Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

2007 Watching Thread

Guest Jimmy Redman

Guest Jimmy Redman

I figure I ought to make a thread here for me to post matches and dump all of my thoughts so as not to clutter up the rest of the board, like the 80s Project thread. Feel absolutely free to post your own 2007 matches or review things I post in here. Otherwise this is just me word vomiting as usual.

Shawn Michaels vs Edge (Street Fight), Raw 22nd January

[video=dailymotion;xquq2b]

Gloriously brutal, hate-filled street fight. Better than the 2005 version for sure. I had forgotten how pissed off Shawn was post-Hunter's quad, but Angry Shawn is just super. I need to find more of this.

Finish is out of this world killer. If you dont remember its where

Shawn goes for the Conchairto, bends down and suddenly ORTON APPEARS BEHIND HIM OUT OF NOWHERE LIKE A WIZARD and RKO. F*cking OUT OF THIS WORLD moment and surely the best of the Orton conjuring trick visuals.

Edited by Jimmy Redman

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jimmy Redman

Jeff Hardy vs Johnny Nitro (Steel Cage), New Year's Revolution

[video=youtube;ot-hYfe9GmQ]

A totally fun cage match, much like their entire series. I liked the thought that went into it, like them both working "defense" as Lawler put it instead of highspots at first, and then both busting out crazier and crazier bombs as it went on to try and land the knockout blow. Finish is spectacularly suspenseful.

DX vs Rated RKO, New Year's Revolution

[video=dailymotion;x3u0bx]

The Hunter's Quad Match. Their Cyber Sunday match was woefully uninspired, but this was exponentially better and, non-finish or not, should have made the tag team DVD instead. This was a great, long tag match. It felt really, really old school and 80s, which was probably Shawn's influence since so much of it felt like a classic Rockers match - significant babyface shine, Heel in Peril, babyface ref work, heinous cheating as a turning point, and a brutal and well built heat stretch. It was really just great work right up until Hunter's Quad. As always kudos for him gutting it out for another 5 minutes, including hitting another Spinebuster immediately after, and two Pedigrees, and all things considered they did an excellent job covering for things falling apart. People were going absolutely apesh*t for the aftermath, even with the lame no contest, so that is a job well done.

One thing that I've never seen mentioned before about this match, for obvious reasons since Hunter's Quad is pretty distracting, is that Randy Orton legitimately looks like a stabbing victim when it is over. He taps a GUSHER and there is blood everywhere in seconds. Gross, gross stuff. And appropriate too since this was just a war of a match.

Guest Jimmy Redman

Kurt Angle vs Samoa Joe (Ironman Match), TNA Final Resolution

[video=youtube;eDD1gose8bw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDD1gose8bw

The really awesome thing about Russo-era TNA is that I can watch the video package of a feud, watch the entire match, listen to the crowd and the announcers, and still have zero idea who on earth I am supposed to be cheering for.

Also, lulz at Joe's mysterious girlfriend. Ahh, 2007. The beginning of the end.

Match itself is...fine. Some good stuff, some bad. I liked the ongoing story of strategy surrounding the Ankle Lock; at first its early so you tap quickly, then mid-match you try and hold on but tap when it hurts too much, and late in the match when you're behind you CANNOT tap, no matter what. But on the other hand, after the first two matches where both men tapping was so monumental, especially with their characters, that Joe especially tapping so many times during one match seemed weird.

On the whole I dont think they did a good job of protecting Joe, especially with the finish. There are times when a guy loses and you think "That was close but that guy was just better on the day", type thing, and other times where you think "Well that guy is clearly not as good as the other guy." This came off as the latter to me. Having Joe submit numerous times in the match, and then at the end fail to make Angle submit in time made him come off pretty bad and un-Joe-like. But of course that is the story of the entire feud.

The inherent problem with the heel valiantly hanging on as the clock wore down and bravely refusing to tap to win the match is another thing entirely.

Guest Jimmy Redman

John Cena vs Umaga, New Year's Revolution

[video=dailymotion;xzslu]

Awesome, awesome match. Pro Wrestling 101. I have a feeling I am going to watch it another 20 times in the next year or so and it will become one of my absolute favourites.

Also it has to be mentioned that the crowd for NYR was AMAZING all night. Made everything better.

John Cena vs Great Khali, Raw 8th January

[video=youtube;PP6lVm8vaaE]

Saw this and thought why not. As far as 2 minute matches with no finish go...not bad at all. Its crazy seeing Khali in '07 and realising how much more athletic he was. He NAILED THE F*CK out of a Lariat. And Cena was Cena Facing a Monster. Never fails. Then we have Umaga moshing his way through the rapidly parting crowd like Stan f*cking Hansen and beating the Holy F*ck out of Cena. This was some great prowres.

Guest Jimmy Redman

Londrick vs Regal & Taylor, Smackdown 12th January

[video=youtube;5OSvnjWMj_Q]

Some Smackdown up in this. Londrick were amazing and just now coming up to the tail end of one of the best tag team title runs of the last decade. They matched up really well with Regal and Taylor because Regal and Taylor would just beat the utter f*ck out of them. Plus, JBL. A great TV tag match.

Shawn Michaels vs Rated RKO, Raw 15th January

[video=youtube;3YwmR2ebPuc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YwmR2ebPuc

VQ is pretty bad but still, this is one of the most effective handicap matches I've ever seen. Everyone involved from the workers to the announcers was magnificent at getting across the idea that one top guy against two top guys was going to be absolutely annihilated and it would be a miracle if he escaped with his career intact. Which is really the whole entire point of running a handicap match. Plus the violent nature of the DX/Rated RKO feud and the fact that Hunter was just seriously injured really helped the air of danger for Shawn as well.

I had never in my mind remembered this feud as being anything much, but I was pretty wrong because everything I have seen from them since the Cyber Sunday match has been excellent.

And Raw in the first half of 2007 was the last time it was a better wrestling show than Smackdown for any significant amount of time.

Edited by Jimmy Redman

Guest Jimmy Redman

I am being frustrated by my Rumble tape suddenly refusing to work, so we move on.

Shawn Michaels & John Cena vs MVP & Kennedy, Smackdown 16th February

[video=youtube;rjlMOxSIh-E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjlMOxSIh-E

The Raw tag champs vs Team What Should Have Been. Great main event tag match, even though it wasnt actually the main event. Cena is the best worker in the match standing on the apron; in an alternate universe that guy is the greatest tag team wrestler of all time. This mainly just makes me all the more pissed off that we never got Cena working MVP and Kennedy in title programs in what was then the future.

Guest Jimmy Redman

Bobby Lashley vs Randy Orton, ECW 13th March

[video=youtube;O_oGKcdtpag]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_oGKcdtpag

I had no idea this match existed and it sounded far too fascinating on paper to pass up.

Alas, it was pretty meh. Lashley brings NOTHING to this match, absolutely zero, but luckily Orton is working for more than two men. He brings some downright cool ass sh*t to this match. He stomps the f*ck out of Lashley on the steps (and here he sings out "How do you like that Bobb-ay?!" in the most utterly surreal thing I've ever heard), and grabs him into slingshot position, but instead of doing the slingshot or turning into a crab, he just holds the guy there upside down with his head drilling into the mat, which is something I dont think I've seen anyone ever do. Not to mention pushing his head onto the top rope for extra leverage during the crab. Orton ruled in this. Lashley, however, sucked. More research is needed there.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jimmy Redman

Christian Cage vs Samoa Joe, Destination X

[video=youtube;fy6fBklUrPI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy6fBklUrPI

Decided to watch this instead of the PPV today, and too much Cool Sh*t in this match means it was the right decision. The early walk away, the brutal ass SLAM on the floor, the crowd brawl, Joe's SPEAR TO THE FLOOR and landing on his head, REYING Christian with a kick. etc. Joe was busting out quite a bit here. Also thought Tenay and West did a mighty decent job and them cheering so hard for Joe and going so insane when things started to go wrong added a lot.

The drawbacks were the kicking out of what are, to me, protected finishers, and the gigantic TNA schmozz at the end. Not that you can expect anything less. I feel like they have a much, much better match in them, but still this was on the better end of TNA NWA Title matches.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jimmy Redman

SHL, I found it! I really found it guys.

This is a genuinely good light tube match.

Takashi Sasaki vs Yuko Miyamoto (Construction Site Death Match), BJW 14/3

[video=youtube;tH62dVRAokY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH62dVRAokY

Seriously this is pretty spectacular. It eliminates the main issue I have with light tube matches by being all "I will use these extra weapons they have provided to hurt you with", rather than "Quick guys, we have to smash all these light tubes before the bell rings again!" They actually appear as though they are trying to beat the crap out of each other, and not just playing with some cool smasher-upper-er toys.

Which they do. Sasaki starts LEAKING BLOOD FROM HIS EYE off the first shot and it doesnt really stop for the next half hour, and Miyamoto returns in kind with his own crimson mask. They actually build to big spots really well, particularly the lighttube bridge powerbomb. All of the Scaffold stuff is COMPLETELY INSANE - the Double Stomp, the Moonsault and the driver through the table were all utterly, mind blowingly, completely f*cking nuts. But again this was so much more than just crazy stunts. Miyamoto is Ricky Morton, feeding off the crowd and having the match of his life, throwing everything he possibly could at Sasaki, the baddest light tube mofo on the BJW planet.

Complete and utter overkill insanity, in the best possible way.

Edited by Jimmy Redman

SHL, I found it! I really found it guys.

This is a genuinely good light tube match.

Takashi Sasaki vs Yuko Miyamoto (Construction Site Death Match), BJW 14/3

[video=youtube;tH62dVRAokY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH62dVRAokY

Seriously this is pretty spectacular. It eliminates the main issue I have with light tube matches by being all "I will use these extra weapons they have provided to hurt you with", rather than "Quick guys, we have to smash all these light tubes before the bell rings again!" They actually appear as though they are trying to beat the crap out of each other, and not just playing with some cool smasher-upper-er toys.

Which they do. Sasaki starts LEAKING BLOOD FROM HIS EYE off the first shot and it doesnt really stop for the next half hour, and Miyamoto returns in kind with his own crimson mask. They actually build to big spots really well, particularly the lighttube bridge powerbomb. All of the Scaffold stuff is COMPLETELY INSANE - the Double Stomp, the Moonsault and the driver through the table were all utterly, mind blowingly, completely f*cking nuts. But again this was so much more than just crazy stunts. Miyamoto is Ricky Morton, feeding off the crowd and having the match of his life, throwing everything he possibly could at Sasaki, the baddest light tube mofo on the BJW planet.

Complete and utter overkill insanity, in the best possible way.

One of the things I was trying to argue during all those deathmatch arguments were the existence of matches such as this, which BJW has done countless times. They aren't just people standing around hitting each other with weapons.

But no one would listen to me.....

Guest Jimmy Redman

There's a difference between taking the word of someone whom you have wildly different taste from, and actually seeing something for yourself.

To be fair this is the first lighttube match I've seen that was actually good and worked like a proper match, and I've seen far more lighttube matches than I care to at this point. I'm just glad I finally found one.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jimmy Redman

Wrestlemania 23

I aint posting all these matches, its Mania, you've all seen them and they're easy to find.

Money in the Bank 3

Amazeballs collection of never ending spots, and on a good day my favourite of all the MITBs. Love, love, love it.

Kane vs Great Khali

I had completely forgot that Kane brought that hook and chain thing from his movie to the ring. This was the slam and nothing else, basically. Not everyone is invited to the Khali Club.

Chris Benoit vs MVP

This is great as MVP's coming out party as a wrestler. He'd never shown it before and people bought into the gimmick so they started working holds here and MVP knocked everyone out. Creepy as his continued public admiration for Benoit is, MVP damn sure should appreciate him professionally because Benoit was unbelievably giving and made him look like a million bucks. Using the headbutt as the finish was cool too.

The Donald no selling the Boogey will never not be awesome.

Undertaker vs Batista

Holy Moses. You know its so hard to remember now, but at the time the best thing about this was how unexpected it was. NOBODY saw this coming. Taker before 2007 wasnt such a sure thing, and Batista by this point had become a joke as an in-ring worker. Remember how Ken Kennedy dragged his ass to a good match at the Rumble? Dave did an interview before Mania claiming they were going to steal the show and he was heartily ROFLd at. And then they had the last ROFL. Just an awesome, balls out, bomb throwing war.

New Breed vs ECW Originals

I miss Elijah Burke's Music.

The first minute of this with Striker standing around taking Sabu's horrible sh*t was pretty painful. Thankfully Monty Brown is suplexing people all over the place. i miss that guy, what a shame. OK, Striker is totally redeemed for his AWESOME pinballing for RVD. I'm sure his monkey flip sell is on Youtube. Sabu just somersaulted to the floor and landed on his head. He's been the sh*ttiest wrestler alive in this match. This wasnt anything.

Battle of the Billionaires

OH SH*T I forgot that the barber's chair had his own entrance. I love wrestling.

F*ck I love Umaga. In this match he took a flat back bump diving over the top rope to the floor, a Ric Flair comedy bump from the top rope and a 360 cruiserweight flip bump off a clothesline. He was WORKING like a mofo. God I miss him. Lashley himself was actually working too, and took his own equally absurd bump to the floor. At this point this is easily his second best performance in a singles match, and probably second best singles match period.

All of the extracurricular bullsh*t was great fun as well. Austin the Badass Referee. Shane's HATED interference. The Donald LARIAT-OHing the f*ck out of Vince, hammerfisting him Brock-style, and then calmly getting up and walking away was glorious. Austin also took an ALMIGHTY bump off the Samoan Spike. Vince trying to crawl away. Just a total blast from beginning to end.

Melina vs Ashley

Remember Trinity's cup of coffee in WWE?

Man, even I can admit that Ashley sucked. What a wrong turn she took post-Trish. The most amazing thing about this match is that Ashley goes for a flying elbow, Cole calls it the "Starstruck", and I am flabbergasted that a) she actually had a finish that I never knew existed and b) Michael Cole DID know it existed. Incredible. Anyway, no, this sucked.

John Cena vs Shawn Michaels

Only watched this a couple of months ago, but what the hell, its a Cena '07 main event. Its funny how Shawn kept coming out to DX music as DX Shawn for so many months after Hunter's Quad. "I got a job to do!" Thats right, we had Douchebag Shawn in 2007.

I have done a complete 180 on the leg sell. I now have my own theory about it. It was never ever mentioned in this way and I've never seen anyone else offer up the same theory, so this is just my way of making sense out of the match in front of me. But you know how in real life you can pop your shoulder or kneecap out of place, and then it pops back in? THAT is what this was. Shawn hits Cena at a bad angle and BAM, his knee pops out. He's immediately SCREAMING and pushing Shawn away and clearly something is very wrong. He wails as it gets worked over. I never thought about it until now, but its like if Shawn had put his Figure Four on him at this point, he would have tapped. But he didnt, and then at some point Cena lunges out of the way for a posting, something happened there because he tests out the knee, gets to his feet, puts weight on it, and its...OK. Its back into place now. Viewing it in those terms makes a lot of sense. Plus I've always loved Cena's hardcore screaming leg sell, and the way he slowly, carefully got to his feet and made completely sure he could stand on his leg before going BAM LARIAT was great. So yes, I am totes down with the leg work now.

Cena threw a lot of great Lariats in this. He always needs to throw more Lariats. Anyway this was just awesome sh*t yet again, it never gets old for me. The second half was chock full of great sh*t - the piledriver and Cena's dead sell and bleeding from the back of his head. All of the FU teases and final delivery and kickout. Cena being Ref'd into the SUPERKICK. All of the awesome counters and counters and counters. Even Shawn's hand work when he was in the STF before tapping was awesome. I love this forever. WM23 RULED.

Guest Jayfunk
Undertaker vs Batista

Holy Moses. You know its so hard to remember now, but at the time the best thing about this was how unexpected it was. NOBODY saw this coming. Taker before 2007 wasnt such a sure thing, and Batista by this point had become a joke as an in-ring worker. Remember how Ken Kennedy dragged his ass to a good match at the Rumble? Dave did an interview before Mania claiming they were going to steal the show and he was heartily ROFLd at. And then they had the last ROFL. Just an awesome, balls out, bomb throwing war.

I love how taker in the lastest 10 years can carry anyone to a decent match even out of Dave

Guest Fatherof10minis

I was there for Wrestlemania 23 in my hometown of Detroit and all the matches I agree with. I remember it like it was yesterday still. I put it 2nd on my list of greatest live shows i have been gone too. Second only to Monday Night Raw when austin drove in the zamboni at the Joe Louis Arena. Plus the fact a lower bowl ticket at wrestlemania is not easy to get your paws on. I actually met Mic Foley and referee Mike Kiota (spelling could be wrong on last name) who were out in the crowds outside Ford Field for WM23 and got autographs from both.

I remember a thread a few months back about guys who put guys over or on the map and Benoit putting MVP on the map is one of the best examples of that.

Guest Jimmy Redman
I love how taker in the lastest 10 years can carry anyone to a decent match even out of Dave

Dave wasnt carried. He stepped up big time and contributed just as much to the match as Taker did. He was great in this. He and Taker brought it out of each other, they had chemistry, and it was the start of both of them having a resurgence as a worker.

Guest Jimmy Redman

John Cena vs Shawn Michaels, Raw 23/4

[video=youtube;C8p9IBITM6I]

Holy f*ck. Just holy f*ck.

Every time I re-watch this I half expect the length to finally get to me and make me turn on the match. Not only does that never happen (easiest hour of wrestling to watch ever), but I keep finding more and more little things to love each time. There is so, so, SOOOOOO much Cool Sh*t and magnificent small details that add to this, so much so that I cant even do my usual and list every single one of them. There were far too many.

Cena was just spectacularly good in this. After watching the Umaga match I wondered why on earth I thought this match was even close to that level. Now, I know. Umaga is still his best match and performance, but this is so close its ridiculous. Every single second of this match he was 'on' and just working like a madman. Every move, every cover, every expression, every taunt, every bit of selling, it was all just incredibly spot on. Cena in '07 people. A third of the way through the year and he's already had four MOTYCs and put on a masterful performance in all of them.

And that isnt to sell Shawn short either. He's amazing in this and what struck me most of all is how perfectly 'in character' he works. If this sh*t was real and Cena tried to put the STF on you in the first 2 minutes, you would react EXACTLY like Shawn did - kicking him the F*CK off you and getting pissed off at his presumption. Even though these are babyface title matches, you really get the sense from the bell-to-bell that they dont like each other and do NOT want to lose to the other under any circumstances. And thus, this never ending battle of wills.

I will mention one micro detail, which actually happened after the match. Shawn celebrates for a few minutes in the ring post-match, selling utter death. The first time the ref tries to raise his hand he's selling and eventually allows him to do it very gingerly. A minute or so later the ref comes up again and YANKS Shawn's arm in the air, Shawn winces and gives him this glaring look like "Are you a complete moron? I'm HURT." Just things on the most minute of levels like that. These guys were working out of their skins from beginning to end. Awesome match, five stars, etc. and etc.

Edited by Jimmy Redman

Guest Jimmy Redman

ECW Originals vs New Breed (Extreme Rules Rematch), ECW 3/4

[video=youtube;XaY7uyn4yEM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaY7uyn4yEM

Possibly the most ECW match that WWECW ever had.

This is Under Ten Minutes and an exercise in complete and utter chaos. All action, all spots, all throwing metal objects in people's faces. Balls to the wall. Lots of brutal headshots in this, the best ones being Monty giving Dreamer a Cena Spinny Side Slam and cracking his head on a chair, and Thorn going for the Tower of London and getting horrifically chaired in the face. Finish, like the rest of the match, just walks up and hits you upside the head. Total unadulterated fun from beginning to end, and like I said this felt more like an ECW match than possibly any other WWECW match in its history.

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity