Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

Hopes, Dreams and Fears for 2013

Guest Jimmy Redman

Guest Jimmy Redman

Seen as its the 22nd and 2013 now officially has the green light to go ahead, let us take a minute to ponder the upcoming year.

What are you looking forward to happening?

What do you dearly wish to happen...that probably wont materialise?

What do you expect to happen that you are absolutely dreading?

Who are the breakout stars? What new faces, if any, will win a world title?

Will the business as a whole see any significant changes, and what would they be?

And finally what is your absolutely crazy, completely unrealistic, pie-in-the-sky wrestling dream for 2013? For this I dont mean "Eddie Guerrero comes back from the dead" unrealistic, something that is capable of actually happening, but just is very, very unlikely. Keep in mind a couple years ago I could have said "Awesome Kong coming to WWE and destroying all the Barbie Dolls", and a few of you might well have said "CM Punk holds the WWE Title for 14 months straight" or "Jon Moxley debuts in the main event", so my point is...you never know. Have a go at tempting the wrestling gods.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know. Consistently good wrestling, I guess.

Blood being unbanned.

Another Randy Orton title reign.

I'd like to see Ryback win a world title. The Sheild should be breakout stars if used properly.

Will the business as a whole see any significant changes, and what would they be?

None I can think of.

And finally what is your absolutely crazy, completely unrealistic, pie-in-the-sky wrestling dream for 2013? For this I dont mean "Eddie Guerrero comes back from the dead" unrealistic, something that is capable of actually happening, but just is very, very unlikely. Keep in mind a couple years ago I could have said "Awesome Kong coming to WWE and destroying all the Barbie Dolls", and a few of you might well have said "CM Punk holds the WWE Title for 14 months straight" or "Jon Moxley debuts in the main event", so my point is...you never know. Have a go at tempting the wrestling gods.

My wrestling dream has been the same every year for who knows how long now: WWE doing deathmatches. And while it will probably never happen, they have got ex-deathmatch wrestlers on the roster now, Jon Moxley/Dean Ambrose being the main one.

I can just imagine it now: Mick Foley vs Dean Ambrose, No-Ropes Barbed Wire, Tables, Ladders, Chairs, Beds of Nails, Beds of Thumbtacks, Barbed Wire Bat, Lighttube Bundles, Panes of Glass, Deathmatch. At WrestleMania.....

Mick Foley should never have another wrestling match unless it's for comedic purposes (like teaming with Santino). He's too broken down and would never be able to capture the magic he had in his last great outings against / teaming with Edge.

I'll go into more depth later, but I'd like to put out a shout for Big E. Langston to be the breakout star next year. I've been following him since the new NXT launched and he has a ton of potential. The guy can move, he can talk, he has a great look, he comes across as a mean sumbitch and I think his finisher is ace.

Also, if they bring over the Five-Count gimmick and really push that, I feel he'll stand out from the crowd.

Guest John Hancock
Mick Foley should never have another wrestling match unless it's for comedic purposes (like teaming with Santino). He's too broken down and would never be able to capture the magic he had in his last great outings against / teaming with Edge.

I don't think Foley will ever wrestle again, and I hope I'm right. The poor guy can barely walk, it's just depressing at this point.

Guest The Beltster
I agree he shouldn't wrestle again, but his last great outing wasn't against Edge in my opinion. I thought his street fight with Flair in TNA was really good, shocking considering both of them were, at that point, completely useless.

I still think Foley has a few decent matches left in him. He might not be able to go at a pace like he did a few years ago but he'll always sell well and be able to tell a story, so whilst he's in a bad condition, I think he'd be alright for a few more bouts. I think all these broken down guys, like Hogan, Flair, Austin etc., could all have a few more matches. They might be horrible physically but if they keep that at a minimum and focus on psychology, the crowd will still buy into it.

It'd help his Foley if he lost a bit of weight. He's carrying an extra 50lbs of fat which is no good for his already beaten up joints.

Guest John Hancock
He looks like a blimp.

As in he looks like the Hindenburg, post-crash.

As guy who's favourite wrester EVER is Mick Foley, the next time Foley wrestles will make me very sad.

Guest Canned Heat

The Shield developing more as characters.

What SL said, I want blood.

More Goldberg chants.

I think Ryback will truly cement himself as a star with a title win over Show. And freaking Dean Ambrose.

The return of a certain beer swelling snake around next January should shake the business up quite a bit..

Ryback turns heel and becomes one of the IWC's favorite wrestlers.

1. The Shield cementing themselves as a force to be reckoned with.

2. THE ROYAL RUMBLE!! Punk vs. Rock make my world a better place.

3. Where Punk goes from here when he inevitably loses the WWE Title sometime over the next 12 months.

4. Dolph's cash in

5. The Big E bandwagon rolling on... (expect FIVE!! FIVE!! FIVE!! FIVE!! to be THE big chant next year)

Brad Maddox getting a fair crack of the whip, because he's actually a damn entertaining lil' sonuvagun. The guy can talk, has a great character, and could be something really good for WWE. If he gets a fair chance.

CM Punk losing the title. Mainly because I don't feel there are any faces right now that have the momentum or deserve to be champion. Well except maybe Sheamus, but he's all up in a Big Show feud.

Antonio Cesaro should go from strength to strength in 2013. I'd expect to see him making his way up the card after Mania season is done and dusted. As I said earlier, Brad Maddox could be something great as far as I'm concerned. Big E has to be up there too. Bray Wyatt needs to get onto the main shows ASAP, especially with the whole cult leader schtick. In fact, after saying there are no faces to challenge Punk anymore, I say they give Kofi a go. Punk and Kofi are super best buddies, which makes me think they could potentially pull off something spectacular as long as creative didn't try to get too involved in the whole thing. Obviously Dolph needs to win a title this year too. He's ready.

Doubtful. Now Linda's been throughly trounced...again, I'd hope to see the business move away from the whole PG rating thing slightly. I can see the indies being take a lot more seriously as a source of talent by the big companies, especially since we've successfully had Punk, Bryan, Cesaro, The Shield, and to a certain extent Ohno. It wouldn't surprise me to see more "IWC darlings" getting better chances in WWE.

As far as the UK goes I'm hoping that a company can make moves in the right direction to see about securing a TV deal.

-MCMG to WWE. It has to happen.

-Rockstar Spud to win TNA British Bootcamp, and actually ends up as one of the best things about Impact every week.

-Noam Dar gets signed by one of the big two within the next 12 months

Guest Jimmy Redman

I dont think that Foley/Flair TNA match was good at all. I remember watching it and just feeling sad, more than anything, that both guys were reduced to such brainless, painful sh*t in front of the f*cking Impact Zone. It was a really unimpressive attempt at a garbage match, and thoroughly depressing for those involved.

Their Summerslam match was better, but I'm someone who doesnt even think that was all that good. I think Foley's last great match was the ONS 2 six-person match.

Guest The Beltster

What difference does it matter what crowd they were in front of? I've heard this before and its such a f*cking stupid thing to even mention. So because its in front of the Impact Zone or any other small crowd, they shouldnt bother even trying or put any effort in, right? :lol F*ck off! Thats bent! On every level. Flair and Foley get paid the same regardless of crowd size in TNA, so the amount of people there or the amount watching on TV shouldnt even come into it, at all. EVER! And thats not even taking into account personal pride in their work. It's not like these guys had a gun held to their heads and were forced to take some risks, they wanted to, they did and it was a pretty good match, especially considering both guys condition at the time. I remember I enjoyed it and I'm not a fan of either bloke. So mission accomplished.

As for saying their match at SummerSlam was better, well yeah, but whats your point? We arent comparing matches, plus there was 4 years between those matches, obviously 2 old guys who were 4 years younger were generally going to have a better match.

Edited by The Beltster

Guest Jimmy Redman

Someone brought up "Foley's last great match" so my answer to that is what my point was in comparing the matches. I was working backwards.

And on the crowd thing, its not like all of what you're saying is untrue, but it still makes a difference. Its like when people talk about indy wrestling and say "some geeks in a high school gym with 12 people watching". Maybe you're right in that it shouldnt matter, but it does. A small and/or uninterested crowd makes things look bush league, less important, even kind of silly. Atmosphere makes a difference to a match. I'm not suggesting that wrestlers shouldnt try hard or that other people cant enjoy the matches they have, but I personally didnt, and I personally was not impressed with them doing the ridiculous things they did for what I see as such a paltry reward.

This is all by the by because the main thing is that I didnt like the match. Not just because of the context, I remember thinking it was a painfully average garbage brawl that was a bunch of not even particularly impressive spots and nothing more.

And on another note, there are a LOT of levels of effort between "shouldnt bother trying at all" and 'taking stupid bumps onto the concrete floor and all manner of other things".

Guest Ciaran The King

I'm looking forward to Punk walking in to WM as champ and then walking out still champ

Really wanna see WWE push on with the Shield, Big E, Dolph, Cesaro and make the tag team division relevant again. Also can't wait for Orton's long overdue heel turn which will propel him back to the top of the card and hopefully being the man to put Dolph over properly for Dolph's long overdue and hugely anticipated title reign. I would also like to see a Cena heel turn which needs to happen, not just because I can't detest the character but it really needs refereshing

Guest The Beltster
And on the crowd thing, its not like all of what you're saying is untrue, but it still makes a difference. Its like when people talk about indy wrestling and say "some geeks in a high school gym with 12 people watching". Maybe you're right in that it shouldnt matter, but it does. A small and/or uninterested crowd makes things look bush league, less important, even kind of silly. Atmosphere makes a difference to a match. I'm not suggesting that wrestlers shouldnt try hard or that other people cant enjoy the matches they have, but I personally didnt, and I personally was not impressed with them doing the ridiculous things they did for what I see as such a paltry reward.
Impact isn't an indy show in a high school gym, its an international TV show with guys who are making in Foley and Flairs case, hundres of thousands of dollars. Massive difference, you cant even begin to compare the two, at all. It shouldn't matter and if it does, then you have no pride in your work. Obviously to Flair and Foley it did matter for them to go out and put on the match they did, and good for them, it shows you care about your work. And whats a paltry reward? $20,000 for Flair for that match or $10,000 for Foley? Not a bad reward I'd say, for 15-20 minutes of work.

This whole attitude that fans (not wrestlers, its the fans!) have that because the crowd in Orlando is small and not always into something, they just shouldn't even bother or they shouldn't take risks is such garbage. I hate it, its such a dumb way of looking at things.

This is all by the by because the main thing is that I didnt like the match. Not just because of the context, I remember thinking it was a painfully average garbage brawl that was a bunch of not even particularly impressive spots and nothing more.

And on another note, there are a LOT of levels of effort between "shouldnt bother trying at all" and 'taking stupid bumps onto the concrete floor and all manner of other things".

Is there? Like what? Foley and Flair cant work the way they used to work, they have to rely on crazy bumps, comedy and shortcuts. And there is a long history of bad blood between them, so this is the sort of match which made sense for them to have. The stuff they did worked in the context of the match, so whats the problem?

Just for the sake of mentioning it aswell, if you take a crazy bump in front of 1000 people in the Impact Zone or 70,000 people at WrestleMania, it still hurts just as much and just for the record, there are generally more people watching a weekly episode of Impact on TV than there are watching WrestleMania on PPV...so Impact is actually seen by a bigger audience, right? So......

Guest Fatherof10minis

Damien Sandow will be a breakout star next year.

Feed me more Dean Ambrose any day of the week. He is very Brian Pillmanesque.

Would love to Undertaker in a streak match against the entire Shield in a handicap match. The rub alone would make the Shield huge.

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity