Fan Clubs (beta)

Stand-up Comedy

Guest bigmatt

Guest bigmatt

It's nearly Christmas and so tens, if not hundreds of stand-up comedians have a DVD out for the Christmas market.

Are there any you are looking forward to?

Any on the Christmas wish list?

Or more generally who are your favourite stand-ups at the minute?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've watched the Kevin Bridges one, and it was excellent. I love that man, and he's probably my favourite out there at the minute.

I also saw Jon Richardson live at the Fringe, and he was class, he'd be my second favourite and I'll get his DVD. I will also probably look out for Danny Sloss's seen as he's a friend of mine, even though I don't find him all that funny truth be told.

Yeah Jon Richardson is a good shout, probably because he's one of the few comics I can relate to.

Daniel Sloss isn't funny at all, sorry.

I quite like Seann Walsh, but haven't seen a DVD of his yet. Aside from that, the only mainstream comic I like is Lee Evans. Others have bits and pieces that I find funny, but I struggle to watch a full DVD.

Oh I know he's not :lol

It's infuriating!

I can also related to Jon Richardson. I watch his stuff, and think, yeah... that's me...

Edit: Though I don't find Lee Evans funny at all, I've never enjoyed him.

Edited by Magic

Guest bigmatt

I've not seen any Des Bishop but I remember hearing good things about that James Bond show he was doing.

I like Jon Richardson a lot too. He's real and authentic and has a genuine world view. Very funny too. I've only seen bits and pieces of Kevin Bridges but have liked what I have seen. He seems to be about to become a big star.

I've hardly seen anything of Daniel Sloss so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He's got a big pushy management team apparently that are trying to make him big.

I like Jon Richardson a lot too. He's real and authentic and has a genuine world view. Very funny too. I've only seen bits and pieces of Kevin Bridges but have liked what I have seen. He seems to be about to become a big star.

I've hardly seen anything of Daniel Sloss so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He's got a big pushy management team apparently that are trying to make him big.

I'd recommend Kevin Bridges to no end, but I'm Scottish and really get his humour, where as I don't know if people from down south would as much.

And yeah I've met Danny's manager, Marlene. She's quite a scary woman :lol Swears like a trooper.

But they're really behind and think he's the next big thing. He's not really my kind of humour though. There's a couple other guys with MZA called Kai Humphries and Mark Nelson who are both better than Danny in my opinion. Both worth checking out. Kai supported Danny's tour.

Guest bigmatt
I'd recommend Kevin Bridges to no end, but I'm Scottish and really get his humour, where as I don't know if people from down south would as much.

And yeah I've met Danny's manager, Marlene. She's quite a scary woman :lol Swears like a trooper.

But they're really behind and think he's the next big thing. He's not really my kind of humour though. There's a couple other guys with MZA called Kai Humphries and Mark Nelson who are both better than Danny in my opinion. Both worth checking out. Kai supported Danny's tour.

Every time I have seen anything of Kevin Bridges he has made me laugh. And he seems to have "funny bones" as they say so I definitely want to watch more of him. I might pick up his DVD and watch that TV show he did.

Yeah, that wasn't a dig at Daniel Sloss, I just remember reading quite a few older stand-ups bitching about things his management were doing, so I relayed the dig if anything :lol

I've hardly seen anything of him, so I'll give him a go. I'll keep my eye out for Kai and Mark, thanks for the recommendation.

Phil - No DVD of Seann Walsh this year. I don't think he's at that stage yet. It's Jack Whitehall's first DVD this Christmas and he seems to have been annoying me for years.

Kai's a Geordie and has that natural kind of funny bones as you put it, about him. And Mark Nelson is just an angry Scotsman which is right up my street!

I'll never forget a line he did that had me destroyed. I was at one of his shows a couple years ago, and it was quite quiet, and he just went, "Have you ever had that feeling when you're walking down the street, and you just want to kick a toddler?" I think I was the only one laughing and going, "Yes!", and he looked at me and went, "This guy knows. Speak to me after the show mate, we'll go down Princes Street punting weens!"

Loved it.

I would say Kai is more likely to make anything of himself, Mark's a bit older and has been on the circuit for years, I kind of feel like his time is running out.

And I actually really like Jack Whitehall these days. I'm as surprised at that as any. But I think I might watch his DVD.

There's another guy who I seen at the Fringe this year by pure chance, named Steve N Allen. He was doing a free show, his whole schtick is kinda satire current affairs. His stand up is a bit Russell Howard's good news but with a touch more vulgarity. Anyway, he was brilliant. He's small time, so won't have a DVD, but definitely worth checking out. I'm looking forward to seeing him at the Fringe again next year.

Guest Anime Otaku
I don't watch much stand up, I prefer more sketch and improv style comedy (also jealousy issues) probably get my dad Frankie Boyles's DVD though, went to see him in Glasgow and he was really funny.

Guest Fatherof10minis
I don't know if any of you r fans of old standup, but if you want something raunchy but also sounds intelligent i reccomend anything george carlin from the 70s 80s or early 90s stuff. great stuff.

Guest Anime Otaku
I don't know if any of you are fans of old standup, but if you want something raunchy but also sounds intelligent i recommend anything george carlin from the 70s 80s or early 90s stuff. Great stuff.

This! Bill Hicks and Wanda Sykes are really good too.

I'm not buying any DVDs this side of Christmas. They charge you silly money for them because of people buying them as presents, then they're instantly half price come boxing day.

And yeah, I love me some stand up. I recommend Bill Hicks, Doug Stanhope, Jim Smallman, Sean Lock, Sully O'Sullivan, Sarah Silverman, Nick Helm, George Carlin (never forget the first time I heard Rufus swear!), Richard Pryor, Lenny Bruce, Dara O'Briain, Daniel Kitson, Dylan Moran, Stewart Lee, Bill Bailey, and lots more.

Plus there's a load of new(ish) guys like Nathan Caton, Craig Campbell, Felicity Ward, and a whole heap of others I can't think of right now...yes, I'm a comedy nerd. And proud of it.

Anyone up for a stand up appreciation thread, or shall I just start posting videos here? :lol

Yes to Craig Campbell! Just yes, could have seen him a few years back for a tenner! But due to work couldn't then again could have seen him supporting Frankie Boyle but again couldn't due to work.......Stupid work. I like loads of stand up really, I'm easily pleased most of the people from The old mock the week make me laugh. Rhod Gilbert, Dara O'Briain, Russell Howard, Michael Mcintyre, Frankie Boyle, Kevin Bridges, Sean Lock and Peter Kay all come to mind but there's a few I can't stand firstly Andy Parsons and also I don't get the fuss about lee Evans the man just doesn't entertain me at all

Guest John Hancock

I can't stand British stand up. Outside of Stewart Lee, the entire industry is completely dead and artless, and it's pretty much entirely Peter Kay and Mock the Week's fault. There is a special place in hell for them.

The only place in the world making really high quality stand up comedy right now is the Boston/New York/New Jersey "Virus" clique; Louis C.K., Joe Rogan, Jim Norton, the late Patrice O'Neil, Nick Di Paolo, Colin Quinn, Doug Stanhope, Amy Schumer, Kevin Smith, Bill Burr and Jim Jeffries.

I like people who are, for some reason, referred to as "comedian's comedians", and I like north-east American humour.

Basically, if you can sell out the O2 Arena, you can jog the f*ck on.

Guest bigmatt
And I actually really like Jack Whitehall these days. I'm as surprised at that as any. But I think I might watch his DVD.

He's actually a pretty good joke writer at times. I could try and drag together some argument about why he irks me but it would be a patchwork of jealousy, hair/jeans/T-shirt brigade, lazy, "comedy career", posh/ rich boy/old Harrodian sh*t. Jealousy mainly but with a hint of genuine point in there.

He was also really young when he started which along with Daniel Sloss makes me really wary which is completely hypocritical because I love Daniel Kitson and he started when he was 15 or something.

I'll still pick his DVD up at some point. He's supposed to be great in Fresh Meat too.

Anyone up for a stand up appreciation thread, or shall I just start posting videos here? :lol

Go with whichever you thinks best. A lot of your list over laps with mine.

I can't stand British stand up. Outside of Stewart Lee, the entire industry is completely dead and artless, and it's pretty much entirely Peter Kay and Mock the Week's fault. There is a special place in hell for them.

The only place in the world making really high quality stand up comedy right now is the Boston/New York/New Jersey "Virus" clique; Louis C.K., Joe Rogan, Jim Norton, the late Patrice O'Neil, Nick Di Paolo, Colin Quinn, Doug Stanhope, Amy Schumer, Kevin Smith, Bill Burr and Jim Jeffries.

I like people who are, for some reason, referred to as "comedian's comedians", and I like north-east American humour.

Basically, if you can sell out the O2 Arena, you can jog the f*ck on.

The three American based comedians who have been recommended to me the most of the last 18 months (who I haven't seen anything of) are Bill Burr (who you mentioned), Anthony Jeselnik and Maria Bamford. Have you seen any of the last two?

Guest John Hancock

I've never heard of Anthony Jeselnik. I've heard of Maria Bamford, but I can't remember anything about her.

If I had to recommend one comedian, I'd say Louis C.K.

I'm the complete opposite to JH. I quite like the innocent, sugar coated Kay-esque British comedy around at the moment.

I don't like Louis C.K, and the funniest thing Jim Jeffries has done is the anal bead story.

I don't like the trend of British comedians who are always on about sex. No matter how funny the person is, I have zero interest in hearing about their sex life.

Russell Howard pisses me off in that way, everything has to relate back to sex."I saw a goat eating some straw the other day, it was like watching one of the hairy bikers go down on an OAP" *rolls eyes*