Fan Clubs (beta)

Random News and Comment thread 2013

King

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this news is over a week old but my God that is serious money for a game!!

In a press release earlier this morning, Activision announced that "Call of Duty: Black Ops 2" has sold over $500 million within it's first 24 hours of release. Five hundred million dollars in 24 hours. Not only does that set records across the board, it smashes their own record set by Modern Warfare 3 at $400 million last year.

Same as the US Forum folks, please post whatever news and comments about any game ye damn well please in here.

:)

What was wrong with the old thread?

Rumour has it (according to the PSN homescreen) that Batman: Arkham City will be the next big-name title to be free on the PlayStation Network for PS+ subscribers.

Guest John Hancock
People buy it for the multiplayer at this point I think, which is a pretty good racket, because it means that, if you want to keep playing, you have to buy the new one every years, because everyone else will, and no one will play the old one anymore.

I assume we're not getting a third Batman game, but does anyone know for sure?
I've read in some magazines and on IGN that they're working on a third game, but it will be a prequel dealing with Batman's first meeting with Joker.

From Wiki -:

"In July 2012, Variety published a report that Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment was looking to make Rocksteady's next Batman game a prequel based on the Silver Age of Comic Books, and featuring the characters Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and the Flash. The report suggested that the game would explore Batman's first confrontation with the Joker, and that it would have a release date of no earlier than 2014."

Here are some links about it -:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118056432

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/11/report-rocksteadys-next-batman-game-to-be-a-silver-age-based-p/

So either in December or in "early 2013" I think I am going to bite the bullet and buy a Mac. My main goal is to have streaming movies and music around the house, so I'm also going to buy an Apple TV or two, and possibly a Sonos.

Just looking on the Apple webroonie at some of this terminology they use, and I need one of you geeks to decode please:

1. Mountain Lion

2. Thunderbolt

3. Fusion

4. Cloud (this is data back-up, right?)

5. Storage & Memory (I thought this was the same thing?)

And finally, I have approx 800 CDs and 250 DVDs, and I'll want cover art etc... for the lot. I think I'/m going to get the 3TB "storage", but would 1TB do?

Cheers!

Guest Anime Otaku
So either in December or in "early 2013" I think I am going to bite the bullet and buy a Mac. My main goal is to have streaming movies and music around the house, so I'm also going to buy an Apple TV or two, and possibly a Sonos.

Just looking on the Apple webroonie at some of this terminology they use, and I need one of you geeks to decode please:

1. Mountain Lion

2. Thunderbolt

3. Fusion

4. Cloud (this is data back-up, right?)

5. Storage & Memory (I thought this was the same thing?)

And finally, I have approx 800 CDs and 250 DVDs, and I'll want cover art etc... for the lot. I think I'/m going to get the 3TB "storage", but would 1TB do?

Cheers!

Memory is probably RAM which along with the CPU dictates how fast the machine runs, storage is your HD drive or solid state storage. You're riht about cloud, basically they keep a copy of some things incase it's lost on the machine or ou get a new one. I think Mountain Lion is a version of iOS, they've decide to ape Android giving diffrent versions silly names.

With storage, honestly I'd get 3TB if you can afford it, you're current lot should easily fit on 1 but IMO it'd b better to have more tha you need than find yourself short.

Edited by Anime Otaku

People buy it for the multiplayer at this point I think, which is a pretty good racket, because it means that, if you want to keep playing, you have to buy the new one every years, because everyone else will, and no one will play the old one anymore.

Normally that would be the case, but the COD series is so popular that I still know of people who play Modern Warfare 2, which is now 3 games old. Depends on how popular it is and what the new one is like. When MW3 came out, Black Ops went dead for about 2 weeks, then there was a mass resurgence of people coming back.

Random News and Comment thread.

Cheers Anime, you've been a great help.

Without wanting to start a PC vs Mac war, I've had decent spec PC's for the last 15 years or so, and they've always gone wrong when they shouldn't. Coupled with that, my current phone is an Apple (4) and it's never gone wrong. Never. It always does exactly what I want it to do, every time, and has never crashed or stalled or been a bit sh*t.

On top of that, my dad has his own company which designs and installs multiroom av and he rates Apple's system as highly as any of the high end system like Crestron.

And yes, it helps that I can afford something nice for once :).

Cheers!

Guest John Hancock
The only bad thing about having a Mac computer is that there's no games for it, but, if you've got a console, or don't play games, there's really no issues now that all Macs come with Intel thingy-ma-jigs. I've had Mac laptops since I was 19, and, at this point, you couldn't give me the best PC in the world for free. It's personal taste, but, yeah, I'm pretty set on Mac.

OSX is clunky as shit, but then so is Linux. I'm also referring exclusively to admin functions here, since I have to support these things. As a click-and-go end user, there's little to separate them and it's mostly down to preference and price.

Historically though, I've also found people who have "decent" pc's that fail a lot, well, just don't. Usually, whoever has built the box has cheaped out on things like the motherboard/HDD/Ram and gone with cheap shit, even in expensive computers.

I'd also point out that at twice the price of a semi-decent office PC and the same price as a 40+" 3D HD TV , I'd ****ing hope the Iphone never goes wrong....unless you're left handed, then you're screwed.

• 4 weeks later...

2013 Video Game Release Schedule

January

Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 – 15th January 2013

DmC: Devil May Cry – 15th January 2013

February

Dead Space 3 – 5th Febuary 2013

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time – 5th February 2013

Aliens: Colonial Marines – 12th February 2013

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance – 19th February 2013

Rayman Legends – 26th February 2013

Crysis 3 – Febuary 2013