Ryback - A Real Superstar?

Guest Ciaran The King

Ryback, A Real Superstar?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Ryback, A Real Superstar?

• Yes
    • No

Guest Ciaran The King

How good do we all consider Ryback to be?

At a time when WWE is crying out for new stars and the next big thing is Ryback just that. Is he all that WWE envisage him to be, can he be the difference maker in the current WWE landscape?

Personally I feel Ryback is just a phase and I can see him going the same way as Tensai, Brodus Clay, Great Khali, Snitsky,Kozlov and others who have been portrayed as unstoppable big men only to fall into mediocrity and comedy acts.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for new acts trying to break through and make a name for themselves but not when it directly affects actual talent who could be making a difference.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What Ryback has got over the rest of those chaps is that the fans love him.

Ryback can be something big with the current product. They just got to keep pushing him and give him clean wins in progressive fueds.

Not give him dity defeats with distractions as that will wash the glow off him while he's hot.

For example let him kill the ref quickly on Monday.

Guest Canned Heat
His appeal is his newness. They are pushing a new monster babyface. I like him, but every week when I see what the writers are doing for him, I start to dwindle on how much i really like him. Over the past 3 weeks he has been booked terribly in my opinion.

Guest The Beltster
No, he isnt a real star. At the moment, he is a guy who is over because he's been booked as a winner and he's fresh. Lets see if we are still talking about Ryback in 12 months and lets see if he is still a main event guy then, then maybe there will be something to talk about. There's only so far have a vocabulary of 3 words and no proof of any mic skills will take you in the long run.

Depends on what yopu define as a "real" superstar (as if it had any real meaning in the first place). If you mean, is he a big deal right now then yes he is a superstar (until we see any evidence WWE are dropping him like a bag of manure). If you mean is Ryback going to be a superstar for a long time like a Rock/Austin/Hogan/Michaels type then clearly no. If you think about it those guys are actually A-typical in terms of a wrestling career, most guys never get that level of success so is it really fair to say you are a superstar only if you match up to the very top level? If you care to compare ryback's career to say that of your average wrestler he's a superstar in the main event of RAW and PPV's.

Guest Ciaran The King
And he never will be in that league, Ryback is so undesurving of his spot that it's a slap in the face to talent like Ziggler and Barrett

Guest Jimmy Redman

F*ck's sake.

It is unclear to me what the question actually is. Is he a superstar? Obviously not. Can he be a superstar in the future? Almost certainly not, if we're using 'superstar' to mean the upper echelon guys. But can he be a difference maker? In the current environment, yes he absolutely can. He's someone different, he has momentum and got over very quickly. If they keep going with him he can be a main eventer and possibly make an impact, even in the short term.

Guest The Beltster

Superstar, to me, is a guy who has all or a combination of the following: they have to be hugely over and some sort of name recognition/value among the vast majority of wrestling fans, has at least a degree of longevity as a main eventer (12 months minimum) and, ideally, can draw money and help business to an above average degree when he is used on top. You don't have to be Hulk or Austin because those sorts of comparisons are unfair and retarded.

Superstar is a term thrown around too easily, as is legend. People use the word legend now in place of the term old fart. If you're old now, fans call you a legend. Trust me, Nikolai Volkoff is NOT a legend! Superstar is a term used to replace the word wrestler by Vince, but not all wrestlers are superstars and as of right now, Ryback is definitely not a superstar.

Guest Jimmy Redman

Yeah, agreed to all of that.

My point is that Ciaran seems like he's trying to piece together an argument that says "Is he a superstar? No. Well therefore they shouldnt push him and I'm right." Like, they are two separate arguments. Obviously he's not a superstar. That doesnt mean WWE shouldnt keep pushing him at the moment and see if they can make even a short term star while he's hot.

Guest Edgehead
No Ryback isn't a "superstar" but then neither is Ziggler or Barrett, and Ryback is way more over than either of them (apart from when Barrett is in the UK) so they are right to push him ahead of those guys....at least for the time being

Guest Ciaran The King
No Ryback isn't a "superstar" but then neither is Ziggler or Barrett' date=' and Ryback is way more over than either of them (apart from when Barrett is in the UK) so they are right to push him ahead of those guys....at least for the time being[/quote']

But is it not idiotic booking to not have your MITB holder and potential World Champion in a more prominant position?

Guest Edgehead
But is it not idiotic booking to not have your MITB holder and potential World Champion in a more prominant position?

Yeah they have booked Ziggler poorly I'll give you that. As Mr MITB they really shouldn't be jobbing him out week after week

Guest Jimmy Redman

Yes, but that has absolutely, positively nothing to do with Ryback.

Ryback is over now, once he losses cleanly his appeal will be dead

Well Duh.... :roll

No, you push the guys who are most over with the crowd because being over means people want to see you. Whatever you think Barrett is he is NOT as over as Ryback is right now so why would you push the guy the general audience care about less than the guy they pop for? It's like Jimmy said you are trying very hard to find a reason why WWE shouldn't push Ryback which makes no sense currently.

Guest John Hancock

It's a gimmick that hasn't really been done for a while, which is always good, and it was going somewhere, but he needed to beat some people who mattered before the Punk thing. Don't get me wrong, the Punk thing was fine, everyone has to lose eventually, and I think they did it quite well, but it needed more build (a comment that could be applied to just about everything), and it needed Ryback to look like a more legitimate threat.

He beat a billion midcarders. Oooooooooh. Tough guy.

I get that the roster is ridiculously thin of credible people, so, off the top of my head, I have no actual examples of upper-midcarders or lower-main eventers that you could use in this situation, but I'm sure there are some.

But, yeah, the gimmick needed more time. Now he's just Johnny Big-Traps, with nothing all that interesting going for him. The whole Goldberg thing, which this so overtly is that WWE take away people's Goldberg signs now and mute out "Gooooldberg" chants, only worked because it went on a while and Goldberg beat people who mattered. The streak didn't last long enough, or involve anyone big enough to be interesting enough to make him a main-event guy in itself, which is what happened with Goldberg, and the "loss" to Punk, artful as it was, just makes him another angry looking steroid addict in the kingdom of angry looking steroid addicts.

Guest Jamster26
That's my issue with Ryback. He went from beating a million jobbers and Jack Swagger, to being in the main angle in WWE and contesting for the WWE title.

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity