally I'd love to see Punk beat The Rock at Mania for the title, then come out the next night on Raw and brag about it...until the glass smashes and Austin arrives to raise some hell.

*spooge*

Guest Jayfunk

to be fair CM Punk is pretty much the only reason to watch the E, great talker great wrestler and for once in the E a great worker

Problem with Punk vs Austin is that its basically rebel vs rebel and IMHO when things are the same they don't work as well as differences like gaint vs small guy etc

I struggle to find what is so dislikable in CM Punk to some people. I mean, if you don't like the guy then that's your opinion absolutely but there's a few reasonable number of people who seem to have a real hard on about hating on him (that's not aimed at anyone here by the way just a general observation). I just don't understand what is so bad about the guy that people wouldn't consider big time feuds with him of any interest at all and he hould not be in the position he's in.

I watched Rock V Cena (admittedly for free after the fact) and that wasn't even (for me anyway) the most entertaining build I've ever seen. Punk V Austin excites me more simply from the off than that feud because I think promo wise it would be just that little bit tighter plus I think they would both compliment each other.

Guest The Beltster

I can tell you why I don't like him if you like. He's small, he doesn't look like a wrestler, he has an annoying face and voice, his promos are severely overrated as is his in ring work, he has no star aura and he's only in the spot he's in right now because all the real stars are gone. The roster is so thin now that he can be the champ, during any of the boom periods he would have been a mid carder or a jobber. He has a massive ego which he really hasn't done anything to deserve having, he thinks he's the greatest thing ever. The guy has such a high opinion of himself it's crazy. There is nothing I find likeable or even remotely interesting about him, he's a channel changer for me.

That's just speaking for myself of course. If people like him, great.

I think Punk would fit in fine during the Attitude Era. The problem he has is that he's an edgy character who is badly let down by the PG restrictions. If he had a licence to go out and do whatever he wanted to do or say, he'd be a much stronger character than he currently is but the restrictions placed upon him limit what he can do. His ROH work is far superior to what he's been doing in the WWE. Look at the great angles with Jimmy Rave or Raven. They were brilliant because he was given a free reign which suits his character.

I still like him in the WWE, don't get me wrong, but he's the wrong type of character to restrict. He comes across as awkward a lot of the time. Can you imagine D-X or Austin in the PG era? Or do a quick comparison between The Rock in his prime compared to now. Some guys suit those limitations, like Cena, but with others, it ruins them. I don't think it's "ruined" CM Punk but he's clearly swimming against the tide. He's a cool guy who is forced to call other wrestlers "goat face"...I mean, come on. Can you imagine someone like CM Punk saying that in real life? Never in a million years.

As a talker and a wrestler, I think he's perfectly fine though. His promos are always good and despite his sloppy style, he can have some entertaining matches. I missed most of the SES run but from the glimpses I have seen, that's how I'd like him to be in the future.

Guest Jamster26
I missed most of the SES run but from the glimpses I have seen, that's how I'd like him to be in the future.

That's when Punk was at his best I think.

How should a wrestler look, exactly?

I don't want to put words in Belty's mouth, but his favourite era is when the wrestlers were larger than life man mountains. Wrestlers were always HUGE guys, and that seems to me just how Belty's used to them being.

I've got no preference over the size of the guy, but they have to have something character-wise that clicks with me. In a way Belty is right that guys like Punk, Bryan, Rhodes, and maybe even Ziggler wouldn't have got a look in during the 80's because of them being seemingly "small".

I think the main thing I like about Punk is that he doesn't look like a conventional "wrestler". He's different, but good different. I like his promo style, but I can certainly see why it wouldn't work for some people. I like his in ring style, but I can definitely see why people think he's sloppy. Also no doubt he does have a big ego, but to paraphrase what Belty said about Hogan, ego is mostly self preservation in the business so you can't really blame him. If you don't have some kind of ego, then you don't really get anywhere.

Jack made a good point about the PG restrictions on Punk (and how the Rock compares to his former self too), and you have to believe that if he hd have been around during the Attitude Era, then he'd have had a lot more about his character. Right now he's just doing what he can with the cards he's been dealt.

I also agree that CM Punk as the mad cult leader is one of my favourite "personas" for him. That's why I'd love to see him and Heyman put some kind of faction together. He's always awesome when he has minions to do his bidding! :D

Guest Jimmy Redman

He travels with Kofi on his bus. A lot of top guys have buses now. And everyone makes their own travel arrangements anyway, its not like they're all sitting on an imaginary team bus while Punk is off by himself.

But hey, scumbag!

Does CM Punk really not travel with the boys, does he have his own tour bus? What a scumbag.
So if you have your own mode of transport between cities for shows, you're a scumbag??

What about when the champion was booked on First Class flights while the other wrestlers were in "coach"? Does that make the WWF/WWE champion a scumbag regardless of who it is because he wasn't sitting with the other wrestlers?

If that is of his own demands, and nobody else did, then it'd be mighty unprofessional of him. Bret Hart always travelled with the others and shared their hotel room, even when he was on top.

Jack made a good point about the PG restrictions on Punk (and how the Rock compares to his former self too), and you have to believe that if he hd have been around during the Attitude Era, then he'd have had a lot more about his character. Right now he's just doing what he can with the cards he's been dealt.

I also agree that CM Punk as the mad cult leader is one of my favourite "personas" for him. That's why I'd love to see him and Heyman put some kind of faction together. He's always awesome when he has minions to do his bidding! :D

Exactly. If Austin was around now, he wouldn't be anywhere near as good as he was in the late 90s and can you imagine the Hulk Hogan character trying to get over during the Attitude Era? It wouldn't work at all. Wrestlers will always thrive when they're in an era which suits them. Cena is fine right now, and he'd be fine in the late 80s, but stick him in the Attitude Era and he'd have been hated by 95% of the crowd. Punk is an edgy character trying to fit in a PG brand, so there are massive conflicts there which hurt his character. I really wish we could see him be edgier but he can't adjust the entire direction of the company.

I love that idea too. I'm thinking a modern take on Ravens Flock or something like that would be great. Any ideas who you'd like in such a group, mate?

Guest Jimmy Redman

Well the thing about eras is that we're talking the character, not the person. Hogan DID get over in the 90s, because he turned heel and became edgy to suit the era. If Cena or anyone else from PG world had to work in the Attitude Era, obviously he'd be edgy, like he was in 2003.

If that is of his own demands, and nobody else did, then it'd be mighty unprofessional of him. Bret Hart always travelled with the others and shared their hotel room, even when he was on top.

A lot of the top guys have buses - Orton, Show, Rey, etc.

And Punk travels with Kofi and shares with him. Its no different to two guys sharing a car and a hotel room, except here they're on a bus.

I meant dressing room, not hotel room, lol.

Anyway, I only meant if he had it written into his contract, on TV WWE haven't really even treated him like he's one of there "top guys".

I love that idea too. I'm thinking a modern take on Ravens Flock or something like that would be great. Any ideas who you'd like in such a group, mate?

Oh man, now you're asking difficult questions...I'm gonna have to have a think about that and get back to you.

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity