Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

'Retired' Match Types That You Would Love To See Return

TPIB

Remember the first ever Barbed Wire Steel Cage Match in the WWE? How about the Championship Scramble or Empty Arena Match? Throughout wrestling's long and storied history, there have been countless match types, some good, some epic, and some just god awful, that, for one reason or no reason at all, have simply gone away or have been unofficially 'retired' (for the time being). Anybody who reads any of my threads know that I love lists and statistics, so here are some of the matches in wrestling history that have not been seen in quite some time. Which ones do you want to see make a comeback and which ones are you glad got 'buried alive'?

The number in parantheses next to the match type indicates how many matches of that type took place (a "?" means that I don't know for sure).

Empty Arena Match (1)

First & Last Appearance: Halftime Heat- January 31, 1999 (The Rock vs. Mankind)

Championship Scramble (3)

First & Last Appearance: Unforgiven- September 7, 2008 (WWE Title, World Title, & ECW Title)

Buried Alive Match (5)

First Appearance: In Your House 11: Buried Alive- October 20, 1996 (Undertaker vs. Mankind)

Last Appearance: Bragging Rights- October 24, 2010 (Kane vs. Undertaker)

3 Stages of Hell (3)

First Appearance: Armageddon- December 15, 2002 (Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels)

Last Appearance: The Bash- June 28, 2009 (Triple H vs. Randy Orton)

Boiler Room Brawl (6)

First Appearance: SummerSlam- August 18, 1996 (Mankind vs. The Undertaker)

Last Appearance: RAW- December 20, 1999 (Triple H vs. Mankind)

First Blood Match (15 in WWE, WCW, & ECW)

First Appearance: King of the Ring- June 28, 1998 (Kane vs. Stone Cold)

Last Appearance: Survivor Series- November 26, 2006 (Undertaker vs. Mr. Kennedy)

Iron Man Match (30-Minute or 60-Minute) (10 in WWE & WCW)

First Appearance: WCW Beach Blast- June 20, 1992 (Rick Rude vs. Ricky Steamboat)

Last Appearance: Bragging Rights- October 25, 2009 (John Cena vs. Randy Orton)

Sumo Match (1)

First & Last Appearance: WrestleMania 21- April 3, 2005 (Big Show vs. Akebono)

Cruiserweight Open (4)

First Appearance: WrestleMania XX (?)- March 14, 2004

Last Appearance: The Great American Bash- July 22, 2007

Tag Team Turmoil (?)

First Appearance: SummerSlam- August 22, 1999

Last Appearance: WWE NXT- May 31, 2011

Barbed Wire Steel Cage Match (1 in WWE)

First & Last Appearance (?): No Way Out- February 20, 2005 (JBL vs. Big Show)

Punjabi Prison Match (2)

First Appearance: The Great American Bash- July 23, 2006 (Undertaker vs. Big Show)

Last Appearance: No Mercy- October 7, 2007 (Batista vs. The Great Khali)

Kennel from Hell Match (1)

First & Last Appearance: Unforgiven- September 26, 1999 (Al Snow vs. Big Boss Man)

Lion's Den Match (3)

First Appearance: SummerSlam- August 30, 1998 (Owen Hart vs. Ken Shamrock)

Last Appearance: SummerSlam- August 22, 1999 (Ken Shamrock vs. Steve Blackman)

Original WarGames Match (28)

First Appearance: The Great American Bash- July 4, 1987

Last Appearance: Fall Brawl- September 14, 1997

1998 WarGames Match (Three-Team)

First & Last Appearance: Fall Brawl- September 13, 1998

WarGames 2000 Match (Russo's Three Tier Cage Match)

First & Last Appearance: Nitro- September 4, 2000

Scaffold Match (18)

First Appearance: 1971 (Jerry Jarrett vs. Don Greene)

Last Appearance: Fall Brawl- September 17, 2000

Inferno Match (3)

First Appearance: Unforgiven: In Your House- April 26, 1998 (Kane vs. Undertaker)

Last Appearance: Armageddon- December 17, 2006 (Kane vs. MVP)

Champion of Champions Match (1)

First & Last Appearance: Cyber Sunday- November 5, 2006

40-Man Royal Rumble Match (1)

First & Last Appearance: Royal Rumble- January 30, 2011

Now, I realize that the Cruiserweight Open concept was for the now defunct Cruiserweight Title, but, to me, that does not mean that they could not bring the same match back and call it something different and have it take place for a different championship.

I also realize that it may seem silly to put matches like the Punjabi Prison Match or the Kennel from Hell Match on this list given how notoriously horrendous these match types were, but I wanted to at least include them on the off-chance that there is someone out there who actually liked those matches.

Out of all of these and other match types, I would love to see another Empty Arena Match. That match is still emblazoned in my mind after all these years (believe it or not, I have not even watched that match since I originally saw it in 1999). It was so delightfully awkward and innovative.

I would also love to see the Championship Scramble make a comeback. I think that it was a really neat, interesting idea that would still work great today. I still don't understand why they stopped doing the Scramble match, but it probably had something to do with an overabundance of gimmick pay-per-views at the time (which, if you remember correctly, Unforgiven was built around the concept that year as there were three Scramble Matches on the show).

Edited by TPIB

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jayfunk
WarGames Match (28)

First Appearance: The Great American Bash- July 4, 1987

Last Appearance: Fall Brawl- September 14, 1997

that can't be right? wargames occured in 1998 and in 2000

that can't be right? wargames occured in 1998 and in 2000

Yeah, I had a hard time deciding on that. Technically, WarGames did take place in 1998 and 2000, but those were different versions of WarGames then the original run of the match.

Guest Jayfunk
Yeah, I had a hard time deciding on that. Technically, WarGames did take place in 1998 and 2000, but those were different versions of WarGames then the original run of the match.

I guess also in terms of the rules lethal lockdown is technically wargames as well

Guest Jimmy Redman

MCMG vs Bucks on Reaction as well.

There 100% needs to be more tag team turmoil type matches. Especially now that they have all these teams. Would be a great way to get them all on PPV at some point.

We are about ripe for another Ironman match too. Cena and Punk could have a great one.

I love Empty Arena and even wrote a 5-on-5 version in E-Wrestling in 2003. Well, I wrote half of it, but it would prove to be the longest match I'd write for almost a decade.

War Games after 97 had teams, but spewed up an individual winner. Fall Brawl 1998 was dubbed 'the worst PPV in history' when reviewed by Power Slam.

I like most of the speciality matches Taker's famous for. HIAC is common obviously, but the Casket and Buried Alive matches are different. Then again to have them without him would be a bit strange. Foley's famous for the Boiler Room matches too and I also enjoyed the one he had with Big Show at Backlash 99, I believe. Far better than their Mania one.

Regarding the sumo match, Earthquake and Yokozuna had one in 1994. Earthquake won.

Guest Jamster26
There's been at least one other empty arena match than rock V Mankind as well TPIB. Lawler V Funk is the original I believe.

Does Kurt Angle V Sting count?

Guest Jimmy Redman

Yeah, it was already mentioned above.

And Jammy, just for you since you are the one, when I get to Unforgiven 2007 I will watch the Punjabi Prison.

Guest Jimmy Redman
Wasnt the Hunter one on the night he had to run the gauntlet of Six Pack challengers on Smackdown? And he worked Kane in the Inferno match?

did i miss the amount of casket matchs, TPIb, or did you not include them?

I'd like to see the championship scramble return. It was a good way to gauge crowd reactions for potential future champions. I remember Jeff hardy being in one a couple of months before he actually won the belt for real and the crowd went ape-shit whenever he got a pinfall, despite the fact he still wasn't 'official' champion.

Scramble matches. Bring them back for a night, maybe a RAW sometime in the future. The matches are so much fun and they're one of the best things on the WWE games when you're playing with a few mates.

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity